Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Darts a Sport and Should it be at the Olympics?

• 07-01-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Is darts a sport?

Sid wants YOUR views on the great darts debate

Posted: 07th January 2009 14:23

Raymond-van-Barneveld-Jan-2-win-celeb_1720918.jpg
    I don't think any darts players would say winning a gold medal would be a bigger achievement than winning the World Championship. The Olympics should ask us to go, rather than us having to lobby them.
    Sid Waddell
    Quotes of the week

The great philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein said that it's as hard to define sport as it is to define language.
    Why do you speak in a different way to your bank manager than you do to your bookmaker? Are the noises that whales and dolphins make the same as human language? Why does an Eskimo have more than 90 words for snow?
    It's almost impossible to define what language is - and Wittgenstein said you have the same problem with sport. Is rifle shooting a sport? Is synchronised swimming a sport? Is sumo wrestling a sport?
    And is darts a sport?
    Giles Smith has kicked off the debate in The Times and I personally believe that darts fulfils all of the criteria needed to be classed as a sport.
    As hard as it is to define, I've looked through all of the dictionaries and I've found that something needs to have three aspects to it to be classed as a sport.
    First of all it needs to have competition. If you are playing bat and ball with your granny on Scarborough beach it does not become a sport until you put up a net and say 'first to 15'. Darts clearly has that competitive element.
    Secondly, sport demands hand to eye co-ordination. Darts is surely the essence of that particular skill.
    The third factor is that you get better by practice. It's clear that if you had Phil Taylor showing you how to throw darts properly, you'd be a better darts player in a month's time than you are now.
    So for me, darts has always satisfied all of the parameters to be a sport - and having seen where Taylor has taken it to, nobody can tell me it's not a sport.
    Olympic darts

People also ask me if darts should become an Olympic sport. Personally, I think the Olympics needs darts more than darts needs the Olympics.
    If you look at baseball, then only one or two of the players from the New York Yankees or the Boston Red Sox will go to the Olympics. The big stars like Derek Jeter and David Ortiz would not go. For them it's all about the World Series.
    It's similar with football. The very best footballers would regard the Olympics as a sideline, certainly in this country.
    With £6million in world prize money available now, why would professional darters be as concerned about the Olympics as they are about winning the world title? Like baseball, darts is such an amazing, well-organised professional spectacle that the Olympics would be privileged to have us.
    Somebody like Bob Anderson would have argued differently 10 years ago. As a former junior javelin champion, Bob would have loved to have been in the Olympics, but as a commentator I would not see commentating on darts at the Olympics as the same honour as commentating on the World Championship.
    I don't think any darts players would say winning a gold medal would be a bigger achievement than winning the World Championship. The Olympics should ask us to go, rather than us having to lobby them.
    Furthermore team darts has never had the appeal of individual darts. Great Britain A, B, C and D would be battling it out with Holland A, B and C for the medals anyway. It might be boring.

I know most people on here can't stand this guy, but I think it would make a good debate, I also heard the commentators on the Lakeside talking about this yesterday. In my view it should be at the olympics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

It certainly has as much claim to be in the Olympics as many of the other minority sports, the skill levels involved to compete at the highest level are huge. Maybe with an olympic throwing distance of 7 feet (like the News of the World used to be if I remember correctly).

The only problem might be the fact that the majority of the best players are from the British Isles, although the popularity and quality of players does seem to be improving globally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It definitely is a sport, I have had countles arguments with people about this. Most people claim to me that sport is about physical fitness, it's not although darts certainly requires fitnes in a different way to a field sport. playing darts on a roasting hot stage for two hours is very tiring and demands fitness to a certain degree. It takes incredible amounts of skill and practice to become a darts player and the physical aspect involved in throwing the dart makes it a sport for me.

I think it would be good for darts to be in the olympics because maybe more people would get over their preconceptions that darts is not a sport and is only played by fat drunk lads. On the other hand I think it would be boring as hell, it would be between Great Britain and Holland every time unless John Part can win it. I also don't think that the players will want to win it as much as any of the other major TV tournaments because darts fans will not be hugley interested in the olympics same as Tennis fans or Soccer fans.

