Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Christmas' Activities

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys got up to over the Christmas with your horses? Did you manage to get to any competitions, rides, Charity/Christmas runs, hunting, etc?

I only managed to get 3 days hunting, and the rest of the time I spend schooling at home or, as the frost got more severe, going for (cold!!!) hacks around the roads! :rolleyes: Our arena, which is woodchip, and pretty well sheltered, is frozen over and was too dangerous to ride in, even when harrowed with a harrow with teeth about 6" long!!! The fields are just a no-go zone at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was sick for the first few days off, but then I was out riding for seven out of 8 days. I really enjoyed it. The weather was beautiful this Christmas and my mare really responded well to the extra work.

Back to just weekends now :( Not that the arena is usable these days anyway (although it holds up pretty well for normal frosts). Really looking forward to the longer days now as I dont think I'll get in any hunting this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

fits wrote: »
    I was sick for the first few days off, but then I was out riding for seven out of 8 days. I really enjoyed it. The weather was beautiful this Christmas and my mare really responded well to the extra work.

Back to just weekends now :( Not that the arena is usable these days anyway (although it holds up pretty well for normal frosts). Really looking forward to the longer days now as I dont think I'll get in any hunting this year.
    Riding club lessons, schooling, hacking, too frozen for much else around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Brought my jumper in from grass on the 22nd Dec, lunged him for 2 days, clipped him the 26th and have ridden him everyday since - just in from riding him now actually. He's buzzing, acting like a 2 year old, mad to go, my body is aching the past few days from him!!! Sending off his registration at the weekend so prob by mid feb will be heading to our 1st show of the new year:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

dont ride myself but on st. stevos day went up to watch the ward ride out and tried to follow a bit by car but the stag went the opposite direction to where i was. then i went to watch the fingals ride out and followed them for a bit by car and saw some hunting. im omly interested in the hounds but it was great to see a good few kids out hunting on horses. fair play to them. when most of the play-station generation were at home stuffing their faces they were out jumping ditches on their ponies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Hunted on the 26th and 1st Jan. Also Tuesday although the ground was hard in places because of the frost. Its great to see the land so dry, horses are clean coming back after the days hunting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement