Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex-pros dropping down the leagues

• 07-01-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any major examples of ex-Premier League, ex-Serie A, ex-La Liga, etc. players who've dropped down through the leagues to the point where they play with local park/pub teams again?

I've always been interested in how some players retire at the top (Bergkamp, etc.) and others continue to try and play professional football no matter what (Andy Cole) so just wondering how far down some players might have gone just to continue playing and enjoying themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any major examples of ex-Premier League, ex-Serie A, ex-La Liga, etc. players who've dropped down through the leagues to the point where they play with local park/pub teams again?

I've always been interested in how some players retire at the top (Bergkamp, etc.) and others continue to try and play professional football no matter what (Andy Cole) so just wondering how far down some players might have gone just to continue playing and enjoying themselves?

Lee Sharpe is the 'best' example I can think of, but that wasn't as he got older, just a lot crapper (What happened Lee, what happened?)

I think David May dropped to a very low level eventually.

Sheringham dropped a couple of leagues too, didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Paolo di Canio. He didn't exactly join a pub team but did drop as far as Serie C2 just to play for Cisco Calacio Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Clayton Blackmore (formerly of Man Utd) is now playing for his hometown club of Neath United as far as i know!

He's 43/44 now too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

link below wrote:
    The past several years, Klinsmann has played on a local amateur team, the Orange County Blue Stars, for fun and exercise. Unbeknownst to him, organizers gave him the pseudonym of Jay Goppingen — Göppingen is his place of birth — so initially most opponents had no clue who he really was. Hey, that Goppingen guy is pretty good.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/world/2005-12-07-klinsmann-cover_x.htm

I remember hearing a radio story about this on BBC World Service a few years back. This blonde German dude who looked familiar to some banging in goals all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I remember back in the day When Paul Parker left United, he was playing non-league within 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Tristram wrote: »
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/world/2005-12-07-klinsmann-cover_x.htm

I remember hearing a radio story about this on BBC World Service a few years back. This blonde German dude who looked familiar to some banging in goals all over the shop.

The celebration would be a giveaway, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Tristram wrote: »
    This blonde German dude who looked familiar to some banging in goals all over the shop.
    It's probably pretty much like that Nike ad with Ian Wright, Cantona, etc. playing park football...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nigel Winterburn is currently playing for his local sunday league side afaik

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah I'd a funny feeling I'd heard that somewhere but wasn't sure... really should have just Googled it I guess :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Yeah I'd a funny feeling I'd heard that somewhere but wasn't sure... really should have just Googled it I guess :o

He'll be free for a lot more matches now that's he's been let go from Blackburn anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Chris Waddle went all teh way down the Football Leagues then into non-league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I remember there a few years ago Julian Dicks was playing for Canvey Town or some team in the third round of the FA Cup.

Paul Scholes used to say that he'd finish playing for Oldham if he could as it's his hometown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I played against Alan Devonshire in the east berks league. I think he was playing for a team in Slough and was in his early 40s at the time. After that he went on to Manage Maidenhead United.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Darren Anderton just retired last month, he was playing League 2.

Sherringham was playing for colchester.

Luigi Di Biaggio is playing semi professional in Italy.

Steve Claridge was player-manager of some non league team.

Cafu is playing for Garforth =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I think theres a huge difference between players like Sharpe dropping down the levels dramatically and players retiring from pro football but playing for their local teams for the love of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Former Villa winger and Engalnd international Tony Daley spent the last three years of his carrer playing for Forest Green Rovers. Carlton Palmer and Efan Ekoku had that stint with Roddy Collins at Dublin City. Former Milan and Rangers forward Mark Hately finished up at Ross County. And Tony Yeboah is knocking around some German amateur side afaik.

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Tony Yeboah is knocking around some German amateur side afaik.

Prision team maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lee Hughes turned out for Her Majesty FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Bruce Grobbelaar played a game for Glasshoughton Welfare A.F.C. last year.

Who are Glasshoughton Welfare A.F.C?

Zacktly.

bohsman wrote: »
    I think theres a huge difference between players like Sharpe dropping down the levels dramatically and players retiring from pro football but playing for their local teams for the love of the game.

