Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about Lidl ripoff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

it's not a 60% increase, we've been through this a million times

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

ok groutch, sorry my maths is not up to scratch!:rolleyes:

what I should have said is..

Thats a big bloody increase...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

how are they ripping anyone off??

how many threads do we have to have before this nonsense stops?

what I meant was, have you factored in the vat differences, and the higher wages, rents, and everything else that makes it more expensive to run a supermarket in the republic? even the xe.com exchange rate is about 2.5% off what you will pay
    when you factor them in, there is a bit of profiteering, but not as much as you'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

ntlbell wrote: »
    how are they ripping anyone off??

how many threads do we have to have before this nonsense stops?
    ^^^ +1

• Advertisement

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

do the people defending this price difference really think that it costs lidl 8euro more per toaster to sell it in dundalk as it does in newry?

seriously?

the more this type of thing is highlighted, the better.

you can't base this kind of thing on a single product that a place sells

subway wrote: »
    do the people defending this price difference really think that it costs lidl 8euro more per toaster to sell it in dundalk as it does in newry?

seriously?

first of all that rate is xe rates this is not the rate you get at the bank so it's not 8euro.

secondly you are more than capable of getting into your car and driving to newry spending 20-25e on petrol to save your few quid on the toaster no one is stopping you.

highlighting that prices are cheaper in other countries than ireland?

no one is forcing you to go to dundalk or anywhere else.

we have gone over it a hundred times.

insurance/rent/land/wages..just about every single cost you can think of will be cheaper in the uk than to here

this will make up a huge different in price

then when you add how weak STG is this is making a difference

if you go back only a few months and take the actuall rate a bank etc was given in STG the time it takes to go there not everyone lives in dundalk

the petrol etc etc

see how much cheaper your toaster becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

You may have gone over it a 100 times, but it appears you are incorrect.
    Heres a link to the recent Forfas study, commissioned by Minister Coughlan -
    http://www.forfas.ie/publications/2008/title,2623,en.php

Summary of said report from Irish times (which puts it better than I could) @ http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1222/breaking50.htm

"Forfás’s study, which was published today, shows that while operating costs for retailers in Dublin were on average 25 per cent higher than in Belfast, such costs accounted for only 20 to 25 per cent of the total cost of a retail good, meaning that the price differential between goods should only be 5 to 6 per cent higher in the capital." (my emphasis)

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Lplated wrote: »
    You may have gone over it a 100 times, but it appears you are incorrect.

Summary of said report from Irish times (which puts it better than I could) @ http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/1222/breaking50.htm

"Forfás’s study, which was published today, shows that while operating costs for retailers in Dublin were on average 25 per cent higher than in Belfast, such costs accounted for only 20 to 25 per cent of the total cost of a retail good, meaning that the price differential between goods should only be 5 to 6 per cent higher in the capital." (my emphasis)

Hope this helps.

But most of the extra costs of doing business "down south" are caused by the government, and one would hardly expect a government body to stress this much...

first of all that rate is xe rates this is not the rate you get at the bank so it's not 8euro.

secondly you are more than capable of getting into your car and driving to newry spending 20-25e on petrol to save your few quid on the toaster no one is stopping you.

highlighting that prices are cheaper in other countries than ireland?

no one is forcing you to go to dundalk or anywhere else.

insurance/rent/land/wages..just about every single cost you can think of will be cheaper in the uk than to here

this will make up a huge different in price

then when you add how weak STG is this is making a difference

if you go back only a few months and take the actuall rate a bank etc was given in STG the time it takes to go there not everyone lives in dundalk

the petrol etc etc

see how much cheaper your toaster becomes.
    i'm sure you've heard of the term "economies of scale"?
    lidl are a huge bulk buyer and distributor.

if i was to go to the north and get 500 hundred toasters it would not cost me 8euro (or 7/7.50) per box to transport etc.

fact that the forum is called rip off ireland indicates that it is indeed the place to show ireland is a rip off compared to other countries.

you may have gone over it one hundred times, but that still does not make it the blanket defence answer everytime someone posts a rip off for all to see. is there any reason why you are so quick to dismiss this users post? do you work for some interested party (government or otherwise) that might have an interest in putting negative spin on such repoirts as these?
    you have given some generic answers, but nothing that explains the price difference on this particualr item in full.

this is clearly a rip off and this forum is for highlighting it

Hi all

I know that living and working in Ireland is expensive..

