Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 32" LCD TV should I purchase . . .

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the market for a 32" LCD TV, price range €400 - €500 black surround, swivel stand. I have been looking at several Samsung & LG models in CURRY's, PC World & Power City, but at this stage I am getting confused (so many subtle variations)!

Any suggestions re Contrast Rato, Picture resolution, which Make is better? etc, etc, I will only be using the TV in conjunction with the basic NTL package (17 analogue channels) + my basic DVD recorder.

Do I really need a contrast ratio of 50,000 - 1 or will 15,000 -1 suffice on a 32" screen?

Is one retailer any better than another? is LG better than Samsung? or vice versa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You'll get a better answer in the Home Entertainment forum

Also, check out avforums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ta very much, have done as you suggested ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you're in the shops, try and see if they have several similar TVs along side each other, then you can compare the different contrast ratios more easily.

Last weekend, I was helping my brother in law out, and DID had two Samsungs along side each other. One was 33,000:1 and the other was 2M:1. Couldn't see a whole lot between these two. A second pair, with a 10,000:1 and 50,000:1 beside each other though, and you could see the difference. These were all 40inch.

In short, I'd go for 30,000 or higher, try make sure it's 1024P (not 1024i), which should also be 1920x1080 resolution. 1024i is also 1920x1080, so be careful you get the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Power City had a new model Sony Bravia 32" for €480 or so at Christmas.

Cheaper for everything in NI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kerplunk86

jor el wrote: »
    ...try make sure it's 1024P (not 1024i), which should also be 1920x1080 resolution. 1024i is also 1920x1080, so be careful you get the right one.

Could you please explain that some more? Never heard this mentioned before? I understand the different resolutions and what "i" &"p" mean... but 1024i = 1920x1080??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Camelot wrote: »
    Do I really need a contrast ratio of 50,000 - 1 or will 15,000 -1 suffice on a 32" screen?
    Only be careful to look at REAL contrast ratio and not the dynamical (dynamical contrast is like including digital zoom on a camera vs. real zoom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kerplunk86 wrote: »
    Could you please explain that some more? Never heard this mentioned before? I understand the different resolutions and what "i" &"p" mean... but 1024i = 1920x1080??

Typo, obviously, should have said 1080p or 1080i. 1024i/p doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thanks very much too all of the above advice ..........

Tomorrow is the day, so I shall take on board all of the above, not that it matters too much considering my signal source (NTL Basic Package) analogue signal > plus basic DVD recorder.

Advertisement