Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The jobs market for programmers/developers

Options
  • 07-01-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hope the mods won't mind if I post here as opposed to Work & Jobs, I think my query might be more specific to this forum as it concerns a career in software development.

It looks like I'll be made redundant pretty soon so I'm wondering what people's views are regarding employment prospects for developers at the moment? What the jobs market be like in 6-12 months time? I have 2 years experience in C++/Objective C development in a small company and I'm willing to travel anywhere for the right job, Ireland or abroad. In fact I would be very interested in working abroad so I might use this as an opportunity to do that.

Basically I'm wondering if I can afford to take time off and blow some money on a short break from working life or if I should be prepared for a long and difficult wait to find employment...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

if your certain you will be made redundant then dont wait for it to happen. ok you mite get redundancy pay if you wait till the end but your wasting job hunting time. job market is openish, entry level positions will be tough to find but with decent experience you shouldnt have to much trouble getting a job. id get your cv together and start looking. if you want to move abroad it will take time to process and organise so a jump start on it mite help. how long can you afford to live without a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

seems to be a bit of contract work floating around all right if your willing to travel anywhere in the world i wouldn't be worrying too much there will be work _somewhere_

whats going to happen in 12 months? f*ck knows

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Redundancy is certain and imminent and I'll get a small statutory redundancy payment. I could live for maybe 6 months without a job, if I cut back my living expenses significantly, but obviously I'd prefer not to do that.

I've already started applying for jobs, I'm just wondering whether I can expect a job to come along quickly or whether I should be putting the money aside in order to survive for a longer period. I suppose no-one can answer that really. I'm just wondering what the IT jobs climate is like. I'd be interested to hear from someone who's been in a similar situation recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

My colleague is on the look out right now (for a few months actually), he has lots of experience, but is finding that there isn't a whole lot out there at all. Having said that he is limited to where he can move to, and probably to a higher salary.

There seems to be a lot of speculative positions out there, the recruitment agencies put them out there and when they get some CV's in they ring around different companies asking them do they need X type of person. Being in the software industry, we get lots of phone calls like this and we're not looking for anyone right now.

Be careful with the agencies and try to find out somehow that it is a real job and not just adding to their list of CV's. They will tell you anything just to get you to an interview too!

My opinion would be to put some money by in case that you are looking longer than 6 months, at least that way if you get a job sooner you will have a bit extra cash saved anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The agencies are a shower of twats, the amount of "non jobs" out there is gas, I have been looking West of the Shannon for about 2 or 3 months and have found only 1 "real job", the rest are just pooling Cv's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 canadiantz

Hello,

We are looking for a programmer and web design guy for a new business development here in Ireland.

Basically, We have a business plan that has the potential to change the retail industry in ireland, and we're looking for someone with the skills to develop an auction site, and the know how to create a system that can send information from the purchaser to the retail outlet, please get in contact.

If you are an entrapeneur at heart, and have the skills necessary to complete these tasks, and will be able to lead a team of IT professionals, please get in contact with me ASAP.

Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

canadiantz wrote: »
    Basically, We have a business plan that has the potential to change the retail industry in ireland
    A business plan. Not an actual business. How many pages long is your business plan?
    If you are an entrapeneur at heart
    Entrepreneur. What you're looking for is someone who will work for free or peanuts. I assume you're putting equity on the table for this?

A business plan. Not an actual business. How many pages long is your business plan?

Entrepreneur. What you're looking for is someone who will work for free or peanuts. I assume you're putting equity on the table for this?