I know that all things coming through from the UK will be more expensive, what I was trying to highlight with that single product is how much company's can and do try to maximize profits from us.

The links to both versions of Lidl websites show that the increase is in everything, of course I was showing just one product as a comparison, but please look at other products beside that toaster :o

There is a VAT difference
    there are wage differences
    there are a humumgous differences in areas of cost that we deal with each day, but we all know that its not that different.

No, I wont go up North to just buy a toaster. (I already have one!!). It would be bloody stupid for the majority of people to do that as its not cost effective, unless maybe they were on the border.

But what I will do is buy things the cheapest way possible. If that means going online I will, if it was feasible (cost effective) to go up north to buy a number of larger products, I will.

What I am showing is when Lidl claim, how cheap they are when in effect they are still charging us over the odds.

i'm sure you've heard of the term "economies of scale"?
    lidl are a huge bulk buyer and distributor.

if i was to go to the north and get 500 hundred toasters it would not cost me 8euro (or 7/7.50) per box to transport etc.

fact that the forum is called rip off ireland indicates that it is indeed the place to show ireland is a rip off compared to other countries.

you may have gone over it one hundred times, but that still does not make it the blanket defence answer everytime someone posts a rip off for all to see. is there any reason why you are so quick to dismiss this users post? do you work for some interested party (government or otherwise) that might have an interest in putting negative spin on such repoirts as these?
    you have given some generic answers, but nothing that explains the price difference on this particualr item in full.

this is clearly a rip off and this forum is for highlighting it

that would be great of this was the buisness/whole sale forum it's for consumers to go and buy and consumers don't generaly go and buy 500 toasters what a rediclous statment.

no i don't work for any VI :rolleyes:

I'm more than happy for people to shop around be it in ireland the republic or thailand

But to post a thread on every fc*king item that's sold in a different country at a different price is rediclous.

I think the problem is half the people here don't seem to understand what a rip off is.

If you can't understand why things are cheaper in the uk and other countries then you really need to spend some of your earnnings from selling all those toaster on a basic book on econmics.

something been sold in another country at a different price != a rip off

regardless of what spin you put on it if you want to point out bargains then point them out in the bargain forum whioch has a specific thread for pointing them out

this is for rip off's the OP's is not a rip off

I can't make it any more simple.

olearydc wrote: »

But what I will do is buy things the cheapest way possible. If that means going online I will, if it was feasible (cost effective) to go up north to buy a number of larger products, I will.

What I am showing is when Lidl claim, how cheap they are when in effect they are still charging us over the odds.

and so you should but what you should do is post bargain's in the bargain forum's and rip off's here

what you showed was a bargain in newry.

but they're not ripping anyone off.

They have a toaster they have set a price in ireland

there's no rip off in this post

that would be great of this was the buisness/whole sale forum it's for consumers to go and buy and consumers don't generaly go and buy 500 toasters what a rediclous statment.

no i don't work for any VI :rolleyes:

I'm more than happy for people to shop around be it in ireland the republic or thailand

But to post a thread on every fc*king item that's sold in a different country at a different price is rediclous.

I think the problem is half the people here don't seem to understand what a rip off is.

If you can't understand why things are cheaper in the uk and other countries then you really need to spend some of your earnnings from selling all those toaster on a basic book on econmics.

something been sold in another country at a different price != a rip off

regardless of what spin you put on it if you want to point out bargains then point them out in the bargain forum whioch has a specific thread for pointing them out

this is for rip off's the OP's is not a rip off

I can't make it any more simple.
    i think you need to chill out.
    if you dont like the post, report it or suggest that it isnt a rip off.

but this "its not f*cking rip off, you dont understand how things work" attitude does you no favors.

i think you need to chill out.
    if you dont like the post, report it or suggest that it isnt a rip off.

but this "its not f*cking rip off, you dont understand how things work" attitude does you no favors.

thanks for your concern.

and so you should but what you should do is post bargain's in the bargain forum's and rip off's here

what you showed was a bargain in newry.

but they're not ripping anyone off.

They have a toaster they have set a price in ireland

there's no rip off in this post

There is 2 ways at looking at this

1...Your way...Its a bargain in newry.....Great, you can post it where you like
    2...My way.....Its a rip off here......And I post it in the rip off forum..

