Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi gets standing ovation from Atletico Madrid Fans

• 07-01-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Just read there that Messi got a standing ovation from the Atletico Madrid fans last night after another awe-inspiring performance resulting him getting just his second hat-trick of his now short but already legendary career. The last time i remember this happening was Ronaldinho's performance at the Bernabeu couple of years back.

Provided Barca keep him fit nothing is going to stand in the way of Barca winning everything this season as this is the most complete team i have ever seen and the football is a joy to behold and i cant wait to stroll into Ladbrokes at the end of May and collect my bet on Barca winning the Champions League @ 9-2 and Messi being top goalscorer @ 16-1 - oh Barcelona I applaud you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Best player in the world at the moment by a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Warper wrote: »
    i cant wait to stroll into Ladbrokes at the end of May and collect my bet on Barca winning the Champions League @ 9-2 and Messi being top goalscorer @ 16-1 - oh Barcelona I applaud you.

I'm sure the bookies can't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

In the words of Andy Gray "Tick a Boooo son"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

yeah cracking player, cant wait for city to buy him (tongue firmly in cheek):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

my bet on Barca winning the Champions League @ 9-2 and Messi being top goalscorer @ 16-1 - oh Barcelona I applaud you.

I would ahve doubts that Messi will be the top scorer in the league. The other one is looking good for you. I will be looking at the highlights of this afterwork. Messi is just sheer genius at the moment. Touch wood he can stay injury free, and we can enjoy his brilliance for at least another 13-14 years.

Second of his career, I remember his first Vs Real. I doubt i have ever seen a more important one than that one in a Classico.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada08-09/01/n090106103516.html
    Second hat-trick and ovation for Messi

Roger Bogunyà

Leo Messi scored his second hat trick of his career tonight against Atlético Madrid. It was a genuine exhibition that was offered a standing ovation from the Vicente Calderón crowd.

In the first half they were calling out for impossible plays, and when he was substituted, the Atlético Madrid fans hailed Leo Messi’s football and gave him a standing ovation. Three goals were enough to deserve that, the second hat-trick in Leo Messi’s career.

First against Real Madrid

web_03.jpgThe first came two years ago on March 10, 2007, in the Barça v Madrid match at the Camp Nou. He converted three excellent goals that night, the last one in the final minute of the game to seal a valuable draw (3-3).

Bond with Alves

atmadrid_barca009.jpgAt the Vicente Calderón it was very different story. In the first half the Argentinian teamed up with Alves to drive the home defence wild. The duo combined for the first goal following a clever one-two down the right wing. The Argentinian finished off the move with a cold-blooded strike when faced by Coupet in the 12th minute. Messi and Alves were also the reasons why yellow cards were shown to Sinama, Simao and Pernía, all in the first half.

Second half exhibition

atmadrid_barca030.jpgIn the second half the same two players went to work on making it 2-0. Alves crossed to Messi, who was about to strike it home before he was brought down by Heitinga, who sent off for his efforts. Messi took the ball, placed it on the spot and fooled Coupet to claim his second (min 57).

Just ten minutes later, Leo Messi almost scored a dream goal, not unlike his famous one against Getafe, but the final shot struck the bar. However, the move continued and once the Argentinian regained possession he made sure that he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice, and this time left Coupet floundering following a tricky dribble to make it 1-3.

In the 81st minute, Messi was taken off and replaced by Pedro but not before he had received an ovation from the stunned Vicente Calderón. Messi showed what a gentlemen he is, and accepted the applause with a warm gesture of thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No its for him to be top scorer in the CL - he is currently joint top (i think with 5), he was 16-1 before the CL started - currently top price 9-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

i cant wait to stroll into Ladbrokes at the end of May and collect my bet on Barca winning the Champions League @ 9-2 and Messi being top goalscorer @ 16-1 - oh Barcelona I applaud you.
    Hope thats a typo above and you didnt put those two bets in a double.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

This Barca team is hardly more complete than Sacchi's Milan team or even Barcelona's dream team of the 90's. Sure attacking wise it may be remembered if it can achieve over the next 5 years, but lets utter it's name amongst the legendary teams we've seen in the past 50 years.

gimmick wrote: »
    Second of his career, I remember his first Vs Real. I doubt i have ever seen a more important one than that one in a Classico.

Rivaldo's hat-trick against Valencia is the most important hat-trick I've ever seen, it meant Barca got a CL place. Thus generating revenue that allowed Barca buy Ronaldinho, who along with Laporta was the face of a Barca that went from having hundreds of millions of euro of debt, into a profitable financial beast.

Posted this in the Liga thread;
    Messi scored a hat-trick and a standing ovation away to Atletico Madrid in the Copa Del Rey, Barca have won the first leg 3-1. Was a very good game considering we didn't have Valdes, Eto'o, Henry, Xavi, Puyol, Marquez or Abidal. The midfield of Keita, Yaya and Busquets dominated, and filled any gaps when Alves bombed forward, his link up play with Messi was incredible, the first goal and the red card that led to the penalty highlight their telepathic understanding, Alves gets a lovely back heel assist.

