Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Darts a Sport and Should it be at the Olympics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Jan Molby was a fat bloke who played at the top level of football, seemed to do allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm not going to bother arugueing either way for darts being a sport or not. but if you take it as it is and ask whether it should be in the olympics,

darts is a professional game, the olympics has always been about amateurs. with the exception of tennis, soccer and basketball the majority of the athletes don't compete in sports with massive prize money or for professional clubs.

like if the olympics was an entity which could allow a thousand different sports to be in cluded I'd say yes.

add golf, darts, snooker, submission wrestling, rugby etc.

but it isn't, the international olympic council wants to reduce the number of sports for administrative, logistical and practical reasons. so to phrase the question a different way. would i like to see darts included in the games at the expense of archery? no. at the expense of golf? no. why? because darts is a pro game (unlike archery) and it's not particularly athletic (unlike golf).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 joeybarton=hero

holy crap i cant believe my eyes no no no no no it is Not a sport its a game and yes it takes a lot of skill to play the game at a top level but so does any game. sport is different it involves both mental and physical finesse. for arguments sake u will never see lads in a pub playing soccer while having a few beers or boxing or rugby! but snooker darts pool are all games and are and never will be classed as a sport!! any 1 can throw a few darts and a board u dont see andy fordham look alikes running around pitches up and down the country do u!!! its a GAME and a bad 1 at that in my opinion!!!

• Advertisement

all Olympic sports are physically demanding darts should not be allowed for that reason well and the fact that im not aware of any performance enhancing drugs used in darts !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

so what is ping pong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

I'm not going to bother arugueing either way for darts being a sport or not. but if you take it as it is and ask whether it should be in the olympics,

darts is a professional game, the olympics has always been about amateurs. with the exception of tennis, soccer and basketball the majority of the athletes don't compete in sports with massive prize money or for professional clubs.

like if the olympics was an entity which could allow a thousand different sports to be in cluded I'd say yes.

but it isn't, the international olympic council wants to reduce the number of sports for administrative, logistical and practical reasons. so to phrase the question a different way. would i like to see darts included in the games at the expense of archery? no. at the expense of golf? no. why? because darts is a pro game (unlike archery) and it's not particularly athletic (unlike golf).

Lol, how many full-time pros are in the BDO?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

all Olympic sports are physically demanding darts should not be allowed for that reason well and the fact that im not aware of any performance enhancing drugs used in darts !!

Archery, now there is a physically demanding sport :D

You're right, anyone can pick up a dart and throw it at the board, doesn't mean they are going to get anywhere near what they are aiming at. Also if that's the case anyone can get a ball and kick it at a net, get a ball and run with it towards the line, get a ball and hit it with a racket or bat but it doesn't mean they are going to do what they intend to do.

Anyone can play any sport, it's if you can do it well that counts. Oh and you have obviously never played Sunday League football if you think lads dont play drunk, or there arent fat lads involved! Not all footballers are the peak of physical fitness. I know, I'm one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Alcohol, cocaine, marijuana.......different sorts of performance enhancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Archery, now there is a physically demanding sport :D

You're right, anyone can pick up a dart and throw it at the board, doesn't mean they are going to get anywhere near what they are aiming at. Also if that's the case anyone can get a ball and kick it at a net, get a ball and run with it towards the line, get a ball and hit it with a racket or bat but it doesn't mean they are going to do what they intend to do.

Anyone can play any sport, it's if you can do it well that counts. Oh and you have obviously never played Sunday League football if you think lads dont play drunk, or there arent fat lads involved! Not all footballers are the peak of physical fitness. I know, I'm one of them.

Not to mention that football the supposed king of all the sports was at times riddled with drugs, and the "professional athletes" of yesteryear were partial to lots of pint (the old arsenal squad with adams and merson?????)

so really can you paint darts with the brush alone when the beloved sport of so many was so similar

and i would guess your going to say it doesnt happen any more but sure stephen gerrard got himself into a bit of bother thanks to a few tipples and some GBH, so its still there, darts players might be able to have a pint playing
    but to be fair, Darts is played mostly in pubs. in the professional game they are only allowed have water on stage and must act with professional demeaner and have been fined and suspended these days if players dont conduct themselves in such a manner.

So darts has cleaned its image up, whilst footballers continue to hit the headlined for GBH in drink binge fueled events like Joey Barton and Gerrard.

holy crap i cant believe my eyes no no no no no it is Not a sport its a game and yes it takes a lot of skill to play the game at a top level but so does any game. sport is different it involves both mental and physical finesse. for arguments sake u will never see lads in a pub playing soccer while having a few beers or boxing or rugby! but snooker darts pool are all games and are and never will be classed as a sport!! any 1 can throw a few darts and a board u dont see andy fordham look alikes running around pitches up and down the country do u!!! its a GAME and a bad 1 at that in my opinion!!!