I think it should be there because it is a sport and deserves it's place, but I don't think it will be taken very seriously by darts fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

What if they kept it to amateurs like boxing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Healio wrote: »
    What if they kept it to amateurs like boxing?

Now that is a very good idea. There will still be some excellent players because a lot of the PDC and BDO players are not professionals. Can't see the likes of Phil Taylor supporting this idea though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

No and **** no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Without a doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Without question darts is a sport, it actually annoys me when people suggest it's not, for 3 simple (in addition to a lot more) reasons...

1. it's played competitively in leagues, tournaments and televised events
    2. it's played globally and is known well among children to adults
    and
    3. it takes skill, bags full of skill, to play, and practice, hours and hours of practice to obtain a level of skill to be able to compete at the top level...

it may not be a physical sport that requires gym hours and nutrition gurus and all that fandango but the level of concentration required rivals any sport in the world...

now, as for the olympics, its not as simple as yes or no but there are factors that suggest it should be included, along with sports that have been lobbying for years (9 ball pool, bowling, chess etc.) there are factors to consider i.e. amateur status but certainly there is an arguement there, although even if lord Sidney was to argue our corner london 2012 is surely too close to see it implemented, maybe 2020 is the realistic suggestion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

whaaames wrote: »
    Without question darts is a sport, it actually annoys me when people suggest it's not, for 3 simple (in addition to a lot more) reasons...

1. it's played competitively in leagues, tournaments and televised events
    2. it's played globally and is known well among children to adults
    and
    3. it takes skill, bags full of skill, to play, and practice, hours and hours of practice to obtain a level of skill to be able to compete at the top level...

it may not be a physical sport that requires gym hours and nutrition gurus and all that fandango but the level of concentration required rivals any sport in the world...

By this reasoning poker is a sport then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Trippie wrote: »
    By this reasoning poker is a sport then

No he said it requires hours and hours of practice, poker can be picked up in 15 minutes by a person with half a brain.

Also show me a poker league? Also children playing poker? a gambling game, are you serious, ive never heard of a youths cup of poker

Poker requires almost no concentration where as darts is a game of pure concentration, a crowd couldnt put you off in poker, where as watching the 9 darters by barney on youtube, just go and watch the last 3 darts, how the crowd didnt put him off is beyond me. Just thoroughly professional and clinical

In Darts its a piece of metal and flight, in shooting they have sight enhanced rifles, its practically a non event. honestly how people dont see the skill and temperment required to be a professional darts player is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Suppose on way of looking at it is comparing it with javelin, javelin is one big long dart, just throw it as far as you can, massive area to hit as well, where as the darter has a wee tiny red patch to get 3 micro javelins into, when you think about it, which one would deserve an olymic place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

No he said it requires hours and hours of practice, poker can be picked up in 15 minutes by a person with half a brain.

Also show me a poker league? Also children playing poker? a gambling game, are you serious, ive never heard of a youths cup of poker

Poker requires almost no concentration where as darts is a game of pure concentration, a crowd couldnt put you off in poker, where as watching the 9 darters by barney on youtube, just go and watch the last 3 darts, how the crowd didnt put him off is beyond me. Just thoroughly professional and clinical

In Darts its a piece of metal and flight, in shooting they have sight enhanced rifles, its practically a non event. honestly how people dont see the skill and temperment required to be a professional darts player is beyond me

Your lack of understanding of the game of poker is feckin hilarious :rolleyes:

Your lack of understanding of the game of poker is feckin hilarious :rolleyes:

Well i play poker, i know the rules, ive played in competitions, ive won quite a few

i would say my knowledge of poker is quite decent and to try an classify poker as a sport would show your lack of knowledge of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

imo sport is competition where hand/eye co-ordination and or physical excertion (sp) is required which is why I think Snooker and Darts should be counted and the likes of Poker and Chess shouldn't

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Well i play poker, i know the rules, ive played in competitions, ive won quite a few

i would say my knowledge of poker is quite decent and to try an classify poker as a sport would show your lack of knowledge of the game

HU 4 rollz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

5starpool wrote: »

Poker is much more of a mental 'game' and there aren't actually any physical requirements in order to play. You don't even need arms/legs in order to take part.

I do have to ask the question(s)

Is Archery a sport ?

