Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informative book on Monto?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:59pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good book on Monto? I'm looking more for reading material than a photo album. Pics are good too but mostly I'm looking for historical accuracy and good anecdotes.
    Time for a bit of genealogical investigation. I'll be donning the deer-stalker cap, magnifying glass and Groucho marx costume for a few weeks but need a good map of history to help guide me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you can get your hands on it, the North Inner City Folklore Project's "Monto - Madams, Murder and Black Coddle" is a good read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dublin Pub Life And lore an Oral History..by Kevin kearns.

It doesnt have a great deal about monto as such but it contains a lot of information about Dublin pubs including interviews with publicans,barmen and customers.A very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Degsy wrote: »
    Dublin Pub Life And lore an Oral History..by Kevin kearns.

It doesnt have a great deal about monto as such but it contains a lot of information about Dublin pubs including interviews with publicans,barmen and customers.A very good read.
    His other book 'Dublin Tenament Life' does it as well as far as I remember.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cheers for the suggestions. Really am looking for Monto specifically at moment Degsy but I'll keep that book in mind for my next adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Both books are a great read anyway regardless of whether they cover Monto in enough detail. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement