Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear or Netopia?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Which has the greater range?
    Netopia 2247 or netgear DG834PN?

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble with the netgear one.
    I won't recognise the IP address for some reason.
    I can connect to it, but it tell me that I only have local access due to an invalid IP address.

I tried a different netopia 2247 and it told me the same thing.
    Use the ethernet and still the same problem.
    Couldn't access
    192.168.1.254 on the netopia or.1 on the netgear.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Which has the greater range?
    Netopia 2247 or netgear DG834PN?

Also, I'm having a bit of trouble with the netgear one.
    I won't recognise the IP address for some reason.
    I can connect to it, but it tell me that I only have local access due to an invalid IP address.

I tried a different netopia 2247 and it told me the same thing.
    Use the ethernet and still the same problem.
    Couldn't access
    192.168.1.254 on the netopia or.1 on the netgear.

In theory the Netgear should have the greater range becauseof the mimo facility and it seems to get pretty good reviews on Amazon. However remember what the Netgear site says
    Coverage is maximised when the DG834PN is used in conjunction with NETGEAR’s RangeMax™ PC cards and adapters.

As I keep asking people who post on here will you pleae give full details of your set up so that we dont waste countless posts trying to extract information? How are you trying to access the netopia?

It sounds to me as if at some stage the laptop or pc trying to access the router has been given a fixed ip address?

How has this problem arisen now? Did the pc/laptop in question previously acess the internet? What was the set up if it did?

The address of a netgear router is usually http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The PC has a Belkin Desktop adapter 54Mbps. b/g as far as I can tell.

The laptop has a Realtek RTL8187 54Mbps b/g card.

I've just done a fresh install of XP on the PC and it's getting a half decent signal from the Netopia one, but one of the aerials on that is broken. That's why I'm trying to use the other Netopia one or the Netgear one.

I connected the laptop via the ethernet and could only connect properly to the one with the broken aerial.

Reset the routers etc.

Both the PC and laptop are working, but the signal is crap really.

Is there anything else you need to know? (Not asked in a smart way)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok. I got it working. Turns out someone had manually configured the IP address on the LAN connection on the laptop.

Anyway, now I need the password for the netgear site in order to enable security.

Anyone know what it is?

I'm sure there's a default one.

Edit: Got it.

Advertisement