Is shooting a sport ?

They both have similarities to darts.

Is Ballroom Dancing a sport?

Is Rythmic Gymnatics a sport ?

Are these events that are 'judged' actually sports ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Think you hit the nail on the head Rented, some of the so called sports in the olympics are just stupid,one word Dressage (dancing horses)

shoutman wrote: »
    HU 4 rollz?

What???

Also as a moderator surely you are a aware Txt speak is frowned upon

HU 4 rollz?

Less of this! You're just looking for a reaction.

What???

Also as a moderator surely you are a aware Txt speak is frowned upon

HU4Rollz is a fairly common expression in poker.

Also you say your knowledge of the game is pretty good. To be fair I don't know many sports which require this level of knowledge at the most basic level to be reasonably good.

EDIT: Oh, and the way in which the IOC seems to choose it's applicable sports is ridiculous. Boxing has been in the Olympics for decades but they discriminate against women's boxing without apology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

If poker is a sport then we could call Snakes n Ladders and Guess Who sports in their own right!

I was merely trying to make a point by my comment. Dionsiseire tries to portray him/herself as quite knowledgable about poker. My comment might slip over the head of some of the older generation of poker players, but the vast majority of those who play semi regularly I would assume would know this vernacular.

The fact of the matter is that almost certainly dionsiseire does not know near as much as he/she thinks he/she does.

The addage that is generally used in poker is that the more you learn the more you realise that you don't know that much at all.

To get back on topic I think that darts should be classified as a sport however I'm not sure about it merits being an olympic sport. First off I don't know why the darts community would want it as an olympic sport.
    Obviously it is a highly skillfull game and one at which I am absolutely useless dispite countless hours being spent practicing at the dart board.

This might come across as a bit snobby but I think Darts is best left to the Ally pally and such places, its more at home with people drinking copious amounts of alcohol and chanting nonsense to their hearts content. It's good fun and as such fun should should have no place in the olympics.

ratinakeg wrote: »
    If poker is a sport then we could call Snakes n Ladders and Guess Who sports in their own right!

I don't think poker is a sport, a game of skill but not a sport. No hand eye co-ordination and no physical attributes needed. Yes it helps to be fit in order to keep up levels of concentration but all it needs is a brain to play so I don't think its a sport.

Cue someone coming up with an example of a recognised sport that only requires brainpower, before someone says the maths olympics or something as silly, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Are you serious?! In NO way is darts a sport. This issue has come up before and it annoys me to no end.

A sport is something that requires fitness (which 99.9% of darts players do not have), training, discipline and skill.

Ive been into the pub before picked up a dart and thrown it at the bullseye. And im not an international player or have ever played a full game before. All darts is, is good hand eye co-ordination.

I can just hear the romans rolling in their graves at the thought of a 400pound lardo participating in the olympics!

Are you serious?! In NO way is darts a sport. This issue has come up before and it annoys me to no end.

A sport is something that requires fitness (which 99.9% of darts players do not have), training, discipline and skill.

Ive been into the pub before picked up a dart and thrown it at the bullseye. And im not an international player or have ever played a full game before. All darts is, is good hand eye co-ordination.

I can just hear the romans rolling in their graves at the thought of a 400pound lardo participating in the olympics!

If its so easy for you, you should turn pro, in all my time playing I've yet to hit above a 140. Darts isn't easy.

As for sport requiring fitness thats bull. What about shooting, archery, curling.
    Even some golfers aren't in good shape.
    Also professional dart players spend hours a day practicing.

Are you serious, look at all the olympic games that already exist that require absolutely ZERO fitness, and darts players do the other 3 of your requirements, they train, they have great discipline, and while you may throw 1 dart at the board and hit a bullseye you will NEVER beat phil taylor in a game of 501 without hours upon hours upon hours upon weeks upon years of practice.

Olympic Games not requiring Fitness

Shooting
    Golf
    Diving
    Cricket
    Croquet
    Synchronized swimming
    Archery

Are you genuinely serious

I was merely trying to make a point by my comment. Dionsiseire tries to portray him/herself as quite knowledgable about poker. My comment might slip over the head of some of the older generation of poker players, but the vast majority of those who play semi regularly I would assume would know this vernacular.

