Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year Eve Glimmerball FARCE

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'd like to know if anyone else attended the Glimmerball Masquerade party in Charleville castle, and if you have any opinions to whether it was great or crap?

My boyfriend and I attended the masquerade ball at a price of 100 euro per ticket. We were so excited and had read up about the event to make sure it was what we wanted to do this new years eve. I spent 210 euro on a new dress, he hired a tuxedo, and I handmade out masks. We drove the 2 hours to the castle in Tullamore and from there it just went downhill.

We thought this was going to be a fancy gala/ball as advertised, but how wrong we were...

The 'castle' was not somewhere an event during the winter should take place. There was no heating, so everyone wore their coats for the evening inside. 2 fireplaces ensured that whoever had pulled their chair in front would be warm for the evening. Limited ticket sales to 300 did not even ensure that we would get our champagne for the evening as it was complimentary, and we arrived early. The 'bar' was either for lagerlouts or hard alcoholics. If you simply wanted a glass of wine you had to buy a bottle for 60 euro. No alcohol was allowed to be brought in, so you had to make do with their supply.

'Dinner' was served outside! where you had a choice of stew or curry slopped up on a plate cafeteria style and had to eat on picnic tables. While I pondered if the feeling would ever return to my fingers, I felt a similar bond to prisoners being served their gruel for the evening.

The dj/band was playing some sort of music that was totally unknown to me and the rest of the crowd since the dance floor was totally empty. Not a single song came on that I knew for the 2 hours that we stayed.

I wont even go into the subject of the toilets that were severly understocked.

Eventually after decided that 'Porkys' college beer keger was not how we wanted to spend out new years eve we decided to leave. Luckily, we had driven so we didnt have to wait on the coach to take us back to dublin. Upon leaving we spotted 2 other couples complaining as they were getting into their cars to leave aswell. I'm very glad we made it back to dublin in time to spend new years eve at home with our family, instead of driving or spending it miserablely cold.

I wrote to the event organizers and asked for a refund since the event was sorely misadvertised and we were highly disappointed. As predicted they refused saying we got what was advertised, but they would give us free tickets next year.... I dont think the sun has ever shone where id like to shove those tickets.

Does anyone know what kind of comebacks you have on ticketed events, or ones that are misadvertised?

And had anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd like to know if anyone else attended the Glimmerball Masquerade party in Charleville castle, and if you have any opinions to whether it was great or crap?

My boyfriend and I attended the masquerade ball at a price of 100 euro per ticket. We were so excited and had read up about the event to make sure it was what we wanted to do this new years eve. I spent 210 euro on a new dress, he hired a tuxedo, and I handmade out masks. We drove the 2 hours to the castle in Tullamore and from there it just went downhill.

We thought this was going to be a fancy gala/ball as advertised, but how wrong we were...

The 'castle' was not somewhere an event during the winter should take place. There was no heating, so everyone wore their coats for the evening inside. 2 fireplaces ensured that whoever had pulled their chair in front would be warm for the evening. Limited ticket sales to 300 did not even ensure that we would get our champagne for the evening as it was complimentary, and we arrived early. The 'bar' was either for lagerlouts or hard alcoholics. If you simply wanted a glass of wine you had to buy a bottle for 60 euro. No alcohol was allowed to be brought in, so you had to make do with their supply.

'Dinner' was served outside! where you had a choice of stew or curry slopped up on a plate cafeteria style and had to eat on picnic tables. While I pondered if the feeling would ever return to my fingers, I felt a similar bond to prisoners being served their gruel for the evening.

The dj/band was playing some sort of music that was totally unknown to me and the rest of the crowd since the dance floor was totally empty. Not a single song came on that I knew for the 2 hours that we stayed.

Eventually after decided that 'Porkys' college beer keger was not how we wanted to spend out new years eve we decided to leave. Luckily, we had driven so we didnt have to wait on the coach to take us back to dublin. Upon leaving we spotted 2 other couples complaining as they were getting into their cars to leave aswell. I'm very glad we made it back to dublin in time to spend new years eve at home with our family, instead of driving or spending it miserablely cold.

I wrote to the event organizers and asked for a refund since the event was sorely misadvertised and we were highly disappointed. As predicted they refused saying we got what was advertised, but they would give us free tickets next year.... I dont think the sun has ever shone where id like to shove those tickets.

