Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone here work in Volkswagen?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

As the title explains.
    Just want to get some information on something!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ask the question, alot of people have alot of knowledge around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used to work there - what's the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

crosstownk wrote: »

What does volkswagen mean? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ruffledpuff

I think it means people's car and it's from Germany from when Hitler made it so that it was possible for every family to have a car and so because everyone had it, that's what it was called.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is a Passat with a red D and a red I faster than a Golf with just a red I. Also what does a blue I on a Transporter mean?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is a Passat with a red D and a red I faster than a Golf with just a red I. Also what does a blue I on a Transporter mean?

It all depends on what markers and crayons were available on any given day in the children's design department.

http://www.autostadt.de/portal/site/www/

I think it means people's car and it's from Germany from when Hitler made it so that it was possible for every family to have a car and so because everyone had it, that's what it was called.:p

Yep - KdF - Car through joy. A scheme whereby the general public could save for a car. But Adolf used the money for the war effort and very few seen their split screen Beetle.

The first country to assemble Beetles outside of Germany was Ireland. They were first assembled on the site of Ballsbridge Motors on Shelbourne Road and later on the Naas Road at the MDL site. Back then, cars could not be sold in Ireland unless they were assembled in Ireland. Plenty of CKD kits were imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

From Astraboy
    astraboy wrote: »
    Basically the TDI, TDI and TDI are in different states of tune. I think the regular TDI is around 100 BHP, the TDI is around 110 and the TDI is more again. I'm open to correction on the power figures.

As for the 1.6L passat, it will be fairly slow compared to the TDI as it will have less torque and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Thanks for clearing that up for me; no-one who speaks German could be an evil man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Back then, cars could not be sold in Ireland unless they were assembled in Ireland. Plenty of CKD kits were imported.

It was a case of avoiding import duty.

You could import and sell any car in Ireland but it was a hell of a lot cheaper to take them in as kits and build them here. Better for the economy and jobs etc etc. Back in those days every country was shafting each other with import duties for their own means. Sure they are still at it these days but we are now doing it as the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Yep - KdF - Car through joy.

Was KdF not Strength Through Joy?

Peasant will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »

If i'm right, the Blue means it's a 2.5Tdi over a 1.9tdi... Something like that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Was KdF not Strength Through Joy?

Peasant will know.

Correct. KdF "Kraft durch Freude" was the Nazi party workers association ...sort of. If you were a good little worker and a good little party member and a KdF member you could go to KdF resorts at the sea for your holidays, on a KdF cruise ship or join the savings scheme for the KdF car ...which was called the "Volkswagen"

Omny that the Volkswagen was never produced under hitlers tenure. The saving scheme money was used to build the Wolfsburg (wolf castle) factory and churned out Kuebelwagen instead.

It was the British occupying forces thet built the first civil Volkswagens for sale to the public after the war

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

peasant wrote: »
    Correct. KdF "Kraft durch Freude" was the Nazi party workers association ...sort of. If you were a good little worker and a good little party member and a KdF member you could go to KdF resorts at the sea for your holidays, on a KdF cruise ship or join the savings scheme for the KdF car ...which was called the "Volkswagen"

Omny that the Volkswagen was never produced under hitlers tenure. The saving scheme money was used to build the Wolfsburg (wolf castle) factory and churned out Kuebelwagen instead.

It was the British occupying forces thet built the first civil Volkswagens for sale to the public after the war

I'll tell you what. That Hitler may have done some bad things but he did alot of good too!

Advertisement