Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine question

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:55pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi ,

After just over 6 years driving I have managed to done for speeding twice in the space of a month (57 in a 50 gatso) (96 in a 80 guard).

The first was back in September , got the letter through the door on 20/09/08 was dated 18/09/08.

I put the ticket aside for the next time i was in the post office , any way got caught again on the october , letter came in to the house on 6th of november dated the 4th november .

At this stage i realised i had not gone into pay the first fine , so i filled in the the two fines and slipped them into the envelope provided and sent them off ! ( Took photocopies of each before i sent )

Got back into work on Monday and was going through the bank account
    to see what how it was looking after the xmas new year and could not find any payments out of my account to the Guards.

So i rang up the number for the enquires that was on the fine and gave my reference and explained the situation to the lady, she told me there was noting that could be done and that i would be sent a summons to attend court .

Will sense prevail and they will take the money for the fines and give me my 4 points(2 for each offense) , or will i be hit with 8 points and a larger fine ? After all I was not disputing the fines or points just didn't have the time to call into the post office so sent them by post .

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

;)
    Hi ,

After just over 6 years driving I have managed to done for speeding twice in the space of a month (57 in a 50 gatso) (96 in a 80 guard).

The first was back in September , got the letter through the door on 20/09/08 was dated 18/09/08.

I put the ticket aside for the next time i was in the post office , any way got caught again on the october , letter came in to the house on 6th of november dated the 4th november .

At this stage i realised i had not gone into pay the first fine , so i filled in the the two fines and slipped them into the envelope provided and sent them off ! ( Took photocopies of each before i sent )

Got back into work on Monday and was going through the bank account
    to see what how it was looking after the xmas new year and could not find any payments out of my account to the Guards.

So i rang up the number for the enquires that was on the fine and gave my reference and explained the situation to the lady, she told me there was noting that could be done and that i would be sent a summons to attend court .

Will sense prevail and they will take the money for the fines and give me my 4 points(2 for each offense) , or will i be hit with 8 points and a larger fine ? After all I was not disputing the fines or points just didn't have the time to call into the post office so sent them by post .

Cheers for any help

You have 56 days (8 weeks) to pay before you get summonsed!!!
    Maybe I'm wrong but i've worked out your timeline as 7 weeks??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I sent them both off in the post on the 6th November so i think that leaves it within the 56 days, it would leave it at 49 days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

I sent them both off in the post on the 6th November so i think that leaves it within the 56 days, it would leave it at 49 days .

They'll count the date they recieve the payment, not when you sent it. Also, I presume you paid the increased fine for the first offence since it was after 28 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

felim wrote: »
    They'll count the date they recieve the payment, not when you sent it. Also, I presume you paid the increased fine for the first offence since it was after 28 days.

I did increase the payment , the problem is they (Guards office in Tipp) have not received the documents , and have said that i will just have to go to court

hate bumping a post , but a bit worried now ,as I might have to go and get a good solicitor to fight this .

• Advertisement
Advertisement