Does anyone know what kind of comebacks you have on ticketed events, or ones that are misadvertised?

if you have a copy of the original advertisments, and another couple who also went, you could take it to small claims court, get your refund and a bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Some of these things don't get going until after a few hours has gone by and after a few people had a few drinks. If you got back to Dublin in time to celebrate the new year it doesn't seem like you gave it a fair chance.And your court case would fail if they found someone who enjoyed the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

if you have a copy of the original advertisments, and another couple who also went, you could take it to small claims court, get your refund and a bit extra

+1.

If you can demonstrate that you did not get what was advertised, then you do have grounds for a claim via the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Yep I attended.
    yea was all dress up too but not quite tux just shirt and tie you know just nice and clean and semi respectable. I would of liked for more people to make an effort but as the dress code was not mandatory not a lot did. if I had to count there was about 100 odd guests who looked like they went out and made the effort.
    The 'castle' was not somewhere an event during the winter should take place. There was no heating, so everyone wore their coats for the evening inside. 2 fireplaces ensured that whoever had pulled their chair in front would be warm for the evening.
    My recollection (was not drinking) of the heating was slightly different. The ball room was warm mainly due to the large amount of dancing people in it.

The morning room was not so warm and getting a spot around the fire was a must.

The bar/dining room was ok but again the area around the fire would of been the best.

Now for the cold parts the outside where the smokers were was bitter cold and the large fire in the courtyard did not help a whole lot.
    Limited ticket sales to 300 did not even ensure that we would get our champagne for the evening as it was complimentary,
    not so true as far as I can remember the was a rush for the free champers and you had to be prepared to wait a few minutes i know one girl who said it was not worth the effort. Than half way through the night they ran out of glasses and had to go get more which resulted in a bit of a dry spell. I was happy none the less when the glasses arrived and I got my sip which I drank outside beside the large fire.
    and we arrived early. The 'bar' was either for lagerlouts or hard alcoholics. If you simply wanted a glass of wine you had to buy a bottle for 60 euro. No alcohol was allowed to be brought in, so you had to make do with their supply.
    Would not know about this but I do know the prices was it not 20 for the wine and 40 for the champers???
    larger = Ick
    spirits = Ick
    orange juice and red bull suited me just fine.
    'Dinner' was served outside! where you had a choice of stew or curry slopped up on a plate cafeteria style and had to eat on picnic tables.
    yea well hmmmm yea not the best at all they could of done with a lot more heating in the main food tent I only remember seeing 2 heaters. The food was not quite what I had expected either. There was chicken curry, beef stew and some vegetarian dish. I sampled all three :) and would eat them again.
    While I pondered if the feeling would ever return to my fingers, I felt a similar bond to prisoners being served their gruel for the evening.
    LOL thought the same thing when outside and just wanted to get back inside to the warmth.
    yea i go the feeling they were playing to the crowd too much and just pumping out dancy tracks (ick) the live band were good but never even bothered finding out their name. Apparently they were famous.
    Could of done with more heating and more attentive attendants. Each toilet has just one guy looking after them but I got the feeling they cared more about selling sprays rather than changing the loo rolls.
    Stuck around for the whole night right up until the end and had a great time, apart from all the flawas of the night i did spend newyears with friends in ireland calimed to be most haunted castle, Wehn the new year was bellowed in the atmosphere was electric and everyone was having a great time.
    You obviously feel you have been hard done by the glimmer ball so best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

oh I found what was advertised and thought to include it

======================
    GLIMMERBALL NEW YEAR'S EVE

[url]HTTP://WWW.GLIMMERBALL.COM[/url]

The GlimmerBall masquerade party will be held inside the stunning Charleville Castle this New Year's Eve 2008.

Drinks reception on arrival. Entertainment from 7pm & a full reasonable bar until late.
    Three fully restored rooms will host live music and djs while roasting fires glow in the background of party central!

Kormac and his 10-piece band will be headlining this years event, Djs Steve Reddy and Baz will also play the main gallery!

Gourmet food will also be provided.

EASY ACCESS: Optional return luxury coaches will be provided from Dublin to Tullamore & back (Leaving at 5:30pm from the GlimmerBall at Central Bank, Dame street & returning at 2:30 am from Charleville Castle).

Tickets on sale now & proceeds help the ongoing Charleville Castle restoration project.

This event is limited to 300 special guests so ring in the new year with friends in style. Masquerade is the theme so dress to impress with black tie and cocktail dresses & get excited for a night to remember!