But I'm sure you are right...so relax..
    send a email to admin with your concerns and I'm sure they will move this post to the appropriate forum

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

The enthusiasm with which some posters defend the retail sector while claiming no VI or connection with same makes me wonder. The retailers are well able to defend their own actions. If someone in the sector wants to come on and give us some solid facts/links as to why their prices are justified I would welcome that. Some examples with actual profit margins etc would be even better.

However it has been obvious for the last number of years that we in this country were not always getting the best deal to be had. Couple that with something that was relayed to me by someone in the business and I quote 'we don't charge a specific percentage mark-up, we charge what we think we can get for the item'. With the willingness of the Irish population as a whole to pay whatever was asked for the last number of years and you can understand why Lidl et al are still at this sort of carry on irrespective of Vat and the other costs of doing business in the Republic.

As far as I can tell the second hand motor trade of cars 5+ years is the only place I see value beginning to creep in due to a virtual collapse in sales. But I am sure others will follow in due course.

There is 2 ways at looking at this

1...Your way...Its a bargain in newry.....Great, you can post it where you like
    2...My way.....Its a rip off here......And I post it in the rip off forum..

But I'm sure you are right...so relax..
    send a email to admin with your concerns and I'm sure they will move this post to the appropriate forum

There has been a ton of posts recently due to recession, there's another huge thread on the first page explaining price difference in the uk and ireland

What your posting is not a rip off it's a company in two different countries charging different amounts.

this happens all over the world.

it's _not_ a rip off.

You seem to be having problems with the concept "rip off"

maybe have a read through the debenhams thread to get get a grasp of whats going on

• Advertisement

MaxFlower wrote: »
    The enthusiasm with which some posters defend the retail sector while claiming no VI or connection with same makes me wonder. The retailers are well able to defend their own actions. If someone in the sector wants to come on and give us some solid facts/links as to why their prices are justified I would welcome that. Some examples with actual profit margins etc would be even better. .

I'm not defending the retail sector, if you are that bothred i'm sure a little search on topis I generally post on it will be obvious to you I'm not a VI.

I work in IT I'm a techie, I'm not sticking up for them I type this to you on a fantastic laptop I purchased in the north only a week about and saved myself a lot of money.

What you don't see is me posting that the same shop in Ireland tried to rip me off. I'll explain why they didn't they said we have X product I asked how much it was they said X amount I walked out and looked elsewhere

He wasn't trying to rip me off he did try and sell me something that it wasn't he didn't tell me it was the best laptop in the world and sell me some out of date slow sluggish laptop he put a price on it told me what it was and I walked away

how is this shop ripping me off?

am I happy that prices in the republic are more exspensive? no...

but claiming every shop that charges more than a shop in another country is a rip off I could post thread after thread after thread of items that are cheaper elsewhere

I could litearlly fill pages every day of cheaper items elsewhere

But the point is the shop isn't "ripping you off" they're not selling you something it's not they're not hiding anything from you

they say here's the product this is the price you make the call.

there's no "ripping off" going on.....

Calling me a VI is just down right stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Wasn't really directed at you, just an observation in general of a number of posts I have read over a period, but if you want to take offense so be it.
    What you don't see is me posting that the same shop in Ireland tried to rip me off. I'll explain why they didn't they said we have X product I asked how much it was they said X amount I walked out and looked elsewhere.

Assuming the item is not something essential. You can't always walk out. If I need a part to get my car on the road and I can't afford to wait the days/weeks it would take to get that part from a dealer in another country - despite the factor of 4 price difference - I have to purchase locally at whatever price.
    But the point is the shop isn't "ripping you off" they're not selling you something it's not they're not hiding anything from you

Why does it have to be hidden to be a rip-off? Some retailers are not too concerned if you know it or not.

There has been a ton of posts recently due to recession, there's another huge thread on the first page explaining price difference in the uk and ireland

What your posting is not a rip off it's a company in two different countries charging different amounts.

this happens all over the world.

it's _not_ a rip off.

You seem to be having problems with the concept "rip off"

maybe have a read through the debenhams thread to get get a grasp of whats going on

Hi

Yes, had read it..read it again..
    amazing ...Looks to be 2 different opinions there too..just like in this toast..I mean post

you're right again...my concept of being ripped off is totally wrong...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seriously?