Well, every business has to start with a plan. Secondly, we are looking for someone who is willing to discuss the business plan, find out if they would be interested in joining as a business partner. We are not looking to take advantage of anyone! and thirdly, anyone who could be prompted to work for peanuts or free would not be an ideal candidate for a start up venture.Lastly, we have an investor who is willing to foot the bill for a prototype of the design. I just need to find an interested partner with the necessary skills for the position, As I do not have the IT skills (nor do I pretend to) to make the business a success, I am trained in sales and marketing, which would be my position in the company, and I will leave legal issues to legal professionals, and accounting issues with accountants. The programming is just a piece of the puzzle. The Idea is what is going to make the business a success.ps. It really isn't any of your business how many pages are in our business plan, and frankly, I find the question to be a bit juvenile.Regards,

It really isn't any of your business how many pages are in our business plan, and frankly, I find the question to be a bit juvenile.
    Not really. I've been in this business quite a few years and I've lost count of how many business ventures that "would revolutionize [INSERT WHATEVER] industry" have been touted at me or in my earshot. Most of them are little more than pub talk and don't go anywhere.

How many pages are in your business plan are at this early stage an indication of how advanced or serious you are, as this is one sign of how much effort you have already invested.

So anyone serious who would take time out to speak with you would be as well off to first try to gauge whether you are a serious venture or not.

Not really. I've been in this business quite a few years and I've lost count of how many business ventures that "would revolutionize [INSERT WHATEVER] industry" have been touted at me or in my earshot. Most of them are little more than pub talk and don't go anywhere.

How many pages are in your business plan are at this early stage an indication of how advanced or serious you are, as this is one sign of how much effort you have already invested.

So anyone serious who would take time out to speak with you would be as well off to first try to gauge whether you are a serious venture or not.

Now, we are getting somewhere. Myself and a serious investor; (not this Dragon's Den garbage) are looking to take a full time approach to this project. The Short version as per investors is 10 pages in length, and obviously will increase dramatically when the IT side of the project is underway. I plan to give up my "day job" as a financial advisor once the project is underway, and as far as revolutionize, it is no pub talk, or exaggeration. ]This project can take off, can[/B] change the way Ireland shops, and can spread globally in years to come. The project is timed perfectly for recessionary times, will deal with cross boarder shopping, and stop retail jobs in Ireland moving to the north Initial capital in any new business, as I'm sure you are aware of, is hard to come by. All good things come with time, effort, and passion. I am not offering the world, or stating that I’m going to make anyone an instant success, just offering an opportunity to take a chance and try their hand at a once in a lifetime opportunity. As the way I see things, every opportunity is a once in a life time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Corinthian, you are right that nobody can gauge how realistic his venture is until they have spoken with him and seen his plan, but it also means that you are not in a position to dismiss it. Its not exactly unusual for a person with tech skills to enter into a partnership with a business/marketing-oriented person as long as everything is out in the open.

canadiantz, I got your PM but sorry, web development isn't my area of expertise so I don't think I'd be of any use to you.

The Short version as per investors is 10 pages in length, and obviously will increase dramatically when the IT side of the project is underway.
    Have you looked at getting a feasibility study grant for this?
    cornbb wrote: »
    The Corinthian, you are right that nobody can gauge how realistic his venture is until they have spoken with him and seen his plan, but it also means that you are not in a position to dismiss it.
    I'm not dismissing it at all, but ventures looking for IT partners happen here and elsewhere all the time. Sometimes those ventures are serious and the principles are genuinely committed to their idea, other times it's just some kid with an idea and a one-page 'business plan'.

The former is worth hearing out and could well be, as canadiantz suggested, the opportunity of a lifetime, the latter is better identified quickly before you waste your time meeting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If I had a fiver for all the wonderful new ventures. I've done more than my fair share of Entrepreneuring too.

*sigh*

You need, in order of priority:
    :: Good chance / right place /right time / right contacts
    :: Lotza Money. You won't generally make any the first year
    :: Excellent management
    :: Good Record keeping etc
    :: Work very hard
    :: Skills & talent
    :: Good Idea

Notice the two most people put 1st I put as least important for a successful
    start up. They ARE very important but the others are more so. Bill Gates didn't even have the last two. His friend re-wrote Dartmouth College Basic as MS Basic for the 8 bit CP/M. He had family money, and was just in the right place at the right time. I was in the wrong place at the same time (BBC Communications Dept).

Advertisement