Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had to share

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Had to get up unusually early this morning. Usually everyone gets up around the same time so we'd usually have breakfast together. However, this morning, everyone should still have been fast asleep... but they weren't. I could see the light on in my DD's room - she's 5. I popped my head in to kiss her goodbye and there she was, sitting on her bed reading a fairly complex book that we've only read to her once!!! I knew her reading was developing really well, but I never saw her reading something by herself just for the enjoyment of it.

I'm just so happy for her. My DD likes to read! It's one of those things that you try to encourage but don't really have any control over. She enjoys reading and it makes me so happy... so I just had to share... that's all :-) I'm so proud of her!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thats a good result right there.

I've been reading/showing books from about 4 or 5 months of age to my daughter. She's 19 months now and loves to sit on the bed as we go thru' a big box of books, so i'd hope to be in a similar situation as you in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

awww very cute Dillon. The reading development at that age is phenomenal. Cue not leaving any reading material with questionable content lying around ;)

lest anyone thinks I have strange books in my house :oI mean things like magazines etc. The Woman's Own problem page was my main source of sex education at age 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

littlebug wrote: »
    awww very cute Dillon. The reading development at that age is phenomenal. Cue not leaving any reading material with questionable content lying around ;)

Yikes... I completely didn't think of that.... not that we have anything with questionable content lying around our house... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

lol i just edited my post to clarify what I meant and now I've got my nosy little madam looking over my shoulder to see what I'm smiling at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

congrats, she sounds too cute and very clever.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sc9736

awww cute, i'm hoping my ds will be like that in a few years, he loves his bed time story books, think its important that they read and develop their own imagination ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

sc9736 wrote: »
    awww cute, i'm hoping my ds will be like that in a few years, he loves his bed time story books, think its important that they read and develop their own imagination ;)

Keep reading to him!!

I read to mine and pointed at the words as i read. Then every now and then i would skip a word and make him read it, he loved it.

His favourite thing was to get me to read backwards, i'd be tongue tied :P

He is 8 now and an amazing reader. Although sadly hes a little behind in other things :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My boys are aged 13 and 11 and have always loved books. The only downside is trying to get them to go to sleep as they'll often be reading very late at night.

Advertisement