Not Lidl but Aldi.

Graduate program

from .ie

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of €58K plus car and fantastic career prospects. "

.co.uk

"All in return for a market leading rewards package including a starting salary of £40K plus car and fantastic career prospects."

Store Assistant

.ie

"If you're over 18, a practical and friendly team player who likes working in a fast-paced environment, but also likes thinking for yourself, then this may well be the job for you.Hourghly rate from €10.85"

.co.uk

If you're over 18, a practical and friendly team player who likes working in a fast-paced environment, but also likes thinking for yourself, then this may well be the job for you. £7.70 rising to £8.85"

Anyone want to take up the case for the poor oppressed Brits?

MaxFlower wrote: »
    Wasn't really directed at you, just an observation in general of a number of posts I have read over a period, but if you want to take offense so be it.

Assuming the item is not something essential. You can't always walk out. If I need a part to get my car on the road and I can't afford to wait the days/weeks it would take to get that part from a dealer in another country - despite the factor of 4 price difference - I have to purchase locally at whatever price.
    Why does it have to be hidden to be a rip-off? Some retailers are not too concerned if you know it or not.

I'm not taken offence I just think it was a mornic statment to make.

I'm not saying it has to be hidden but to get ripped off something has to happen, if you don't purchase something you haven't been ripped off.

Taken car parts for example I use a breakers in the north that delivers every morning to Dublin and have done for the last twenty years.

They don't even charge for delivery.

You could look around for the part in other parts of the country I have often bought parts on Cork/Limerick/Cavan cheaper than I was getting them in Dublin

The Dublin parts department wasn't trying to rip me off

they were paying a hell of a lot more rent for ther parts shop in dublin city

there staff had mortages up to the hilt cause property was so expsensive in dublin so they demanded much higher wages

the list goes on and on and on the parts place couldn't sell at a loss so it has to raise the price of the goods to stay in buisness..

this is just econmomics it's not a "rip off"

Now I'm not saying every single place is in ireland is in the right and are charging more becuase they can of course there is some places doing this
    but you have to look at the reality of the situation here Lidl have really put the cat amongst the piegions regarding supermarkets they are forcing tesco etc to make less profits by offering fantastic value on just about 99% of their produce

Tesco have a history of some strange carry on like dropping the prices of some items to get you and hiking up the prices of others Lidl does not do this they have offered fantastic value

To say they're ripping people of basing it on a fecking toaster is just down right retarded.

Lets save our annoyances for companies that geuinley dont offer value and go out of there to try and "rip off" their loyal customers.

Lidl is not one of them and this fecking toaster is not an example.

To say they're ripping people of basing it on a fecking toaster is just down right retarded.

Lets save our annoyances for companies that geuinley dont offer value and go out of there to try and "rip off" their loyal customers.

Lidl is not one of them and this fecking toaster is not an example.

you are getting a bit heated up with that toaster...I take it you wont be buying one soon

you are getting a bit heated up with that toaster...I take it you wont be buying one soon

No, But after all this talk I'd murder a few slices of toasted brennans dripping in butter...

No, But after all this talk I'd murder a few slices of toasted brennans dripping in butter...

Fair play...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have been waiting to see this report. I had a quick skim through it.
    meaning that the price differential between goods should only be 5 to 6 per cent higher in the capital."
    I couldn't see that in the report. Have you read it fully yet? if so could you point me to the page where this is mentioned.

I did see this bit
    The purpose of this study was to examine the composition of retail business costs in Ireland and to determine how their cost base compares with retailers in other countries. While operating costs are on average 25 percent higher in Dublin than in Belfast, they account for a relatively small share of
    total costs (circa 20-25%).Our analysis highlights that higher operating costs in Ireland add approximately 5-6 percent to the total cost base of retailers in Dublin versus those operating in Belfast
    I do not think that means the same as the previous quote though. I am not familiar enough with economic terms, but I presume "cost base", and "price of goods" are different things.

I find it really puzzling since if this was the case surely retailers in the north and UK would be selling up and opening up here, if it really was so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Thanks for that OP :) Must check the comparisons in future before buying stuff there; That €8 price difference is nonsense!

Advertisement