Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best laptop deal ?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Where is the best laptop deal to be had in Carlow ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I havent seen any good deals tbh on laptops in Carlow, i'm bidding on one on ebay at the moment, seems to be the best deal I've seen anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

NCW feen wrote: »

Maybe steve cort's shop, i wouldn't go near click unless you have money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Lads trust me i'm a big computer nerd and carlow is seriously overpriced for laptops. Buy online or head to dublin or closer again waterford. PC world hasn't got bad deals at this moment in time and either has harvey norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

best deals are in electrocity but they are still expensive compared to dublin or pc world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

best deal in carlow? i know a little place around the corner called the interwebs! need a credit card? no probs, get a 3v card!

• Advertisement

aynon wrote: »
    best deal in carlow? i know a little place around the corner called the interwebs! need a credit card? no probs, get a 3v card!

Yes he is dead right, go on the internet. It is so much cheaper. You can save fortunes. There are coupons for dell's laptops in most of the national broadsheets from time to time that if you quote the number you get a percentage off or a deal package.

There are plenty of online sites. Why not get a MAC? go to the apple store online and they are cheap and if you know a student with a valid student number who is registered in a college you get massive discounts.*(May not be ethical but is cost effective).

Don't be going to some shop and paying some pimple-faced fresh out of college chap the extra cost for spouting off a few key word phrases he was told to say about every laptop on his first day of training.

stick-dan wrote: »

Don't be going to some shop and paying some pimple-faced fresh out of college chap the extra cost for spouting off a few key word phrases he was told to say about every laptop on his first day of training.

you not just out of college for a few months ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

and doesnt he work in a computer store?

patrickc wrote: »
    you not just out of college for a few months ??

I'm on placement at the moment and i am not pimple faced either :P. you know what i mean though computer shops will refuse computer students most of the time in interviews cos well they actually know stuff.
    aynon wrote: »
    and doesnt he work in a computer store?

I don't work in a computer store.

stick-dan wrote: »
    I'm on placement at the moment and i am not pimple faced either :P. you know what i mean though computer shops will refuse computer students most of the time in interviews cos well they actually know stuff.

yeh and the problem is then they'd have to pay the staff properly, the staff in click are the most unknowledgable in the country, pc world in liffey valley, i like the staff there, well most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

in reference to the OP, it all depends what you view as a good deal. I reckon my MBP was a good deal even though its 4 times the price of a dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

NCW feen wrote: »

I bought a laptop this week in Swans electrical (Expert Electrical on Tullow st.)
    Acer Aspire 5920G - 6A4G25Mi
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5750
    15.4" Screen
    4 GB Ram
    250 GB HDD
    5 in 1 Card reader
    DVD RW
    10/100/1000 LAN
    ABG WLAN
    Vista Home

Price €499. I know you could find this on line cheaper but its not a bad price for a shop in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I bought a laptop this week in Swans electrical (Expert Electrical on Tullow st.)
    Acer Aspire 5920G - 6A4G25Mi
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5750
    15.4" Screen
    4 GB Ram
    250 GB HDD
    5 in 1 Card reader
    DVD RW
    10/100/1000 LAN
    ABG WLAN
    Vista Home

Price €499. I know you could find this on line cheaper but its not a bad price for a shop in Carlow.
    it may be an acer but that looks like a very good price for the specs listed

I'm happy enough with it and I forgot to mention that it has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 graphics with HDMI port. Which is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Wizard Archer is that the same acer 5920G laptop as on latopsdirect with the blu ray player. My brother was looking for a laptop for college and we looked in click,currys,electrocity,pcworld etc for the best spec for around €500. I thought laptopsdirect would be cheapest with 15% VAT and all that but it looks like you got a really good deal in swans.My brothers cost €517 including delivery and restore disk (€15 for two crappy rw-dvds in a paper envelope). Its also very handy for you to bring back if you have a problem unlike laptopsdirect who are based in UK .

recyclebin wrote: »
    Wizard Archer is that the same acer 5920G laptop as on latopsdirect with the blu ray player. My brother was looking for a laptop for college and we looked in click,currys,electrocity,pcworld etc for the best spec for around €500. I thought laptopsdirect would be cheapest with 15% VAT and all that but it looks like you got a really good deal in swans.My brothers cost €517 including delivery and restore disk (€15 for two crappy rw-dvds in a paper envelope). Its also very handy for you to bring back if you have a problem unlike laptopsdirect who are based in UK .

No my one doesn't have a blu ray player. There's 14 different configurations of the 5920G so be careful which one you get

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

I'm not great with the laptops, but picked up a sony viao in carphone warehouse for €999, €400 cheaper then the sony centre, has blu ray, vista, 320gb and 4gb ram. plenty more on it. Was bout 3 months ago so you might get it cheaper at this stage.

Advertisement