Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been to Myrtle beach on J1

• 05-01-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am going on the J1 and traveling to atlanta, i have looked up the internet on how to travel to myrtle beach and i cant find any info!!

how much it would cost and how long it would take.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Penguinssmell

try looking up www.greyhound.com and see if they have any routes that go your way. I'm sure they'll have something for u. Are there many of you going to mrytle beach? i hear its a popular spot

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daithinicholas

There is only 3 of us def going so far but there could be more! cheers for the website. you doing the j1 too? or are you american??

No worries....nope i'm irish, did a j1 to cali a couple summers back and loved it. I'm thinkin about either north carolina or somewhere like texas this time, i wanna try somewhere different to where all the irish go. I hear myrtle beach is class tho.

how did you go about geting the job the last time? it my 1st time doing it......we havent a clue really

look up craigslist myrtle beach (just type it into google), they're the best really. I didnt have a job organised before i left i just filled out a lot of applications when i got there. The main thing is dont go mad with ur money in the first week and just take one day to go and fill out appliactions everywhere. And get yourself an american phone. I'd say you'll find a job ok in myrtle beach cause its a big tourist town.

• Advertisement

Nice one, they are good web sites, fair play to you! Best of luck anyway and thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

how did you want to do it? It's about 400 miles, so you could get a flight or train, or bus or car - what are your constraints -ie. cheapest, fastest, etc. I'd say man probably just get the train, shouldn't cost more than $120 or so (MAX) and I'm guessing there's a train station either in or very close to hartsfield jackson.

BTW - are you flying into atlanta? cause I'd suggest a couple of days there, it's a brilliant city.

thinking of going to myrtle beach on the J1, anyone being there before?? What your opinions??

it not def yet but the flight only 600e so thats goo. still thinking of going to miami or new jersey too.....but myrtle beach seems to be the best. If we do pick there, we are going to be flying to atlanta as myrlte beach is way dearer!

Did you spend J1 in Atlanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no - but I've been working there a lot over the last few years. EAsy to get around, very very friendly people, great eating! good craic. I've been working in NJ as well, would pick Atlanta over NJ :) But it's horses for courses..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dazf

Is your J1 company not sorting out your flights.... If you fly I think its about 60 mins.Was there in 07 found it easy to get a job with good enough pay also stayed in jojans its on chester street really good place with big enough rooms also a minutes walk from the beach

nice one, so you would recommend it!!? how did you sort your accom and job? before you went over or when you got there??

When u were in mrytle beach had u heard of or met any other j1ers doin it somewhere else in south carolina or even north? I'm considering going to north carolina for the summer to stay away from the rest of the crowd!

we just got lucky to be honest...chanced our arm in jo jans the only bad thing was that the rent was a good bit more expensive think it was $100 a week but worth it she cooked our dinner a couple of times and let us have a couple of bbqs out the back. We worked in a resort called springmaid really nice place got free food too but i doubt they hire any irish any more we caused them a few problems....

I was only in north carolina once and that was in wilmington never heard of any resorts up there

hey dazf, what did the ppl think of u in wilmington? thats where i was thinking about going. Is it any good there? Or where there other irish groups? My other option is texas so if wilmington sounds no good i'll go there!

Has anyone benn to barefoot landing? i after getting offered a job there and i want to know what it like??!

I was just up there getting tattoos done, to be honest i think its just like another city cant remember seeing any other irish up there. A guy in my class was there over christmas he said it was ok only a couple of places to drink etc. If your looking for place with not too many irish then go to Gatlinberg..Its up in the smoky mountains and was the highlight of my summer, theres a couple of whitewater rafting companies around the place so if ye get there early you might get a handy job with them...

Just out of curiosity azf, what made it the highlight of ur summer? Did they love u being irish or something? Or was it the sceneary and white ater rafting? I've done some rafting before in Canada so would probly consider something like that. What did they think of u bein irish and ur accent and all in mrytle beach/wilmington?

Just out of curiosity azf, what made it the highlight of ur summer? Did they love u being irish or something? Or was it the sceneary and white ater rafting? I've done some rafting before in Canada so would probly consider something like that. What did they think of u bein irish and ur accent and all in mrytle beach/wilmington?

Well it was a mixture, first driving through the smokies getting there was amazing. The place has such character and its full of tourists from different parts of the states cant remember meeting any irish up there at all plus the people wer lovely. We stayed 5 mins drive outside town in a log cabin which had amazing sceneary and we also got to see a couple of black bears passing by as there are a high percentage of black bears in the gatlinburg area.
    We became great friends with lots of locals because we wer irish, you know wat theyre like having a great great grandad from ireland means that theyre half irish. But honestly they wer great and made our holiday even better

dazf i have to say gatlinburg sounds class...just a couple things. How was the nightlife up there and do u think it wud be good for a whole summer?

Also about Wilmington, i've heard so many good things about the place and that the ppl there are unbelievably nice. Can u tell me if this is true or what is the place like? Again are their irish and do the americans automatically love u cause u are irish like other places!

Thanks for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Has anyone benn to barefoot landing? i after getting offered a job there and i want to know what it like??!

I was in MB years ago. Barefoot Landing is a few miles along the coast I believe from the main beach area. Not as busy I'd imagine.

We had a great time in MB but it has to be said it is a dump of a place! I'd go as far as to not recommend it.

If you want the beach I'd be inclined to try Ocean City in Maryland.

Having said that if there is a gang of ye, ye will have a great time no matter where ye go!

kcb, did u travel around when in MB at all? I was considering doing my j1 in Wilmington which is just up the coast from MB but i want to go alone and dont wanna go over and find a load of other irish students there! What did u think of the ppl in carolina, and what did they think of u and ur accents? Especially the ladies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

kcb, did u travel around when in MB at all? I was considering doing my j1 in Wilmington which is just up the coast from MB but i want to go alone and dont wanna go over and find a load of other irish students there! What did u think of the ppl in carolina, and what did they think of u and ur accents? Especially the ladies?

Myrtle Beach is all blow-ins. Don't know about Wilmington. I'd guess you won't find many Irish there. And as it is a big city you can always avoid them!

The southern states are completely different to places like NY and Boston and Philly. There is a huge amount of poverty and some places are caught in a time warp.

But again, I would not want to put you off going there! Life is full of these experiences!

Advertisement