19 goals and 9 assists from 21 appearances for Messi so far this season, not a bad return really..

Highlights;

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1940736/

15mcmk4.gif

s6u0du.gif

2ueohzp.giff

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rivaldo's hat-trick against Valencia is the most important hat-trick I've ever seen,

Thats why I said "in a Classico" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Great pass from Alves for the first goal.!

Thats why I said "in a Classico" ;)

My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Barca must spend hours on one-two's , through balls and basically reading and getting used to the runs of their teammates. Forget dribbling by an opponent. A one-two is by far and away the most effective way of beating a player and Barca are the masters of it. Gudjohnson and even Henry are different players now since moving there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

brilliant and all as he is, he severly went down in my estimation when he spat at a player a while back

he is an unbelievable talent, but thats a very scummy thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

event wrote: »
    brilliant and all as he is, he severly went down in my estimation when he spat at a player a while back

he is an unbelievable talent, but thats a very scummy thing to do

When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He's not half bad is he!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i think defensively barcelona arent as good as liverpool, utd or chelski. style wise they are incredible but if you are able to dictate the play against them they have no real ball winners. xavi is the man that makes this team tick and creates the space for them, if you can stop this space, u can stop barcelona

Jazzy wrote: »
    i think defensively barcelona arent as good as liverpool, utd or chelski. style wise they are incredible but if you are able to dictate the play against them they have no real ball winners. xavi is the man that makes this team tick and creates the space for them, if you can stop this space, u can stop barcelona

Guess you haven't watched Barcelona with Busquets, Keita or Yaya Toure then? When you cut down Xavi's space then you're giving Alves, Messi, Iniesta and Eto'o space, if you watched the Villareal game you see how their midfield tries to close Xavi down, and it may be effective at taking Xavi out of the game, but it just means that another player has more space to exploit.

Guess you haven't watched Barcelona with Busquets, Keita or Yaya Toure then?

havent seen much of the first 2 but yaya toure reminds me a lot of momo sissoko. an excited puppy who just plays chase all game. im talking about a mascherano or an essien. they have no classy ball winners

Mascherano is a classy ball winner? :confused:

To talk of Toure and Sissoko in the same breath is folly. Busquets is a very good ball winner, and will improve massively. This is only his first seaosn for the first team and he has impressed big time. I cannot really comment on Keita as I have not seen enough of him.

• Advertisement

havent seen much of the first 2 but yaya toure reminds me a lot of momo sissoko. an excited puppy who just plays chase all game. im talking about a mascherano or an essien. they have no classy ball winners

I dont think that could be further from the truth, Sissoko's DMF game is built about running as much as he can, tackling and offloading the ball to the nearest player. He is geared more towards a defensive orientated team. Mascherano is much closer to Sissoko than Toure is actually, so good defensively, but neutered in attack.

Toure's game is based more around intercepting passes in the midfield and he is much much better on the ball creatively than Sissoko or Mascherano. Toure is a DMF that is made for a team that hold onto possession, as he doesn't need to make as many gritty tackles, he mainly breaks down an attack by intercepting the other teams midfielders passes. He may not be as effective as Mascherano or Sissoko defensively, but he makes up for it with his ability on the ball and his passing range, which is much better than both the above.

Toure is the better DMF for Barca, although I would gladly put Sissoko in our squad, I think since he has joined Juve his on the ball ability has increased dramatically, and I'd rate him as high as Mascherano.

I don't think I've seen many DMF's who just run around the pitch like an 'excited puppy' score goals like this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I don't think I've seen many DMF's who just run around the pitch like an 'excited puppy' score goals like this...

Wat ?

FC Barcelona league goal scoring record

2007-2008 26 1
    2008-2009 13 1
    Total 39 2

Edit - I think you changed the above sentence before i got to quote it. WP sir :)

Opr

Mascherano is a classy ball winner? :confused:

To talk of Toure and Sissoko in the same breath is folly. Busquets is a very good ball winner, and will improve massively. This is only his first seaosn for the first team and he has impressed big time. I cannot really comment on Keita as I have not seen enough of him.

Busquets is much better in the DMF role in comparison to Keita, who is more of an imposing CMF who likes to get forward. Keita isn't a destroyer, but his presence in midfield means he does win the ball off opposition midfielders, but that wouldn't be his main attribute. Keita would be better at linking up with the attack, plus he is excellent in the air and has a nice shot on him.

opr wrote: »
    Wat ?

FC Barcelona league goal scoring record

2007-2008 26 1
    2008-2009 13 1
    Total 39 2

Edit - I think you changed the above sentence before i got to quote it. WP sir :)

Opr

I reread my post, and it seemed like I was saying he scored constantly, what I was trying to say was, 'how many DMF who run around the pitch like excited puppies constantly--- score goals like this.' :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Messi is incredible and will get even better but about Barca,do we not say this about every half decent Barca team?And how many European cups have they?same as Forrest i think:D

Their midfield i think doesnt have the fight in them against a Chelsea,United or Liverpool.Man for man they are more skilled but thats not all that wins games in Europe.

