Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

deepriver wrote: »
    when I saw your 'moderator' signature I thought you might have a rational input into this debate, but you seem to be going on an endless rant adn not reading the preceding posts

You may want to re-read your own posts before going off on that route. You've been like a stuck record about Three being the worst offender, when in fact, they're not. I'm also no fan of Three, and would never recommend them, or their products, to anyone.
    just for the record I never referred to UTV or BT directly you brought them up
    No, but Three are not the only ISP to implement a charging system for cap breeches. Many others, including UTV, Perlico, Imagine, BT, NTL, O2, Vodafone and IBB, have penalised people for cap breech.
    I stand over the point, with Eircom and NTL (for example) its a theoretical cap in so much as they dont enforce it and it is designed to prevent over-usage rather than profit from it, can you give me an example of someone who has been charged for breaking a home broadband cap?

NTL have, and continue, to throttle peoples speeds for serious breech of their caps. This is not universally applied though, with some being throttled (and in the past, disconnected) and others not. Other ISPs (including all the mobile operators) have charged, or applied other sanctions, on home broadband products.
    I can give you several examples of 3 charging... and thats my entire point, they work out more expensive (IMO) than home providers yet their advertising is based around the premise they are cheaper

If you venture outside the Ts&Cs of any ISP, you can end up paying more than the initial monthly charge. This is the same for all of them. Since the charges are spelled out fairly clearly, it's nobody's fault but your own, if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

Cabaal wrote: »

Bottom line is you assumed Three did not charge, is this correct?

no I was fully aware... my thread was to inform people that they may incurr additional charges upon the 20 euro monthly and I believed there advertising was misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

jor el wrote: »
    You may want to re-read your own posts before going off on that route. You've been like a stuck record about Three being the worst offender, when in fact, they're not. I'm also no fan of Three, and would never recommend them, or their products, to anyone.

ok point taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

what they dont actually mention is they have a download cap at 10GB per month which sounds a lot, but works out on average at 330 mb per day, the average internet user would usually surpass this daily allowance, once you go over the cap you are charged 5c per MB.

My 3 broadband bills regulary work out at 75 euro per month, which is well in excess of the competition, this is with out any movie or music download...

in summary...
    - forget about downloading music & movies

- expect to pay in excess of 20 per month and up to 75eur

- very poor customer care from a call centre in India somewhere (dunno about anyone else but I find these guys very ignorant)

- network speed & coverage good (considering its mobile)

i use o2 and would consider myself an average home user and usually use less than 7-8GB a month, three do mention their 10GB cap and also that they charge for use above this, their customer care is legendary, and if you want to download large amounts of music movies or spend half your life playing online poker or other games you should get yourself broadband instead of mobile internet!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ....... their customer care is legendary!

and very much not in a good way :D
    I dealt with them a few times on behalf of a few people and when I get a Three PAYG sim for free which I could never get working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I sized up the service beforehand and went with the prepay, which is more expensive (25 euro. 1 Month. 10GB cap), but you don't have any of this overcharge nonsense, the service justs stops once either the month is up or the bandwidth has been used. Would the OP not consider prepay a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

can you give me an example of someone who has been charged for breaking a home broadband cap?
    I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Wanted to comment on my experiences with 3 Mobile Broadband as they have a quite high profile marketing campaign running saying they are cheaper than all the competition...

what they dont actually mention is they have a download cap at 10GB per month which sounds a lot, but works out on average at 330 mb per day, the average internet user would usually surpass this daily allowance, once you go over the cap you are charged 5c per MB.

My 3 broadband bills regulary work out at 75 euro per month, which is well in excess of the competition, this is with out any movie or music download...

in summary...
    - forget about downloading music & movies

- expect to pay in excess of 20 per month and up to 75eur

- very poor customer care from a call centre in India somewhere (dunno about anyone else but I find these guys very ignorant)

- network speed & coverage good (considering its mobile)

I know what your saying ppl, bt 3 and other mobile broadband providers aim there products towards pppl that like to use the internet for browsing and shopping and maybe the occassional music download.... Not for the die hard downloader, their speeds aint good enough for that and if u are a serious downloader u should be looking for the best adsl or cable based or there be it satellite based provider in ireland....