The fact of the matter is that almost certainly dionsiseire does not know near as much as he/she thinks he/she does.

The addage that is generally used in poker is that the more you learn the more you realise that you don't know that much at all.

To get back on topic I think that darts should be classified as a sport however I'm not sure about it merits being an olympic sport. First off I don't know why the darts community would want it as an olympic sport.
    Obviously it is a highly skillfull game and one at which I am absolutely useless dispite countless hours being spent practicing at the dart board.

This might come across as a bit snobby but I think Darts is best left to the Ally pally and such places, its more at home with people drinking copious amounts of alcohol and chanting nonsense to their hearts content. It's good fun and as such fun should should have no place in the olympics.

Point made of lack of knowledge maybe but not that poker can be played and won without all the maths crap involved

Ive won 8 poker tournaments with entry of over 150 people, i dont use math though i do use gut intinct and my guess as to the chance of catching the card i need. you dont need a calculator to play good poker, its just some people like to think it makes the difference between them and an amateur, but an amatuer will as easily catch a math genius out with a quality bluff or a great call

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

and while you may throw 1 dart at the board and hit a bullseye you will NEVER beat phil taylor in a game of 501 without hours upon hours upon hours upon weeks upon years of practice.

Im guessing since you know the names of darts players, youre on the 'I <3 darts' side. No way is darts a sport. Its merely hand eye co-ordination at best.

Far as I know golf is not an olympic sport. Unless its something new to be added since last I watched the olympics.

And merely for comparison, if diving is not a sport why don't darts players have the toned bodies of divers?

Ive won 8 poker tournaments with entry of over 150 people, i dont use math though i do use gut intinct and my guess as to the chance of catching the card i need. you dont need a calculator to play good poker, its just some people like to think it makes the difference between them and an amateur, but an amatuer will as easily catch a math genius out with a quality bluff or a great call

I dont know how to say it any other way, you are just plain wrong. Yes on any given day any player might win a particular poker tournement, indeed it is often argues that without a little bit of luck it is almost impossible to win a tournement with a sizeable field. No one can argue that, but what one can argue is that you can have a huge advantage over the rest of the people in the field due to your level of knowledge/thought process.
    Football for example, say Brazil play Ireland 1million times. Ireland might beat them 5% of the time (just an example), this is because Brazil have better players and thus are more likely to win. But every now and again Ireland will win, they might get lucky or whatever but they will win.

Its the same in poker, the cream will always rise to the top. That is why people say that Phil Ivey, Durrr and Phil Galfond are among the best poker players in the world. Is it that they win everytime they play? No, but it is because when they do play they play it at such a high level that everyone knows over any length of time they will win a lot more then others. It has absolutely nothing to do with luck what so ever. Pure and simple they are better at the game then others. And hence why they are all millionaires.

• Advertisement

Why do you need a toned body to be a sportsman? Golf is most certainly a sport, it is one of the most popular sports in the world and golf has its fair share of fatties.

Darts should not be an olympic sport as I have already said, however it most definately is a sport.
    Would you call table tennis a sport? It too requires hand eye co-ordination combined with a small bit of movement. But it is a lot easier to hit a table tennis ball on to the other side of the table then it is to hit a nine darter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

but an amatuer will as easily catch a math genius out with a quality bluff or a great call

Both of these have their root in maths.

Point made of lack of knowledge maybe but not that poker can be played and won without all the maths crap involved

Seriously where are these tournaments I want some of this action,your arguement that using mathts in poker is crap is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever read :rolleyes:

Olympic Games not requiring Fitness

Shooting SIZE="1"]clearly you've never gone shooting, the fitness required to be able to lower your heart rate is quite lot[/SIZE
    Golf [dont think this is in the olympics]
    Diving "][so seeing the lads with the perfectly formed bodies and tight abs doesnt give off the impression that you have to be fit? i do realise that sounds quite ghey]
    Cricket [again not in the olympics afaik]
    Croquet [you're getting ridiculous now]
    Synchronized swimming [have you ever seen a fat chick doing this?]
    Archery [much like the shooting a differne type of fitness is required and ability to control ones breathing is key]

Are you genuinely serious

are you?