Id fancy them against anyone except those 3 english teams

raven136 wrote: »
    Messi is incredible and will get even better but about Barca,do we not say this about every half decent Barca team?And how many European cups have they?same as Forrest i think:D

Their midfield i think doesnt have the fight in them against a Chelsea,United or Liverpool.Man for man they are more skilled but thats not all that wins games in Europe.

Id fancy them against anyone except those 3 english teams

Pretty funny you talk about Barcelona's European pedigree, and then compare them to United and Chelsea, United only passed Barcelona out European cup wise last season. They are hardly hardened European overlords in comparison to Barca. Chelsea, have never won a CL or European cup.

Liverpool I'll accept your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Pretty funny you talk about Barcelona's European pedigree, and then compare them to United and Chelsea, United only passed Barcelona out European cup wise last season. They are hardly hardened European overlords in comparison to Barca. Chelsea, have never won a CL or European cup.

Liverpool I'll accept your point.

i compared their pedigree to Notts Forrest and i compared thier midfield to United,Chelsea and Liverpool.

good goal alright by yaya. may have got it wrong on him but again im judging from wat ive seen (which isnt the most). i still think barca can be stifled in the CL. from what i watch of la liga, players are able to take a lot more touches on the ball then in the english game. also some of the defences ive seen there are just shocking.
    eto'o is the best striker in the world imo and has been for the past 3/4 years. ronnie and messi used to/still get all the plaudits but eto'o is a phenom. so quick, such a good finisher and such a clever striker. knows how to play to his strengths etc.

i dont think the spanish league has the same power base as the PL atm and i doubt barca would walk the PL the same way the are walking la liga right now. real madrid are a team in transition, valencia have been good this season but still have no depth while sevilla and athletico are full of potential (especially in athletico's case) but are unrealised.
    i dare say that as good as barca are, they are having an easy time of it atm

good goal alright by yaya. may have got it wrong on him but again im judging from wat ive seen (which isnt the most). i still think barca can be stifled in the CL. from what i watch of la liga, players are able to take a lot more touches on the ball then in the english game. also some of the defences ive seen there are just shocking.
    eto'o is the best striker in the world imo and has been for the past 3/4 years. ronnie and messi used to/still get all the plaudits but eto'o is a phenom. so quick, such a good finisher and such a clever striker. knows how to play to his strengths etc.

i dont think the spanish league has the same power base as the PL atm and i doubt barca would walk the PL the same way the are walking la liga right now. real madrid are a team in transition, valencia have been good this season but still have no depth while sevilla and athletico are full of potential (especially in athletico's case) but are unrealised.
    i dare say that as good as barca are, they are having an easy time of it atm

Fair enough if that's how you feel, but I'll respectfully disagree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and then Liverpool will respectfully knock your lot out of the CL when/if they meet

;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and then Liverpool will respectfully knock your lot out of the CL when/if they meet

;)

mascherano to score :pac:

;)

Yaaaaayaaa, Alonso would get a complex thinking about how many players in the Barca midfield are ahead of him in the Spanish national team pecking order, and he'd play sh*t... :pac::pac::pac:

or else, he'd school your midfield, like he has done every other midfield he has come across this year.

or else, he'd school your midfield, like he has done every other midfield he has come across this year.

School? Alonso dreams he had the passing and technical ability of Xavi, and can't even dream about being as good a dribbler as Iniesta... :pac: Alonso can go back to being compared to the likes of Garreth Barry, let the big boys talk about proper midfielders.... ;):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

When did this happen?

early november

http://dailymotion.alice.it/video/k2u89LNEsNfKnMPn8P

theres a video of it, if you google "messi spit" you'll get loads of results on it

School? Alonso dreams he had the passing and technical ability of Xavi, and can't even dream about being as good a dribbler as Iniesta... :pac: Alonso can go back to being compared to the likes of Garreth Barry, let the big boys talk about proper midfielders.... ;):P

reported.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

i think Barca will go along way this year, but I think one of the premiership 4 will eventually stop them. what has changed so much in the last few years. No doubt Messi will get an injury again and will miss some important games and as a result will get knocked out of the CL.
    In regards to Le Liga, they should walk the rest of the season, but the standard is along way off that of the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Macca07 wrote: »
    i think Barca will go along way this year, but I think one of the premiership 4 will eventually stop them. what has changed so much in the last few years. No doubt Messi will get an injury again and will miss some important games and as a result will get knocked out of the CL.
    In regards to Le Liga, they should walk the rest of the season, but the standard is along way off that of the Premiership

I reckon the Premiership is the most competitive and hardest league to win. Arsenal raised the bar with the unbeaten season and Chelsea by only dropping the 19 points out of 114. In the premiership teams really need to know how to dig in and hold on at times more so than la liga and Serie A, a trait of the top 4 english sides when playing in europe. I reckon La liga is the most technical league and requires players of very high technical ability to win it unlike the premiership. Serie A is the most intelligent league and requires players with top footballing brains. I reckon Messi would tear English teams to shreds like we have never before seen if he played in the premiership but not so much Italian teams as they read the game so much better. All in all its hard to argue which league is undisputably better as all three require something different to win.

Advertisement