WHY DO PPL WANT SO MUCH FOR SO LITTLE???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just to give you my spin on it.

I have mobile broadband from 3.

Where I live I can't get NTL (I'd love to), I don't want a phone line, the price of what you get from most home providers is 20 quid plus.

3 are in a few weeks upping the speed to 7mbps apparently and the 10gig cap is find for me in the evenings (browsing Boards, checking mails etc).

I bring my laptop to work and during the day I download the films, songs etc that I want and that way I don't need the mobile broadband for a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Amalgam wrote: »
    I sized up the service beforehand and went with the prepay, which is more expensive (25 euro. 1 Month. 10GB cap), but you don't have any of this overcharge nonsense, the service justs stops once either the month is up or the bandwidth has been used. Would the OP not consider prepay a better option.

That's not necessarily the case. Pre pay people have been sent bills for over use

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That's not necessarily the case. Pre pay people have been sent bills for over use

It would be interesting to see the legal position 3 take defending that, if it was challenged. I gave a correct address for my E169, but no attempt was made to verify it or back it up with identification from myself. Their data counter is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3pay customers would not be sent bills for over use as there is no such thing.
    As soon as your add on ends you cannot connect (if you have the out of bundle charge enabled then this eats into the credit on your account once the add on is used up but as soon as the credit in your account hits €0 you cannot connect and need to top up)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulbds

Hi there, just thought I would give you my experience.

I am here on holidays in Wexford and have brought over my UK 3 mobile broadband modem and WiFi adapter (from 3 - -cost £70).Yes, it works and have tried with my Internet radio and Nokia internet table. -Ok so I sound a geek but wanted to see if the WiFi setup would work in Ireland before other half comes over in summer

I get a (apparently) faster speed here than I tend to get over in Wales. To be honest, I have found the 3 setup in Uk and Irl great and can go to/from UK/Irl with no roaming charges.

In fact Ireland was ahead of the game with Mobile BB before it was availble in UK and I took out my first contract for mobile BB with 3 Irl. The only "sting" I found was the whopping €129 it cost me for my first modem! However, this was a much cheaper option than getting a landline installed etc.The only good thing is that it was only a 12 month contract - -most of the UK deals are now 18months

With the uk£ dropping, the contract was becomming less value for me each month and I cancelled my €19.99 contract when the 12 months was up. I now have a £7.50/month contract with 3UK with a 5GB limit. I have never got anywhere near my allowance but I do have a land BB contract with BT. Incidentally, I have just had a mailshot from 3 and their current offering is £5/month with a 3Gb allownace (18 month contract) and free modem

I am not connected with 3 apart from a satisfied punter.

I did try and make my old 3Irl contract a PAYG but they would not supply me with a PAYG SIM so was a little brassed off with this.

Finally, I also have a SIM free Option 7.2 modem and when I plug it in it reports a 7.2 Mbs signal. I may try some spped tests later this afternoon and see if it's really that fast!

Regards
    Paul:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Walkman wrote: »
    3pay customers would not be sent bills for over use as there is no such thing.
    As soon as your add on ends you cannot connect (if you have the out of bundle charge enabled then this eats into the credit on your account once the add on is used up but as soon as the credit in your account hits €0 you cannot connect and need to top up)

A bit of a belated reply but anyway :D

That's what I thought too but there have been a few threads here from people saying they got bills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

A bit of a belated reply but anyway :D

That's what I thought too but there have been a few threads here from people saying they got bills

I would love to see those posts. How would a bill be generated. The person would not even have an account number. Yes a mobile 083 number assigned to the modem sim but no account number.

Walkman wrote: »
    I would love to see those posts. How would a bill be generated. The person would not even have an account number. Yes a mobile 083 number assigned to the modem sim but no account number.

They don't challenge or check the details you give them when purchasing a pay as you go 'Broadband' dongle. I think where people have come a cropper is by somehow managing to switch on out of bundle charging. Switch that off and you're fine, you will just lose connectivity once your alloted bandwidth or time has run out.

For many folk, once you accept the limitations of what you have, the service is satisfactory. People complaining about not being able to download multi-GB torrents on mobile phone based tech.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement