Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New DanceMusicIreland forum

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

pallepille wrote: »
    sorry to jump in here at such a late stage but that dancemusicireland.com is that not the one thats owned by them two nice wee dj's. Wat the fcuk happened, never really used that (n ive got limited internet here wen im in work) but I thought it was one of the good ones. Sounds like lots o people aint happy

They decided they wanted to make money out of the website, so banned most of the oldest users because of the odd bit of abuse they used to dish out. Then deleted posts, users and banned anyone who slated certain promoters (because said promoters advertised on the website).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This topic is almost more suited to the Web Development Forum lol

OP is perfectly entitled to use that domain, seems an obvious one to me for the purpose intended. Yes you could have been more creative but who cares, its just a domain name.

I've never really been on DMI - I actually tried to register a few times back when i was made aware of the boards.ie slagging, wanted to see what was going on, but my registration never got approved :pac:

However from what I've been told its not the most fair place in the world and way too much muppetry to wade through to get to the good stuff - so I hear anyway.

Can you tell us more about what has been happening of late, I'm intrigued...

OP I think its a good idea, if you can take a small bunch of the regular posters who disagree with Nazi mods or whatever it may be, you can just have your own forum and not need to worry about the previous bull****. That is what the interweb is all about imo.

Might register myself but I just don't have time to read any more dam forums!
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you explain how he's "perfectly entitled to use that domain", seeing as under Irish law, he's isn't for anything in the same sector as the existing site? He's perfectly entitled to use it for something completely different.

The internet's not some magical place where laws don't apply.

Apply the same logic to offline. There is a nightclub called Tripod. You dislike its bouncers. So you buy a pub a rename it to Tripod.net. Think this is entirely acceptable? No.

Of course, you'd be perfectly within your rights to own a camera shop called Tripod, or anything else that isn't related to a bar/nightclub really. Just as long as you avoid using the logotyping or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ceannaire85

Zascar wrote: »
    This topic is almost more suited to the Web

Can you tell us more about what has been happening of late, I'm intrigued...

Okay since you asked, here's what's been happening.
    • DMI until recently ran on the ethos of 'anything goes' and this is what contributed to its popularity, it was Ireland's leading electronic music forum.
    • Over the past year or so the moderators have been heading more towards the advertising direction, planting big banners at the top of the page etc....
    • In the past few months there have been a few comments removed for slagging off promoters... something which most posters on the site were annoyed about and sad to see.
    • Two days ago, three members more prone to slagging these promoters off were banned out of the blue.
    • This was followed with about 12 more bannings, and a few statements , like 'good ridens (sic)' from the moderators. They also made it clear that they were planning a more advertising-based site where the usual banter would not be acceptable. They were basically shown to be kicking the very people who had made the site what it was. Probably the worst thing they did was delete the post of one of the more respected members who had stated that he had donated money previously to the moderators for running the site.
    • So one of the members decided to start up a new board, using the original ethos of the .com site. And so far, it is going well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MYOB wrote: »
    Can you explain how he's "perfectly entitled to use that domain", seeing as under Irish law, he's isn't for anything in the same sector as the existing site? He's perfectly entitled to use it for something completely different.

It doesn't quite work like that. In most cases, with .com and .net domains, it's generally first come first served. Ok it is different if it involves a big multinational company, but lets face it, DMI are not that.

With .ie domains, yes, it is regulated and an effort is made to make sure the perople who deserve the domain get it, but just cause you have a .com domain name, it does not automatically give you the right to the .net or all others. A .net domain name costs less than €10 - its DMI's fault for not registering that too. I don't know where he is hosted, but "Irish Law" does not govern the Internet - apart from .ie domains

When setting up a domain, the keywords in the domain are very important for search engine optimisation, so if I am a random punter looking for a website on dance music in ireland, "Dance Music Ireland" is the most obvious search choice. DMI.com is currently first on the listings, OP should be able to get his in the first 5 easy enough. Helping his cause to offer an alternative site to visitors that is not so heavily moderated and full of advertising.

Domains etc can be pretty tricky. If DMI.com want to get nasty and try to shut it down, I doubt they'd get very far...

You're going on about domain registration. That is irrelevant - as I've said countless times on this thread.

Its trademark law, pure and simple. If you read the thread you'll notice I say this over, and over, and over again.

Lets see what happens, but I doubt they have anything to worry about

Lets see what happens, but I doubt they have anything to worry about

They don't now, seeing as the site has now acquired a different name and domain.....

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

OP I think its a good idea, if you can take a small bunch of the regular posters who disagree with Nazi mods or whatever it may be, you can just have your own forum and not need to worry about the previous bull****. That is what the interweb is all about imo.

Might register myself but I just don't have time to read any more dam forums!
    Good luck.

Btw, i'm not a regular poster and yes in my opinion the vast majority of posts on that forum were bull****, but freedom of speech means freedom of speech you don't agree with too, and if the mods there wanted to clean the place up without prejudice they would have deleted all accounts and put new rules in place, or at least made a statement before dishing out bannings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

im on both.im fairness the new one is pretty good.people are answering question,especially production related.the person running it is actually listening to ssuggestions and putting requests into the site.which is great.
    i think its good that they have an anything goes policy.its a dance music forum but you can throw up OT subjects and the banter seems good.plus theres no "you cant post this or that"
    this place is grand but its very one dimensional(dance music all the time)
    be nice to discuss other things with members from here without being told to go to another section of boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

seannash wrote: »
    im on both.im fairness the new one is pretty good.people are answering question,especially production related.the person running it is actually listening to ssuggestions and putting requests into the site.which is great.
    i think its good that they have an anything goes policy.its a dance music forum but you can throw up OT subjects and the banter seems good.plus theres no "you cant post this or that"
    this place is grand but its very one dimensional(dance music all the time)
    be nice to discuss other things with members from here without being told to go to another section of boards.

Definitely, I rarely look anywhere else on boards other than here or experimental music, and that tends to be very quiet.

Although didn't Zascar start a sort of generic, talk about anything type thread a while back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

There is the Off topic thread (
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422303)
    which I started a while back to discuss anything ya please pretty much. As boards.ie has a whole tonne of forums, it doesnt really make sense to have seperate threads on the Dance forum regarding soccer/films etc. But feel free to use that thread for everything and anything.

On the poker forum we have an off topic thread and its full of sorts of nonsense (and soem useful stuff) so I know this sort of thread can work on here

I will agree that boards has more rules etc than your normal forum. A few things though I feel should be pointed out

- The rules etc come with the amount of use the site as whole gets, the site owners have to be concerned with both potential legal issues and publicity

- We *try* to run the Dance forum as loosely as possible. In general the most amount of modding myself or Zascar have to do, is delete spam and move threads to the clubbing forum and keep the forum tidy by merging similar threads.

- there's plenty of other more completely relaxed forums to do and say what you please, I dont see any harm in having one a bit more straight laced so to speak.

KevIRL wrote: »
    There is the Off topic thread (
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422303)
    which I started a while back to discuss anything ya please pretty much. As boards.ie has a whole tonne of forums, it doesnt really make sense to have seperate threads on the Dance forum regarding soccer/films etc. But feel free to use that thread for everything and anything.

On the poker forum we have an off topic thread and its full of sorts of nonsense (and soem useful stuff) so I know this sort of thread can work on here

I will agree that boards has more rules etc than your normal forum. A few things though I feel should be pointed out

- The rules etc come with the amount of use the site as whole gets, the site owners have to be concerned with both potential legal issues and publicity

- We *try* to run the Dance forum as loosely as possible. In general the most amount of modding myself or Zascar have to do, is delete spam and move threads to the clubbing forum and keep the forum tidy by merging similar threads.

- there's plenty of other more completely relaxed forums to do and say what you please, I dont see any harm in having one a bit more straight laced so to speak.
    not giving out about it its just that theres some similarly minded people on here and it would be nice to discuss other matters outside of dance music.i totally understand why an ot wouldnt really work but theres only so many asylum post that i can tolerate(joke)i havent found a dedicated dancemusic production forum for irish producers.yes there a production forum on boards but its mainly for rock or whatever,not really dance music related.

seannash wrote: »
    not giving out about it its just that theres some similarly minded people on here and it would be nice to discuss other matters outside of dance music.i totally understand why an ot wouldnt really work but theres only so many asylum post that i can tolerate(joke)i havent found a dedicated dancemusic production forum for irish producers.yes there a production forum on boards but its mainly for rock or whatever,not really dance music related.

I hear ya Sean, but perhaps I wasnt clear in my message. There is an Off Topic thread, I've just bumped it so its on the main page, I can even make it a sticky if people want?

Just fire away with post any amount of stuff in there. Threads like that only take off if people post in them though, so it might take some time.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I hear ya Sean, but perhaps I wasnt clear in my message. There is an Off Topic thread, I've just bumped it so its on the main page, I can even make it a sticky if people want?

Just fire away with post any amount of stuff in there. Threads like that only take off if people post in them though, so it might take some time.

Do the rules go out the door there and we can slag off and abuse anyone in there? :pac:

• Advertisement

thats cool,guess its the best solution you can offer.but if it does get busy itll just be people replying to people a few posts back and everyone will get confused.but i do understand its all that we can get really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

All this arguing over a new forum jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jaysus i've been trying to figure out what happened over there at dmi.com and am still a bit confused.
    needless to say there are a lot of people annoyed over x, y and z. i'm not on any other forums nowadays as I don't have the time, so if anyone can give me a brief synopsis of the whole debacle it would be greatly appreciated.

one worrying thing is that there's a lot of bad blood out there and from what I can see, there is a lot of cliqueness and bitchiness going on.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Do the rules go out the door there and we can slag off and abuse anyone in there? :pac:

within reason and as long as its good natured banter then I see no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

MYOB wrote: »
    First major difference is that is your own name (I presume!). Trademark law mostly goes out the window when it comes to personal names.

Not necessarily with passing off. O'niell v. O'Niell. Guy was selling sports footwear dryers under his own name, but because of the well know O'Niell sportswear brand it was ruled as passing off.

as it stands the domains been changed anyway, the site is flyin and theres a lot more banter on the new one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

What's the story with this forum now?

You need to register to read it but when you register no activation email is sent out.

.com or .net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What's the story with this forum now?

You need to register to read it but when you register no activation email is sent out.

everyone else managed

what name did you register with, and did you put in the right email address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I never had to activate through the email sent out. Your account should be good to go after clicking the register button

John_Mc wrote: »
    I never had to activate through the email sent out. Your account should be good to go after clicking the register button

I tried logging in with the username and password.
    Didn't work so i clicked the resend activation email but never got it.

I'm using a hotmail account if that might have anything to do with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

check your bulk mail

also

if you tell me the user name i can sort it out for you

Thanks

The site's been changed to

http://www.emireland.com

will be linked from

http://www.electronicireland.com

and DJs will be given yourname.emireland.com sub-domains.

good idea!

What can the members put on their sub domain?

A 200Mb ftp account to upload live sets, your tunes, videos, pictures etc.
    E.g. http://skkatter.emireland.com/

Just ask here to set one up

http://www.emireland.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=571

• Advertisement
Advertisement