Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards logs you off very quick, doesnt it?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

just wondering why the rush to kick people off? sometimes i need to copy and paste my post just in case the site has already logged me off when i press send. any chance of making it a little longer?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It never logs me off.
    Perhaps it's a problem at your end?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No issues for me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, this has been happening to a lot of people lately, including me. At least one other Feedback thread was started about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apparently you never get logged off if you are a Subscriber.

*walks away whistling*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you click 'remember me' when you are logging in it shouldnt happen

• Advertisement

I have "Remember me?" ticked on my laptop - hasn't made a difference. I use Internet Explorer and I clear my cookies.

(I just about know what all the above means :D but those have been advised in previous threads regarding the same thing).

It was happening me moreso up to a few weeks ago though, not as much lately.

Edit: here's the other Feedback thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411804
    Sorry, I thought there was more than one, whereas this one was actually resurrected after dying for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clearing your cookies will log you off boards. :)

If you tick "remember me" from this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/, it is very rare that you'll be randomly logged off. Like once every two years for me that this has happened.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i only get logged out if i am at a different computer where i dont want to use the remember button

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

seamus wrote: »
    Clearing your cookies will log you off boards. :)

If you tick "remember me" from this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/, it is very rare that you'll be randomly logged off. Like once every two years for me that this has happened.

So is there no other way of avoiding it? This happens to me all the time (it's happening as we speak) but since I'm on my work computer, remember me is not an option... is there a way to stop your browser clearing your cookies?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yup in tools > options or tools > internet options depending on your browser you can mess with settings all day long. I never get logged off.
    Well except after ctrl + shift + deleting.
    In other news, does anyone know how to remove palm hair?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In other news, does anyone know how to remove palm hair?
    Yours or someone elses? :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

shellyboo wrote: »
    So is there no other way of avoiding it? This happens to me all the time (it's happening as we speak) but since I'm on my work computer, remember me is not an option... is there a way to stop your browser clearing your cookies?

Why is remember me not an option? When you press the log out button it won't remember you any more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Dudess wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought there was more than one, whereas this one was actually resurrected after dying for a while.

There was but they got merged I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the question remains, why the early kicking? any other forum ive been on isnt so keen to log you off so soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    the question remains, why the early kicking? any other forum ive been on isnt so keen to log you off so soon.
    The thing is you seem to be in the minority so there is something somewhere not going right. For example, I can't remember the last time boards has logged me off, whereas you seem to have lost count at the amount of times it's logged you off today. I don't think this is meant to be happening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This used to happen me using the computer's in college.
    Never had the problem on my laptop

The thing is you seem to be in the minority so there is something somewhere not going right.
    A fairly considerable minority though, AC - check the other thread (linked to in my last post here).

OP, I doubt it's because Boards wants to "kick" people off... probably just an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Up to about 8 months ago I could close all the browser windows and come back a couple of hours later and open a browser again I was still logged in. But that all changed. In the last few days I have found that I am being logged when I have multiple widows opened. I might be posting using one window and when i click another to use it I am gone.

The other problem I find is that as soon as I log into adverts.ie I am auto logged off boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What browser is this happening on, eg; IE6/7, Firefox, Opera, etc

What version of Windows are you using?

What browser is this happening on, eg; IE6/7, Firefox, Opera, etc

What version of Windows are you using?
    Firefox 3.0.5 and using Windows XP.

I recall a ff update being installed and it was around or some time after that the problems started. Cant say for sure if it was the update though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I notice i get logged out after about 13 mins of non posting / viewing so I suppose I should click remember me .

muffler wrote: »
    Firefox 3.0.5 and using Windows XP.

I recall a ff update being installed and it was around or some time after that the problems started. Cant say for sure if it was the update though.

I have the same setup here and no problems. Maybe try re-installing firefox.
    A fairly considerable minority though, AC - check the other thread (linked to in my last post here).

I know I remember reading that thread. I'm just pointing out that this isn't the default behaviour and there must be something weird going on somewhere.

Do any of you notice this type of behaviour on other sites? Where you log in and it constantly logs you out despite using the remember me box.

Why is remember me not an option? When you press the log out button it won't remember you any more.

I'd rather not take the risk of forgetting to log out, frankly. Same reason I don't have my gmail remember me on this computer, really!

Anyhoo, I found the cookie-clearing settings and have fiddled about with it, hopefully that will work! Using remember me on my laptop and home and on my iPod Touch.

shellyboo wrote: »
    I'd rather not take the risk of forgetting to log out, frankly. Same reason I don't have my gmail remember me on this computer, really!

Ah, yeah. That makes sense. I didn't think of that.

Ah, yeah. That makes sense. I didn't think of that.

Yup, I am a bold employee. Shouldn't be moaning that a site I should not be looking at keeps logging me out, really! Anyway, hopefully the cookie thing shall work. Thanks AC!

I have the same setup here and no problems. Maybe try re-installing firefox.
    Are there any issues in doing this such as loosing bookmarks etc and is it just a simple un/reinstall?
    Do any of you notice this type of behaviour on other sites? Where you log in and it constantly logs you out despite using the remember me box.
    No. Haven't noticed it happening anywhere else.

muffler wrote: »
    Are there any issues in doing this such as loosing bookmarks etc and is it just a simple un/reinstall?

When you un-install I think it keeps all your bookmarks. I can't be sure though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Try this... same thing happened to me after the last FF upgrade.

on any boards.ie page, right click --> view page info

click security then cookies, this will list all boards cookies.

Select all the cookies and delete them.

Click permissions.
    Make sure 'set cookies' option is set to allow.

Close the settings window. Close the boards tab and open a new one, you should be prompted to log in, do so and turn on the 'remember me' checkbox.

It should now work.

Really bad at the moment - I'm getting logged out every few seconds.

And certain actions cause automatic logging out too - e.g. attempting to thank people; trying to edit posts.

• Advertisement

Really bad at the moment - I'm getting logged out every few seconds.

And certain actions cause automatic logging out too - e.g. attempting to thank people; trying to edit posts.

Every few seconds? :eek: That must be a major pain in the ass. Have you tried switching browser? Try opera and see if you are having the same problem.

Advertisement