Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Moles in the lounge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Ever hear of Belle Du Jour?

Started as an online diary, very interesting stuff, in a non PG way.

Yeah, I had a nose on that after I started watching Secret Diary of a Call Girl, (if that's what you are talking about :pac:) which it supposedly based on. Series is great.
    She even turned it into a book, which I have been thinking of getting.

I have a couple of diaries from my early teens.
    I read back through them and can't believe some of the trivial things I was worried about and how immature my mind was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Which the author of "The girl with the one track mind" did as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yup i have a diary. It's called my brain :).

The one thing that college has screwed for me is i can not use a pen no more. I hate exam periods when i have to use a pen for two hours straight and it's the only time i use a pen nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Which the author of "The girl with the one track mind" did as well.

Yeah... her blog's gone to crap now though. I think those particular examples might actually be part of why blogs are so prevalent now... everyone thinks it's a fast track to a book deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The one thing that college has screwed for me is i can not use a pen no more.
    Me too. I type as much as I possibly can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kept one since i was 13, on vol. 3 or 4 now but i havent written in it for... at least half a year i'd say.
    also lazy about pen-writing but wouldn't keep one online =)

as for privacy, making my handwriting a deliberate scrawl only I can read, ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭CeilingCat

Aw I miss keeping a written journal... I kept one for years and years but then I got rid of them all because I didn't want them to be found and read by others. Very sorry I did that now :(

It's true about handwriting it being more therapeutic than typing it.... don't know why that is, more personal I guess.

Now, I have a blogger account that only I can read but I rarely post anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I keep a diary so that I remember to do stuff. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The one thing that college has screwed for me is i can not use a pen no more. I hate exam periods when i have to use a pen for two hours straight and it's the only time i use a pen nowadays.

I'm the exact same now because of college aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

JaneyMc wrote: »
    I have a couple of diaries from my early teens.
    I read back through them and can't believe some of the trivial things I was worried about and how immature my mind was.

The whole point of such things is to be able to look back and see how much personal development may have taken place.:)
    shellyboo wrote: »
    Yeah... her blog's gone to crap now though. I think those particular examples might actually be part of why blogs are so prevalent now... everyone thinks it's a fast track to a book deal!

Very true. If people actually knew how hard it is to get a book deal they would think twice before starting their efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dragan wrote: »
    Very true. If people actually knew how hard it is to get a book deal they would think twice before starting their efforts.

It's a very good time to get one tho.

Global recession everyone is out there looking for "more" "define me"

Start a half decent self help bolloxy site with a half decent post of some re-hashed dribble from any self help book _every_ day

decent bit of SEO/Marketing and the book deal shouldn't be too long in coming.

You just need the bit of staying power to get it done every day which a lot of people lack but if you can do it and have the right topic there's plenty of people doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ntlbell wrote: »
    You just need the bit of staying power to get it done every day which a lot of people lack but if you can do it and have the right topic there's plenty of people doing it.

Depending on what you are writing it is quite tough to keep the effort going. I've been trying various things for years, had publishers interest twice and still just couldn't find the story that would make me want to finish it.

I've finally found it now, so hopefully i can get interest going in the right places again.

No self help from me though.

Self destruction, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Eye thee ink a creep tick co-ed May bee sow home Hell up too man knee pea pull he are deep engine awn with her thyme's de facto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I've kept a handwritten diary since I was twelve years old and I'm twenty six now. I spend about twenty minutes a day, with very rare exceptions, on it, and sometimes when I look back at my childish self, I can be reduced to tears or laughter, sometimes both.

At difficult times in my life I've found it useful to go over old diaries from previous difficult times and try to gain perspective from how inconsequential those formerly huge problems are now. It doesn't always work, but I've always been glad I have this link to my younger self.

I have been gifted a plain, leather bound A4 book every New Years Day since I was that 12 year old, by my wonderful mother, who has kept a diary since she was nineteen, the age at which she met my father, and she is now about to turn sixty.

Its been a fulfilling thing to do, and I sometimes feel an odd nostalgia, for the girl I used to be, the little dreams I had, and what I used to consider a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i got my whole crazy moving to australia thing going on as of next week, and given im trying to view the whole thing as a new experience, and something to savour and embrace, im gonna be as offline as possible, and try keep a diary, which could well be interesting in a year or so.

always nice to see how irrelevant troubles are a while later... just keeps reminding you you can get through stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't have a diary excatly, it's an organiser. I just write in things that I need to do and at what time, etc. I found when I left school I missed the 'homework notebook' so I've kept up one, of sorts.

Advertisement