Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best laptop deal ?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Where is the best laptop deal to be had in Limerick ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

just got a advent in currys in the parkway retail park for €472, €50 was virus protection which is optional, looked up there english website and it was £220 which was about €300

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you need a Notebook or will a Netbook do?

It all depends on what you want the system for?

Netbooks are fine for wireless internet and word, excel, powerpoint etc.

I would personally be afraid to buy a notebook or netbook from anybody like PC World, Currys, Dixons or Harvey Norman as you cannot guarantee their future.

Here is a netbook collection from Dell. You can order from Dell and receive it within 7 days if you ring Dell in Raheen, ask for the LOB planner for Notebooks and pretend you work for Dell and ask him to put your traveller tag to the front of the queue. It worked for me. :D My brother used to do this job so gave me the tip.

At least with Dell or buying direct from HP you are guaranteed current technology. Dixons, Currys etc etc sells old stock which is cluttering up warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Come on Berty, could you really trust Dells future? I would go HP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yep. HP or IBM.
    As for PC world and all them, it depends what spec you get. a lot of dell computers fail miserably just as much as the ones from PC world. I got a pakard bell laptop 6 years ago. just installed new RAM. still working perfect. never had a problem with it.
    But the best would be HP direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Come on Berty, could you really trust Dells future? I would go HP!

That is just the Limerick plant, it's not like Dell world wide is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That is just the Limerick plant, it's not like Dell world wide is dead.

Give it 5 years! Unless they totally evolve into a new company, which they probably will, but there is always a chance they will go the way like them companies(cant think of the names(one was in EMF1)) that were in Limerick beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Give it 5 years! Unless they totally evolve into a new company, which they probably will, but there is always a chance they will go the way like them companies(cant think of the names(one was in EMF1)) that were in Limerick beforehand.

Wang employees became Ast employees which became Dell Employees. But, did you know that Wang still exists and is actually in Shannon? Ironically they know fix hardware issues on Dell products in Ireland and around the world.

There is a specific skill set in Limerick around computers and not just the joe bloggs who works in the cells building them. They can be trained easily within minutes. Its the higher level employees. A company may wish to capitalise on this knowledge base in the future.

Also, getting back on topic, I would buy a Dell notebook because my father can fix mine. Im typing away on the Inspiron 1525 right now and very happy with it. I did pay around €980 for it because I wanted the bells and whistles.

Buy Dell and be content that the company will be still be in existence in years to come. HP notebooks are good Im sure but I have no working knowledge of them so cannot say much.

BTW I used to build notebooks for Dell in Castletroy all those years ago. So it depends on what mood your in to how well built they can be. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

whats your budget feen?

The misses just got one for €1400, its out of this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Berty wrote: »
    But, did you know that Wang still exists and is actually in Shannon? Ironically they know fix hardware issues on Dell products in Ireland and around the world. :D

really? I genuinely thought they just didn't bother taking the sign down!

Let's support a company still working in Ireland, buy a Macbook Pro.

Advertisement