Dj KORMAC:
    It's been quite the few months for producer, DJ and band-leader Kormac. Of late he has brought his 11-piece live show to Castlepalooza & Electric Picnic's main stage, rocked a completly booked-up summer, picked up another DJ residency in Liverpool, recieved numerous press accolades and confirmed live and DJ shows in Africa, Austria, Switzerland, France, the Ukraine, England and Scotland.

His music at GlimmerBall will take the form of a live show featuring - alongside Kormac on turntables and keys/samplers - double bass, a barbershop quartet, trumpet , claranet, banjo, drums and a VJ. The band have played alongside DJ Numark (Jurassic 5,) DJ Food (Ninja Tunes,) DJ Craze (USA,) DJ Premiere (Gangstar,) Nas, The Herbaliser Band and Lupe Fiasco.

[url]HTTP://WWW.GLIMMERBALL.COM[/url]

=========================================

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've never heard of DJ Kormac in my life and i'm into several of the bands he has 'played alongside' (i.e at the bottom of the same bill).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

eth0_ wrote: »
    I've never heard of DJ Kormac in my life and i'm into several of the bands he has 'played alongside' (i.e at the bottom of the same bill).

Well he/she played Castlepalooza which was in the same place and which I understand was muck. He/she is probably someones son.....

Tullamore and event should never be in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

Was at it too and yip...it sucked ass!!!.

Arrived at 8.30 ( 20 of us(E2000 worth)) no champagne reception. Went for food in a freezing tent. Slop, (work in catering and they served the cheapest of cheap dishes). A few manky sofas thrown around.
    Up to the bar, 2 staff for 300 people. No draught beer, plastic glasses, crap service. Music very, very average.
    At 11pm decided to get a drink in. Got served at 11.45. Not going through that crap again, bought the group 8 btls for midnight. No glasses, nice with the flu going around! All drinking from the neck, classy!
    Got drunk, had fun with the friends, but would have had fun no matter where we were.
    Kicking out time and thats what happened, kicked out to a fire in the grounds to wait for taxis. All who came from Dublin, got onto buses and left The people who stayed in the local town, putting money into the local economy were left to fend for ourselves. The organisers effort, taxi numbers on a sheet. They claimed that there were local buses, 20 of us missed that one being announced.
    After 1.5 hours, we asked to get back inside as it was below zero and the good mood was wearing off. No go.
    Eventually got a cab and one stayed in it back and forth to ensure all 20 got home and it would not get sidetracked.
    The best part of the weekend, Days Hotel, Tullamore. Gave us a run at the bar at that late hour and had no bother with us having some crack as we warmed up.
    Wrote and got what appears to be the generic reply offering free tickets next year and we got what was advertised! Did we hell. Was shocked to get the reply as, in my opinion, Cherry Productions are the most unprofessional body I have ever come accross. Lets see do we get the ticket!! Will I use them, will I f&$k!

THE GLIMMEBALL SUCKS BIG TIME, NEVER EVER ATTEND. Happy New Year!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyone unhappy, should either get a solicitor on the case (especially in your case, nedoo, as your total cost was 2 grand), or go through the small claims process, where the max claim is €2,000, coincidentally. Information here, and here. Application can be submitted online too.

It does sound like it was fairly badly organised. Gourmet food eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Those two women that run that place are notorious for this type of thing. If somebody gets wedding pictures taken there, one of them are there waiting at the wedding car for money before the bride and groom are allowed to set foot in the place and are well known for charging an extra €50 or a hundred or €100 if the groomsman pays them.

I know I had my wedding pictures there! but was well warned before I got there so this type of party so badly organised doesn't surprise too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dave212

Looks like the two above didn't have a good night but why do we all just write gripes on these things? I had a great night with my mates but you'd never get me coming on and here and saying that? personally its a new year & all that so here's my opinion which is more positive- We went down on the bus, got in at about seven, got the free drinks, ate the food which was actually nice & had a great party! its as simple as that and there were 12 of us all dressed up & having the banter. The music was party music & good.....this was then followed by banter on the bus back to dublin which was also a laugh (Scored on the bus-brought me back to days on school trips!) If the person above had a bad night then so be it but thats always going to happen wherever you go...thats life! D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ariadne_187974

