Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Xbox 360 - Game recommendations?

• 07-01-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just got a 360 and I know I'm a bit late to the party so I'm hoping that you guys can give me some good recommendations.

I love games that have a good story line, look good and are third person shooter. Anything with a sci-fi twist is a goer. Loved Max Paine.

Just finished playing GOW (enjoyed it) and will buy GOW2 at some stage soon I would imagine but wouldnt mind a break with something else for a bit.

Any games that have been out for a bit and are good value would also be a plus!

Thanks,
    N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Bioshock, Bioshock and did I say Bioshock?
    Should pick it up for about 20 quid now. Great story, sci-fi, third person, everything you are looking for. Great graphics too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shad0r wrote: »
    I love games that have a good story line, look good and are third person shooter. Anything with a sci-fi twist is a goer.

You are describing Mass Effect right there! Also, pick up Fallout 3, Halo 3 and Bioshock. All must have games. I have stayed up till 2 am playing Fallout so many times, it's becoming rediculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gears of War 1 is a must - I'd vote it the best xbox live game available, not very impressed with Gears or War 2...

see you in the annex:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,821 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bioshock
    COD 4
    Dead Space
    Halo 3

Others -

Tiger Woods 09
    Pro Evo
    Fight Night 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

nicklauski wrote: »
    Bioshock, Bioshock and did I say Bioshock?
    Should pick it up for about 20 quid now. Great story, sci-fi, third person, everything you are looking for. Great graphics too!

Got it for €16 a few weeks back in Game, second hand. Prey comes to mind also and thats always under €10 in most shops! I got it for €6!

You can always just download a few demos from Xbox live and see what you like before you buy. I only just go my xbox at xmas, so I'm sort of in the same boat. Have about 10 games and have bought them all second hand, its just much better value and there is plenty of sales on now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dead Space for sure, looks amazing and while has a generic Sci-Fi plot lays it out well, watch the animated comics they released before the game came out for some of the back story.

But make sure to play the game in the dark with a decent 5.1 surround sound for the true experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Mass Effect was brilliant. Get that on board immediately.

Gears of War 2 is a great one. While you're at it take a look at Dead Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Loved Max Paine.

If that's the case, get Stranglehold! it's Max Payne with bells on! similar gameplay, but way more destruction!

+ you can get it for 12 quid now!

Mass Effect has a great story etc, but the combat is pretty shoddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

RichTea wrote: »
    Mass Effect was brilliant. Get that on board immediately.

+1

The most enjoyable game i have played on the Xbox, a must have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Thanks for the headsup.

Watched some of the trailers on play.com.

Fallout 3 looks good.
    Stranglehold looks good but some of the reviews there said the story wasnt great, which is a big part of what made Max Payne for me.
    Mass effect looks good.
    Bioshock sounds really good but a bit like a game I've played before on the Xbox...dont remember the name...

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

COD4.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Ha neil!! theres a blast from the past! Where you living these days?

Samurai wrote: »
    Ha neil!! theres a blast from the past! Where you living these days?

Hey! Living in Kilmessan in Meath!

Bought Mass Effect on my way home last night in Xtravision, previously owned - €15!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Hey! Living in Kilmessan in Meath!

Bought Mass Effect on my way home last night in Xtravision, previously owned - €15!

Nice price, might have a look for that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Echo what's been said here already. Mass Effect, Bioshock and Deadspace will tick all your Sci Fi boxes and they are all great games. Orange Box is well worth picking up if you've missed out on the Half Life 2 phenomenon. Stranglehold is really good fun as well. Story may not be 100% but the action in it makes up for it and it is a joy to play!

djkeogh wrote: »
    Echo what's been said here already. Mass Effect, Bioshock and Deadspace will tick all your Sci Fi boxes and they are all great games. Orange Box is well worth picking up if you've missed out on the Half Life 2 phenomenon. Stranglehold is really good fun as well. Story may not be 100% but the action in it makes up for it and it is a joy to play!

They had Bioshock there for 15 quid too and I think Stranglehold was 15 or 20 quid. I thought about getting all three but I couldnt afford it so decided to just get one. I liked the idea of space more than underwater...

If I'm going to play a game until my eyes bleed I like it to have a good story! Or else unblelievable gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Gears of War 2 is excellent. Very good story and the online play is great fun :)

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Gears of War 2 is excellent. Very good story and the online play is great fun :)

maybe i'm doing something wrong but in gears of war one I used to go into a lobby there could be a few irish lads there and have a bit of crack, in gears 2 i'm landing up with americans all the time..

A few of us from another forum I post on play regularly, you'd be welcome to join us if we wanted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Call Of Duty World at War is a great game imo!
    Online is great fun as is the Zombie mode.!

• Advertisement

Mgoraf wrote: »
    A few of us from another forum I post on play regularly, you'd be welcome to join us if we wanted. :)

cheers man, going to give gears one a belt again in a few minutes..

where's the forum...

here

The games section is down towards the end of the page. :)

Advertisement