Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating not that hot (OIL)

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:19pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So myself and the gf moved into a house in June, we got oil and I bled the radiators and boiler but I've never found the radiators that hot when compared to that in my sisters or parents house.

Is there something I'm missing, I've bled them since again as we ran out of oil and they seemed to have improved abit but still not that hot.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Are the radiator valves open fully? If you find some rooms warmer than others maybe the system needs balancing.
    Has the boiler been serviced recently?
    Is the thermostat on the boiler turned down too low?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

House is only built in June so one would hope that it doesn't need to be serviced yet, valves are fully open.

I'll check thermostat and how is balancing done?#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Cabaal wrote: »
    House is only built in June so one would hope that it doesn't need to be serviced yet, valves are fully open.

I'll check thermostat and how is balancing done?#

Each radiator will have a return valve on one end -- that's the one without the screw cap. Pull the cap off and use the cap from the other end to close the valve, then open it 1/4 turn. In the hot press, look for the two pipes that enter the copper cylinder in the side, usually about a third of the way up from the bottom and a third of the way down from the top (some systems have those pipes on top). On the bottom pipe there should be a valve. Close it in to 1/4 turn open.

Now comes the long job. With the heating on, open or close the radiator return valves a quarter of a turn at a time until you get the heat output from each that you want. Then, in the hot press, open the bottom valve (balancing valve) until you maintain hot water supplies. Finally, if the overall heating is not quite sufficient, check the pump. If it's on (say) setting #1, increase it to #2 or #3.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Appeared to be the thermostat on the boiler, it goes from 1-5 and it was on 4 I put it upto 5 and things seem warmer now

Advertisement