Hi guys, sorry to hear you didn't have a good night. I was at Glimmerball with a group of my mates and we had a great night! Maybe groups are more suited to this sort of thing. Was a little cold to start alright but once the castle filled up and we had a few vinos, it was grand. Hope you have a better night next year, but we'll def be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

dave212 wrote: »
    Looks like the two above didn't have a good night but why do we all just write gripes on these things? I had a great night with my mates but you'd never get me coming on and here and saying that? personally its a new year & all that so here's my opinion which is more positive- We went down on the bus, got in at about seven, got the free drinks, ate the food which was actually nice & had a great party! its as simple as that and there were 12 of us all dressed up & having the banter. The music was party music & good.....this was then followed by banter on the bus back to dublin which was also a laugh (Scored on the bus-brought me back to days on school trips!) If the person above had a bad night then so be it but thats always going to happen wherever you go...thats life! D

Haha, I love when the promoters join to talk up the party :D

Haha, I love when the promoters join to talk up the party :D

LOL yeah it's so obvious.

Here's my tip to you two: Next year, don't serve people canteen style slop after saying there would be 'gourmet' food; and have a DJ/band that people have actually heard of.

And as for locking people out in sub-zero temperature after chucking out time...that's absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Could you be any more obvious ? Everyone can see you are one of the promoters.

Sounds like a ****e event - no doubt it wont be around this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Get out of here.

This is why I never go for these 'once-off' events; they can do what they want, as they have your money. They'll come back again under a new guise and no-one will know.

Looks like the two above didn't have a good night but why do we all just write gripes on these things?

Its what it is here for.

I had a great night with my mates but you'd never get me coming on and here and saying that?

You just did!

personally its a new year & all that so here's my opinion which is more positive- We went down on the bus, got in at about seven, got the free drinks, ate the food which was actually nice & had a great party! its as simple as that and there were 12 of us all dressed up & having the banter. The music was party music & good.....this was then followed by banter on the bus back to dublin which was also a laugh

Heard it was a bit of a nightmare

(Scored on the bus-brought me back to days on school trips!) If the person above had a bad night then so be it but thats always going to happen wherever you go...thats life!

Why, if an event is well organised and you get what was promised, then its fine. If not we have the right to complain and let others know the event was crap and nobody should ever attend another of this companie gigs!D

Thanks Mr Glimmerball, pity you dont put the effort into your events:D

jese lads
    someone has a good time and you accuse them of being involved with the event management. It is possible they really did have a good time.

get over it.

For anyone interested there are pictures online

The pictures back up a lot of what the complaints are about:

Drinks served as cans or in plastic cups
    People having to wear coats at dinner
    Big crowds around the bars

All this, for only 100 euro + taxi fare? What a deal (!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

from the pictures, I get the impression that it was nothing special and that any decent hotel could do the same for half the price, people were big enough muggs tho to pay the extra for the location

Where are the pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

eth0_ wrote: »
    Where are the pictures?

Post number 18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Post number 18

yikes, those pics look like the reject cast from Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut! It looks like my worst type of night out!

I can't believe they are charging for those images, so badly taken...etc..anyway, off the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

What terrible looking do.
    Shame on the scummy promoters to come on here with fake praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

it looks like a Debs or something; certainly not worth E100!!you can see people wearing heavy winter coats indoors!

Sebzy wrote: »
    jese lads
    someone has a good time and you accuse them of being involved with the event management. It is possible they really did have a good time.

get over it.

For anyone interested there are pictures online[/QUOTE

Organizer!!!:D

nedoo wrote: »
    Organizer!!!:D

Anyway I'm sure if anyone was interested in finding out the facts they would already know who the organizers are/were.

The bottom line for me is I had a good time
    I'm not going to argue on about these silly points people keep bringing up who never even went to the ball.

No, she's not an organiser, just the photographer judging by her interests!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

There was chicken curry, beef stew and some vegetarian dish.
    wrote:
    Gourmet food will also be provided.

ROFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Anyway I'm sure if anyone was interested in finding out the facts they would already know who the organizers are/were.

The bottom line for me is I had a good time
    I'm not going to argue on about these silly points people keep bringing up who never even went to the ball.

Sebzy you know the owners or caretakers of the place though ,did they invite you down there to take pictures ?

• Advertisement

sunnyjim wrote: »
    No, she's not an organiser, just the photographer judging by her interests!

Who me NO surely not.
    sunnyjim I may be reading this wrong but did you not just call me a bird??? !!!Waves Fist!!!

The photographer on the night was some guy and his assistant/girlfriend. From what I saw there I would of liked to have my camera down on the night as the images on that website are quite poor.

Well it's Friday and time to start getting drunk.
    BTW NOC beers tonight

Advertisement