Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric shock

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Every time i get out of the car after after a drive, and i put my hand on the door to close it, i get lifted out of it with an electric shock, what is causing this or more important how do i stop this from happening.
    Be grateful to get this sorted.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

It's static electricity built up in your body. AFAIK there is very little can be done. I get this sometimes to and its a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Seat covers can help.

Sometimes it also makes a difference what shoes/clothes you're wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Place your hand on the metal sill of the car as you're getting out and leave it there until your foot is on the ground. This way you discharge the static without it jumping from your hand on to the door.

Works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

When you open the door (plastic door handle so thats why it doesnt shock you) touch the metal part of the door with your elbow or with a clinched fist and use your knuckles. It doesnt hurt as much when its against a bone rather than a fleshy part of skin, like your open hand as your open the door out fully to get out.

Static strips are also available to bolt onto the back of your car and are suppose to reduce static in your car, mostly to help people who get car sick but may also help with your problem too.

It is a bit unusual this happening this time of year though, i always associated it with long hot summer days, cant remember the last static shock i got from a car door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

HJL wrote: »
    Static strips are also available to bolt onto the back of your car and are suppose to reduce static in your car, mostly to help people who get car sick but may also help with your problem too.

I remember someone testing those, and finding that they don't conduct electricity to any great extent, the tyres are far more effective. I believe that they are not even allowed advertise then as earth straps or electrical thingies anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i always found nissans the worst for getting shocks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do those static strips work? you don't see many cars with them though.

These things:
    Anti-static%20Strips.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

peasant wrote: »
    Seat covers can help.

Sometimes it also makes a difference what shoes/clothes you're wearing

Shoes are a big thing. I found anytime I'm wearing business shoes (for want of a better word, shoes you'd wear if your going to court!), I get the arse blown off me no matter what car I'm getting out of! But if I'm wearing runners, I'm grand. Try wearing runners while driving or experiment around with shoes/runners until you get rid of it.

Also, what is happening is that you car is effectively charged up with negatively charged electrons, after you have driven. Try waiting for a minute in the car before getting out as the charge on the car is decaying immediately after a journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Place your hand on the metal sill of the car as you're getting out and leave it there until your foot is on the ground. This way you discharge the static without it jumping from your hand on to the door.

Works for me anyway.
    This works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Careful when you filling the car with petrol! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9LvmPlJ98

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I always tap the rear door with the knuckles of my right hand as I step out of the car - it's less painful there than on the pads of the fingers - less nerve endings or something like that. I used to get blasted out of it all the time - I've even seen sparks :eek: But ever since I read/was told about the back of the hand it's a lot, lot less painful when it does happen.

I found that placing a hand on the sill panel didn't work - it did stop the shock as I got out of the car but the next metal object I touched got me instead. I tend to get it more in the summer for some reason irrespective of what clothes/footwear I have on. I must try it bare feet as an experiment :D

Hal1 wrote: »
    Do those static strips work? you don't see many cars with them though.

If you look closely, you will find that you already have four rubber pieces connecting your car to the road:D. Adding a fifth one won't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you look closely, you will find that you already have four rubber pieces connecting your car to the road:D. Adding a fifth one won't change anything.

Maybe I'm wrong but I though those earth straps had metal running through the centre which connected to ground - until they wore away after a couple of kilometers!

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong but I though those earth straps had metal running through the centre which connected to ground - until they wore away after a couple of kilometers!

I doubt that, otherwise you'd see sparks flying.
    Tyres aren't exactly all rubber either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Careful when you filling the car with petrol! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs9LvmPlJ98
    Sure while were at it I might ad this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I doubt that, otherwise you'd see sparks flying.
    Tyres aren't exactly all rubber either
    Them strip things will provide a better earth than four tyres.
    If they wear out just cut the back exhaust hanger:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

Leather seats :D
    Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

HJL wrote: »

It is a bit unusual this happening this time of year though, i always associated it with long hot summer days, cant remember the last static shock i got from a car door!

How does it stop ya being car sick?
    Zube wrote: »
    I remember someone testing those, and finding that they don't conduct electricity to any great extent, the tyres are far more effective. I believe that they are not even allowed advertise then as earth straps or electrical thingies anymore.

How can tyres (Rubber, an insulator) possibly conduct and earth your car from static electricity? Thats a common error made by people.

Other thing;Static electricity only builds in one spot or area on a car so those strips are useless unless the charge builds up onto a part that is touching the strip directly. In other words parts of the car panel may not be charged while a few mm away is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Close the door with your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ninty9er wrote: »

If your into that sorta thing.. lol
    mind ya dont fart simultaneously.. It might blow ya up! :D

i'll be good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Zube wrote: »
    the tyres are far more effective.

There you have it OP. Just get some tyres and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Right. Im going to give all those ideas a go, but im surprised you left one out,
    drive in the nude, should raise an eyebrow or two.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got this from an old car, could have been the cloth on the seat or something that built static up as I swivelled to put my feet out. I started then to put my left hand on the top of the door until I was standing. This neutralised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

congo_90 wrote: »
    How does it stop ya being car sick?

Not sure exactly, i guess the build up of static electricty must be a causing factor of motion sickness and if they are meant to reduce the static they lessen the chance of getting car sick.

My parents had one on their car once when we were younger as my sister used to get sick on long journeys. I believe it did work to a certain extent as she stopped being sick as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

This one, FTW.

Static builds up as the car moves through the air*, but usually the air in Ireland is damp (high humidity), so it doesn't get a chance to build up (leaks away in the damp air). However, the last few weeks in Ireland have been dry and humidity has been low on some days, hence the shocks the OP has been getting.

*It's a problem with aircraft too

PS: In this kind of weather, watch out for static at the filling station - here's the site of that YouTube video (with proper explanation of the static issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

ninty9er wrote: »

This is the method I use but the static build up is still looking for a way to earth so when I put the key in the front door there are plenty sparks and sizzling great sight when its dark. My son is well impressed :D

Only happens to me during the summer though and its happened with every car I've had.

Advertisement