Im guessing since you know the names of darts players, youre on the 'I <3 darts' side. No way is darts a sport. Its merely hand eye co-ordination at best.

Far as I know golf is not an olympic sport. Unless its something new to be added since last I watched the olympics.

And merely for comparison, if diving is not a sport why don't darts players have the toned bodies of divers?

After just throwing one dart how can you come to the conclusion that darts is not a sport and it at best it is merely hand eye co-ordination. Wow you hit the bull. I ask you to throw 50 more and you will be lucky to hit the bull again as you don't practice.

Also you said the Romans would be turning in their graves:confused:
    I think it was the Greeks who started the Olympics:)

are you?

All of those games were listed on wikipedia as part of the games

Also with shooting and archery and lowering your heart rate or holding one's breath

How does that different one bit from the concentration and accuracy required to play darts at a professional level, i imagine every dart player has to lower his heart rate to hit a winning double, the calmer you are the more accurate you are.

Surely you see that what your saying is rediculous and an unfit person could as easily do shooting and archery as a fit person could

similarly an unfit person can play darts, but a fit person will be capable of going through the matches with greater concentration levels then an unfit person, that is why most of the PDC professionals now spend hours in the gym to increase their stamina for longer games

im sorry but this crap of unfit people only play darts is now a load of crap that has circled the game due to the low standards that the game had to crawl out from. Darts is quite assuredly now a sport

• Advertisement

Seriously where are these tournaments I want some of this action,your arguement that using mathts in poker is crap is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever read :rolleyes:

i wont ever be in the world series, but i can quite capably play the game of poker without calculating an odd in my head, i would do some very basic math to give myself an idea of my chance but nothing like the maths you linked to

also

why would i tell you where i play, im cleaning up, im not telling someone who plays at a high level :D

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news05/olympics1.html
    Golf could well be at the next olympics, also cricket was played at the 1900 games!

zuutroy wrote: »
    Both of these have their root in maths.

With an amateur the root was in maths but the call was out of stupidity, or a gut instinct, no skill, no training required

i wont ever be in the world series
    With an amateur the root was in maths but the call was out of stupidity, or a gut instinct, no skill, no training required

Why wont you be in the WSOP if there is no skill invloved? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ratinakeg wrote: »
    After just throwing one dart how can you come to the conclusion that darts is not a sport and it at best it is merely hand eye co-ordination. Wow you hit the bull. I ask you to throw 50 more and you will be lucky to hit the bull again as you don't practice.

Also you said the Romans would be turning in their graves:confused:
    I think it was the Greeks who started the Olympics:)
    if any of you check up on the history of darts you will find it first started in the middle ages ,the spear throwers would practise there throwing indoors in bad weather,as it wasent practical with long spears indoors they shortened them so now you have darts one of the oldest sports in the world

• Advertisement

How does that different one bit from the concentration and accuracy required to play darts at a professional level, i imagine every dart player has to lower his heart rate to hit a winning double, the calmer you are the more accurate you are.

Explain to me so how to fcuk Andy Fordham won a world title :rolleyes:

Explain to me so how to fcuk Andy Fordham won a world title :rolleyes:

He never said you HAVE to be fit to play, he said it certainly helps to be fit. To stand on a stage for three hours in front of roasting hot lights with 2,000 people screaming at you and to be constantly throwing darts and walking back and forth to the oche requires a certain level of fitness and certainly the fitter you are the easier you are going to find the long matches.

All of this is irrelevant anyway because sport is not only about fitness and many sports don't require top fitness. Golfers are not required to be super fit and that is one of the most popular sports in the world.

Most people who claim darts is not a sport and is full of fatties are just ignorant. Yes it used to be like that back in the days of Eric Bristow and John Lowe, sure they use to smoke and drink on stage. Those days are long gone and the standard of darts has improved a huge amount since the players have started focusing on mental and physical fitness. Darts is most definitely a sport but I also agree that it may not be suited to the olympics for different reasons.