Why don't you just stick to the trolling at the soccer forum, with a bit of practice you could make the Olympic team. You won't be going to the grammar Olympics anyway.

The days of the Olympics being remotely amatuer died out a long time ago. Did you ever hear of professional athletics, swimming, cycling? They were all at the last Olympics and they all compete for serious prize money not to mention sponsership money which would far surpasse any money that the top darts players earn.

There may be a few first rounders that compete in the so called Olympics spirit but most people are there to make money from sponsership and raising their profile on the world stage. Which in my opinion is the exact reason why the PDC wants darts on the Olympics agenda. There is precedence for experimental sports being trialled at previous Olympics and since darts in considered a British sport and they're hosting the next Olympics it makes some sense for the PDC to promote it.

Why don't you just stick to the trolling at the soccer forum, with a bit of practice you could make the Olympic team. You won't be going to the grammar Olympics anyway.

why is grammer so important on this site if i wanted my grammer to be corrected id take a class or an exam or something...

in other words piss off u pillock!

make a point and stop wasting your time commenting on peoples grammer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Are you the Real Joey Barton!
    Looks like it!
    Abit over the top me thinks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Less of the personal abuse, it's not allowed on this forum. You're new so I'll let you off with warning this time. Attack the post not the poster

why is grammer so important on this site if i wanted my grammer to be corrected id take a class or an exam or something...

make a point and stop wasting your time commenting on peoples grammer !

I've already made several posts on this thread, why don't you read them?

Grammar(with an a ;-)) and spelling are life skills by the way, not just for this or any other site. If anyone applied to me for a job with that sort of spelling, their application would go straight to the bin. Then again if you wanted a job maybe you'd take a class or something(don't they teach spelling in primary schools any more?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is it even a sport never mind olympic regconition. Its extremely rare to find a physically fit darts player as they all carry the weight of a small car in front of them, the only excerise they get is from walking less then 8ft to a board and back....

as for olympic regconition, the olympics is played by extremely fit athletes in front of people who appreciate real sport. not clinically obese idiots in front of drunker idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

freyners wrote: »

how is it even a sport never mind olympic regconition. Its extremely rare to find a physically fit darts player as they all carry the weight of a small car in front of them, the only excerise they get is from walking less then 8ft to a board and back....

as for olympic regconition, the olympics is played by extremely fit athletes in front of people who appreciate real sport. not clinically obese idiots in front of drunker idiots.

Hey hey hey watch your tone here :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Im a darts player, im not clinically obese, i actually play football for my local team, i consider myself fit enough but im certainly not wielding a six pack.

I resent your idiotic statement of bungling all darts players as fat idiots and for a first time poster i would suggest you tone it down or you may find yourself on the recieving end of a ban for trolling.

Its proven that during a tournament most darts players walk 25km if they reach the later end of a tournament

Thats in one day

Whens the last time you walked 25km , yeah didnt think so

Nice first post there freyners, I can tell you're going to be really popular in the darts forum. If you wouldn't mind could you please stop yourself from calling all darts players and fans idiots!

Last time i checked I wasn't obese, far from it. I think you're living in the past, try watching a darts tournament or going to a darts tournament and you're opinion will quickly change.

Anyway less of the trolling.

We're talking about the 'sport', not where it is currently played. Obviously the game/players would have to be cleaned up for it to become an Olympic sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

sorry bout the idiots thing but i still stand by wat i said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sorry bout the idiots thing but i still stand by wat i said

You're standing by a post which shows you are totally ignorant and havent a clue what you're talking about, well done.

DardosCOM_klaasen.jpg
    GDNDSLAM-DY8-ANDERSON1.jpg
    I could get more pictures of more players but im too lazy!
    They are not Obese

Actually I'm bored at the moment so here are more players;

90029.jpg

PDC_Trophy.jpg

PDC%20World%20Championships%202008019.JPG

I can go on and on but not all darts players are obese!
    If a rating of your post could be done with a rating of between 1 and 10, I would give it -1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Wasn't it physically fit, world-class footballer John Terry who said that if he wasn't a footballer his legitimate goal would be to be a darts player?

Yeah, it's all for the lardos who can't compete in real sports...

leggo wrote: »
    Wasn't it physically fit, world-class footballer John Terry who said that if he wasn't a footballer his legitimate goal would be to be a darts player?

Yeah, it's all for the lardos who can't compete in real sports...

I think the problem is that darts obviously has an image problem, but it doesn't take away from the skills needed to be at the top of your game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Of course darts is a sport and it should be in the olympics, think of it as a mini javelin event.

Advertisement