I don't see how really.

It's not like Sharp had to keep playing for the money, he kept playing because he liked playing.

He works for Man Yoo on match days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Terry Phelan is currently player/coach of Otago United in New Zealand.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I don't see how really.
    Well, you never really know how players' finances are. And some keep playing pro soccer out of ego I'd reckon.

Have to say, I'd agree with bohsman a bit - certainly I was more thinking of Klinsmann-type stories than Sheringham playing with Colchester when I asked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Chris Waddle retired just a couple of years ago at the tender age of 42 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Angelo Di Livio played in Serie C2 in 2002 for Fiorentina while in the same year playing for the National team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Frisbee wrote: »
    Heard that recently too. Maybe soccer am or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Andrew 83 wrote: »
    Chris Waddle went all teh way down the Football Leagues then into non-league.

Played for Worksop Town in the Unibond Division 1 at one point. Saw him a few times, a class above needless to say.

Funniest moment was when he won a penalty for them in a match with about 5 minutes to go, I've never seen him move as fast as he did away from the penalty area and back into his own half :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seaneh wrote: »

It's not like Sharp had to keep playing for the money, he kept playing because he liked playing.

He works for Man Yoo on match days now.

What's he doing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Was just wondering about this when watching the Copa Del Rey highlights.

Where did Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink end up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Here is a strange one from football365 today.

Matt Oakley, Leicester City
    An unlikely selection perhaps but Oakley's descent has been steeper than most.

The midfielder can now be found in the third tier of English football, which - even if some might say is the right arena for his talent - represents a mighty fall from grace for a player who began last season as the captain of a Premier League outfit and scored the first goal of the league season after just five minutes of Derby's reintroduction. Alas, it's been all downhill ever since 15.05pm, August 11, 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

iregk wrote: »
    Here is a strange one from football365 today.

Matt Oakley, Leicester City
    An unlikely selection perhaps but Oakley's descent has been steeper than most.

The midfielder can now be found in the third tier of English football, which - even if some might say is the right arena for his talent - represents a mighty fall from grace for a player who began last season as the captain of a Premier League outfit and scored the first goal of the league season after just five minutes of Derby's reintroduction. Alas, it's been all downhill ever since 15.05pm, August 11, 2007.
    Not that strange as no one would disagree that the Derby squad last year was no where near Premiership level, they would even admit themselves that promotion came too early, Oakley playing in League One isn't that odd imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭JoeA3

dfx- wrote: »

I think he retired after Cardiff released him and I don't think he got another club. Appears occasionally on Sky or ITV as a pundit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

dfx- wrote: »

He is retired since the end of last season. Cardiff would not give him another contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I think former Liverpool player Rob Jones who retired with injury played with a non league team but they got promoted to the league and he couldn't keep playing for them as he received a payout from insurance on his retirement and couldn't play pro football again

(could have been Steve Harkness or someone else, didn't look it up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You guys are all forgetting the biggest and saddest one of them all.

Gazza played for some Chinese team and then Boston United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Nigel Clough was player/manager of Burton Albion in the Unibond leagues, bringing them up now to basically the football league... hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

george best!!
    cork celtic

rivaldo
    The Ubekeztan champions

Mark Bosnich
    A six game stint in the oz leauge this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

colin healy

cork city:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

im pretty sure mark overmars came out of retirement last season to play for some 3rd division dutch team or something like that. it was the team he started his carreer with and they were in trouble so he agreed to go play for em iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

redout wrote: »
    He is retired since the end of last season. Cardiff would not give him another contract.

He was signed on a one year deal and was promised an extra year if he played a certain amount of games.
    He played the required amount apparently but they didn't give him the extra year. Up in the courts now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lineker played in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

mormank wrote: »
    im pretty sure mark overmars came out of retirement last season to play for some 3rd division dutch team or something like that. it was the team he started his carreer with and they were in trouble so he agreed to go play for em iirc

Cant believe this wasnt already mentioned seeing as its boards go ahead eagles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Cant believe this wasnt already mentioned seeing as its boards go ahead eagles!

ya i couldnt believe it wasnt mentioned either..

whats the link with go ahead eagles??

Advertisement