And to the person who says darts is easy, I ask you to challenge any of the regulars on this forum to a game. I can guarantee you that you won't win!

getz wrote: »
    if any of you check up on the history of darts you will find it first started in the middle ages ,the spear throwers would practise there throwing indoors in bad weather,as it wasent practical with long spears indoors they shortened them so now you have darts one of the oldest sports in the world
    Here it is

How The Game Of Darts Came To be

Darts is a sport unique in many ways; no specific outfits required, the price of equipments for the game is moderately reasonable and little space is needed to play the game. Furthermore, gender, age and the size of the players does not in any way influence the individual’s game.

Some believe and claim that dart history began when bored soldiers challenge each other by throwing their spears into turned over barrel base, that later evolved into a cut up tree trunk for target.

The rings in the tree trunk turned out to be perfect for keeping scores. As winter took the game indoors, darts of shorter lengths were used and rules were created and implemented.

Darts maintained its military relation during the founding and formation of the “British Empire”; soldiers use their drinking clubs and fitted dartboards extended all over the entire Empire. Citizens in different countries embraced the sport, and the British participants remained in the lead.

As the habit of throwing "spears" at targets turned into a universal pastime, the dart then became regulated; normally the barrel was a piece of cut wood trunk that has a length of four inches with feathers fixed to one end and a metal tip at the other end.

In 1898, a “folded-paper” target was patented by an American and the barrel made up of metal was patented in 1906 by an Englishman. By this time, the system of numbering on the dartboard was formulated and accepted.

The regulation of the throwing or tossing distance also happen at about the same time, however, there are many "standards" that are used. The “throwing distance” was indicated or marked by means of three crates placed from one end to anther from a certain brewery named “Hockey & Sons” that provided beer to the Southwest part of England. The beer crates were about three feet in length, thus the distance will be nine feet in length from the line to the dartboard. The “Hockey & Sons” crate size was ultimately decreased to two feet, and thus four crates are lined up as indication to mark the distance which is eight feet in length. This eight foot space or distance continued to be the standard pattern for several years.

By the 1900’s, the game of darts and its rules was established into what is recognized and accepted today. The board size, the distance of throwing and the darts size was standardized. All over the world, many people enjoyed playing the simple sport of darts so that teams were organized to play for medals and trophies and professional clubs and associations begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Kingp35 wrote: »
    He never said you HAVE to be fit to play, he said it certainly helps to be fit. To stand on a stage for three hours in front of roasting hot lights with 2,000 people screaming at you and to be constantly throwing darts and walking back and forth to the oche requires a certain level of fitness and certainly the fitter you are the easier you are going to find the long matches.

All of this is irrelevant anyway because sport is not only about fitness and many sports don't require top fitness. Golfers are not required to be super fit and that is one of the most popular sports in the world.

Most people who claim darts is not a sport and is full of fatties are just ignorant. Yes it used to be like that back in the days of Eric Bristow and John Lowe, sure they use to smoke and drink on stage. Those days are long gone and the standard of darts has improved a huge amount since the players have started focusing on mental and physical fitness. Darts is most definitely a sport but I also agree that it may not be suited to the olympics for different reasons.

And to the person who says darts is easy, I ask you to challenge any of the regulars on this forum to a game. I can guarantee you that you won't win!
    playing darts at a high level takes a lot of skill and practise i know in the 1970s i played darts for lancashire-in the season i would play 7 days a week on the sunday i would be traveling around in competitions at first with the now defunct NDAGB then with the BDO i played against all the top players of the day ;the then worlds best alan evens and his fellow welshman leyton reese,both real gentlemen i also played alot against my then friend english captain bill lenard the only one i ever managed to beat was alan evens all these player are now dead but take it from me that a lot of practise and skill is needed to play good darts

All of those games were listed on wikipedia as part of the games

Also with shooting and archery and lowering your heart rate or holding one's breath

Surely you see that what your saying is rediculous and an unfit person could as easily do shooting and archery as a fit person could

similarly an unfit person can play darts, but a fit person will be capable of going through the matches with greater concentration levels then an unfit person, that is why most of the PDC professionals now spend hours in the gym to increase their stamina for longer games

im sorry but this crap of unfit people only play darts is now a load of crap that has circled the game due to the low standards that the game had to crawl out from. Darts is quite assuredly now a sport

