Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of garage

• 07-01-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Cost of a garage- ballpark
    10 x 7 metres external
    concrete floor insulated as in a house
    walls insulated with insulated plasrterboard inside
    plumbed for toilet, shower and small kitchen
    10 double plugs and lights on ground floor and attic space
    attic space must be reasonable at least 350 sq feet + ceiling well insulated
    attic space with 3 velux and one side window at apex of attic
    12 feet wooden doors and one normal entry door

any idea of the costs assuming groundwork all done
    many thanks
    walter

wicklow - blessington area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved that to its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

That would be good to know, something I plan on doing, having a small garage with an extra spare room upstairs.

On a side note, whats the legal size you can make your garage without requiring planning. I heard it was 20ftx20ft, but not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DanGlee wrote: »
    On a side note, whats the legal size you can make your garage without requiring planning. I heard it was 20ftx20ft, but not sure...
    See Q.7 in this doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

your garage is 630 square feet - allow approx €40-45 per square foot. You could get someone to do it in Timber Frame. You didn't mention the roof - assumed concrete tiles to match your house.
    Kingspan insulation for your floor
    300mm insulation in the ceiling
    If you are doing block - blow in insualtion as opposed to aerobord
    plasterboard inside - I wouuldn't do that unless you have a specific need.
    Are you planning to live in it - or convert at a later time to a small flat for a family member - seems like it. The issue would be planning. Again I assume you have planning permission for this size.

If the weather was right I'd expect it to be completed with 4-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 walter johnston

Many thanks for the information
    I was wondering where would i get information on a timber frame suppliers , even better if some in wicklow
    thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Remember that most grants of planning permission stipulate that a garage can not be used for human habitation. Even if this isnt mentioned it would still need planning permission to add in a granny flat. The max size of a detached garage is 25 SqM and it can only be built to the rear of the dwelling.

Its open to debate if this means that it cannot be visable from the front elevation or just that it cannot be forward of the building line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 walter johnston

Thanks for that
    I was hoping to build much bigger than 25sq mtrs , I presume that planners will let you build a larger building ie a garage and store room etc. It is in the country although there is a neighbouring house. the plan would be to build it into the back of the hill( house built on a gradient so 15 feet hill at the back)
    the garage would start somewhere at the back of the house .

Also considering adding to the end of the house but unsure

thanks
    walter

Advertisement