Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True HD Amp and speaker packages (noob alert!)

• 07-01-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

In the very early stages of buying a True HD amp, probably one that doesn't come with speakers.

So, the question is really about buying speakers to go with the Amp:

Are there any decent speaker packages available for around 300 euro?

Preferably a 7.1 speaker package, but if such a thing isn't available, i guess i could buy a 5.1 speaker package and pick up another two?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you get a 5.1 receiver, and speakers, you can't go any further, as the receiver won't have any more connections. If you plan on going 7.1, get the 7.1 receiver, imo.

Got a Yamaha RX-V359 myself. Excellent 5.1 receiver, but as you can decipher from the attached picture, it's 5.1, and can fit that many speakers to it.

=-=

If you bought Peats 5.1 package at €369 you'd get the RX-V363 receiver, which, if you goto the Yamha site, and move the mouse over the picture, you'll see it only has 5 speaker outputs.

=-=

To sum it up, if you want to go 7.1, go 7.1 from the beginning, imo.

=-=

Got the speakers and amp from richersounds.ie at a fairly decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Clarification: I was intending to buy a 7.1 Amp anyway.

What i'm really interested in is speaker packages.

Are there any speaker packages out there for a 7.1 amp?

Or should i just buy a speaker package for a 5.1 amp then buy another two speakers?

Trying to keep it around 300 if such a thing is possible.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AVR1508is 7.1 and is €219 Don't know if it's what you want, but it does have 2 HDMI connections. It is a budget system.

NSP110 is a 5.1 speaker package, and is €114. Decent set, have them myself connected to my RX-V359. You'll need two extra speakers, and wires the same length as the ones in the NSP110 package, me thinks, to ensure it sounds ok.

Altogether, €333, excluding shipping. Shipping I'd say would be around €23.

I'd leave the thread here a day or two, as some of the lads will know more than me regarding packages, and also the places to get them. Mainly as the only 7.1 package that I found was
    the Samsung HT-BD2 Home Cinema Blu-Ray
    Komplett @ €979
    Dabs @ €837
    ...which are above your €300 budget.

Try popping over to the richersounds forum in boards.ie and ask will they be getting any cheap 7.1 packages in, or will they? When getting the Yamaha stuff over a year ago, I found them knowledgeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

I am in the same boat,

have
    sony 350 bluray connected to philips HTS 5.1
    1160 acer projector.

but I want a full 7.1 sys. to go with new darkchip4 1080p proj. that I will get next year

I was looking at the 2 mentioned above but the prices are way too high.

I am Sticking to 5.1 for now and will upgrade next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

xanthor wrote: »
    In the very early stages of buying a True HD amp, probably one that doesn't come with speakers.

So, the question is really about buying speakers to go with the Amp:

Preferably a 7.1 speaker package, but if such a thing isn't available, i guess i could buy a 5.1 speaker package and pick up another two?

Unfortunately cheep + TrueHD/DTS Ma don't usually go together. It would be an easier thing if you got a THD/DTSMa amplifier and a cheap set of speakers with a view to upgrade the speakers when your pocket allows. >Sol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

xanthor wrote: »
    In the very early stages of buying a True HD amp, probably one that doesn't come with speakers.......
    I'm afraid if your speaker budget is €300 then you're better off not going for a HD amp. The uncompressed nature of the sound signal will push speakers fairly hard and frankly a 5.1 package for €300 is going to sound appalling. For HD amps to really sing they need to be paired with proper size well made speakers. Cheap floorstanders cannot handle the dynamics properly, never mind the frequency range and detail.
    IMO there's no point in buying a HD amp if you haven't got speakers which can handle it.

Advertisement