Firstly please tell me where i have said that all darts players are unfit. i can safely say i have posted twice in this thread and never mentioned anything on the sort

again what have i said that is ridiculous? im actually quite lost as to how you can come to such a conclusion as i didnt pass any comments relating to darts players at all.

well those sports may have once appeared in the olympics according to wikipedia but they don't these days, you also have failed to counter the arguements i made for the sports which are in them today which you felt earlier require no fitness like diving and synchronized swimming? composure would help but i tihnk the composure is more down to repetitive practice than actual fitness

For the darts players that are in the gym these days trying to improve their fitness then why is it that adrian lewis has almost doubled in size since i saw him blackpool last year and the world champs last week. He seems to not have gotten any better yet he is probably going to get a wildcard spot in the premier league?is it because he is much fitter now than he was before, id wager he sweats at least another pint or two more than he did last year and that he spends less time int he gym than i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Darts is a sport, without a doubt. I think this thread is getting a bit side-tracked thanks to our friends in the poker forum, now I like a game of poker myself but there is no physical ability needed to play poker or most card games. That's not saying there is no skill to it otherwise it would be nigh on impossible to make a living out of it as a of poker players do making a lot more money in one night then Phil Taylor or Barney will make in their entire lives.

Regarding the comment about Andy Fordham - Andy nearly died on stage, he was morbidly obese and an admitted alcoholic. He was on drugs at the time he won the world championship, admitedly a legal one but a drug none the less that he needed to play well. He's turned his life around and I think is a hell of an role model to people, I'd much rather listen to what Andy Fordham has to say rather then Phil Helmuth.

I have to say that you have to consider why the PDC wants darts in the olympics so much and you hear precious little of it on the BDO side. If it was in the Olympics then it would undoubtedly give the PDC and it's players great international exposure thus resulting in more ticket sales and tv time. It would have huge impact on the game giving it a lot of free publicity. The PDC showed during the world championships that they're not too fussy about how they get exposure so long as they're in the papers. They've been running a loss making tournament in Las Vegas for 8 years to try and break the American market, imagine what a few hours of Olympic coverage would do for darts in the US?

I'm inclined not to go along with the olympics for darts, darts however has been formally recognised as a sport in the UK. There's loads of crap in the olympics that I haven't a clue how they managed to squeeze it in there. Darts exists in it's own right like poker, they've both thrived because they're enjoyable games to play, easy to play but not easy to play well.

While the poker guys are here - I was dealt pocket aces the other night, made a moderate raise in late position, got re-raised, called, flopped a set, pushed all-in, got called and the bugger had a straight on the river. That's the poker equivelant of hiting two 180's in a leg and still getting beat.

For the darts players that are in the gym these days trying to improve their fitness then why is it that adrian lewis has almost doubled in size since i saw him blackpool last year and the world champs last week. He seems to not have gotten any better yet he is probably going to get a wildcard spot in the premier league?is it because he is much fitter now than he was before, id wager he sweats at least another pint or two more than he did last year and that he spends less time int he gym than i do.

And maybe that's why Adrian Lewis has never even come close to winning a major darts tournament. And as I said in my earlier post, the type of fitness that a dart player needs is totally different to the type of fitness as football player, a swimmer, a jockey or an Archery player needs. It's the man that can maintain his focus and hos physical throw for 3 hours of non-stop darts who will win the World Title. The man who can't maintain that level for three hours won't.

In the olympics you can only have three competitors from each country in an event so for darts you will have three english men, three dutch men and John part( maybe an aussie aswell) and no-one else would have a realistic chance of medaling and to the point that was made that it would help dats in America with the amount of events in the olympics id serioiusly doubt the American public would watch asport where they have no competitor with any chance of winning a medal

Firstly please tell me where i have said that all darts players are unfit. i can safely say i have posted twice in this thread and never mentioned anything on the sort

again what have i said that is ridiculous? im actually quite lost as to how you can come to such a conclusion as i didnt pass any comments relating to darts players at all.

well those sports may have once appeared in the olympics according to wikipedia but they don't these days, you also have failed to counter the arguements i made for the sports which are in them today which you felt earlier require no fitness like diving and synchronized swimming? composure would help but i tihnk the composure is more down to repetitive practice than actual fitness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Zct9faY5c#
    :D

Sure we all know darts players are like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement