Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers Cheques - asia???help pppplease

• 07-01-2009 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Any one have experience taking Trav cheques to asia namely singapore, malaysia thailand and vietnam? I need a back up to my bank card and my visa's maxed and wont be free by travel time. Anyone used these?Any problems exchanging?Best currency to take? US dollars??I appreciate your time folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Hmmm... difficult to use out there in my experience. Singapore and possibly major cities like Bangkok and Saigon (Ho Chi minh) should be fine but I wouldn't like to have to rely on them elsewhere, particularly in remote regions. You will need to have your passport to exchange them and personally I'm not a fan of carrying that around day to day - would rather leave it in a hotel safe.

It totally depends on where you end up I suppose but I always seemed to be able to find a cash machine quicker than a bank and if you're not around during bank opening hours then you're in trouble...

I've used my laser card in Laos and Cambodia before and it worked but the charges were pretty hefty. Any chance of getting another credit card or getting an extra one off your parents/brothers/sisters/partners account to use for emergencies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 y

Arcee wrote: »
    Hmmm... difficult to use out there in my experience. Singapore and possibly major cities like Bangkok and Saigon (Ho Chi minh) should be fine but I wouldn't like to have to rely on them elsewhere, particularly in remote regions. You will need to have your passport to exchange them and personally I'm not a fan of carrying that around day to day - would rather leave it in a hotel safe.

It totally depends on where you end up I suppose but I always seemed to be able to find a cash machine quicker than a bank and if you're not around during bank opening hours then you're in trouble...

I've used my laser card in Laos and Cambodia before and it worked but the charges were pretty hefty. Any chance of getting another credit card or getting an extra one off your parents/brothers/sisters/partners account to use for emergencies?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll have my laser for most of the funds its just as a back up if A) it doesnt work in places and b) it gets lost or stolen.I just need to know if they'll be exchanged ok. HAs anyone ever taken them or are they a big no no waste of time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 y

bumpAnyone???

Advertisement