Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 door cars

Options
  • 07-01-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Is this just an Irish obsession?

Seems 90% if small & medium size cars are 5 doors. is there is a glut of 5 door Micras & Fiestas in other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

McSpud wrote: »
    Is this just an Irish obsession?

Seems 90% if small & medium size cars are 5 doors. is there is a glut of 5 door Micras & Fiestas in other countries?

Well its because they are practical

Irish people are a far cry away from buying cars that look good or are for recreational purposes (3 doors) There are a few coupes etc out there but not LOADS!

Perhaps in time this will change. But it is doubtful as Ireland is not really a "Car" country. (I mean that in the sense that we love cars rather than we need them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

maybe for 90% of people 5 door cars are easier to live with? Easy to get child seats in the back? I'm single and i have always driven a 5 door (even though my leon now only comes in 5 door anyway but has the hidden handle:D). just easier in day to day life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

UK is the same. I had a saloon Vectra before my current hatch and personally would never buy a saloon again. You can never get anything in the boot. You would never see a saloon Vectra in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If anything, Ireland has a disproportionately high number of 4 door saloons compared to our neighbours in the UK, we get 4 door saloon models that they don't even bother to sell in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If anything, Ireland has a disproportionately high number of 4 door saloons compared to our neighbours in the UK,

Yes, but the OP seems to think we buy 5 door tiny hatches where other nations would buy 3 door hatches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

true. we get loads that the UK dont. New Astra, Corolla Saloon, the beauty that is the magnificent Nissan Tiida...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Zube wrote: »
    Yes, but the OP seems to think we buy 5 door tiny hatches where other nations would buy 3 door hatches.

Yes. That was the query.

Possibly less of an issue for Focus/Golf class but also true for them I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Zube wrote: »

Even with supermini sized cars we get 4 door saloons that the UK don't bother with, for example the hyundai accent, chevrolet aveo, kia rio, suzuki SX4. To be honest, I think the difference comes from the fact that due to our punative taxation regime, and obsession with number plates (or the first two digits on the number plate), these cars tend to function as family cars here (often the only family car) where in other countries they are runabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

McSpud wrote: »
    Yes. That was the query.

Possibly less of an issue for Focus/Golf class but also true for them I feel.
    I don't really understand your problem / question TBH. 5 doors are more practical than 3, or are you under the impression that 3 doors looks better than 5 for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Alun wrote: »
    I don't really understand your problem / question TBH. 5 doors are more practical than 3, or are you under the impression that 3 doors looks better than 5 for some reason?

I am looking for replacement in Golf/Focus class & don't have need for 4-5 doors so would favour 3 doors. I do think 3 doors looks better though.

I think the comment above about super minis is most likely the reason - tax means smaller cars than other countries, cars used for different purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

When i was buying my car, i would of loved a three door, although they were harder to find, and there was always more wear and tear from people getting in and out. So eventually i said i'd go for thr 5 door, easier, more practical and for what i got should be easier sell on.

And now, as a kick in the arse, my central locking is messed up and the two back doors are jammed shut lol.

Three cars a for countries where people don't conform, and buy cars out of the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I never even considered a 3 door when I've been buying. Have no interest in even haveing to get ouyt of my seat once to let someone into the back, never mind havign to climb in past the front seats to do anything in the back. Much prefer havign full and easy access to the back , especially for thing slike cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Stekelly wrote: »
    I never even considered a 3 door when I've been buying. Have no interest in even haveing to get ouyt of my seat once to let someone into the back, never mind havign to climb in past the front seats to do anything in the back. Much prefer havign full and easy access to the back , especially for thing slike cleaning.

My first car was a 3 door 205, the wife's a 3 door Renault 5, then she had a 3 door Clio.

Didn't get a 5 door until the first nipper arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

3 door cars are more sexy no doubt about, and imo a better ride with less rattles/noise

they're fine if your single but a big no no if you got a family or doing car-share

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a 5-door Civic. It has the alfa-style stealth handles on the back doors :) I had a 3 door car before it but despite having no kids or any of that I find myself with back seat passengers quite a lot so I went for a 5-door in the Civic instead of the marginally sexier 3-door Type S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

EPM wrote: »
    true. we get loads that the UK dont. New Astra, Corolla Saloon, the beauty that is the magnificent Nissan Tiida...
    Yep. I've got the new Civic saloon and thats not available in the UK - except the Hybrid version.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Stephen wrote: »
    I have a 5-door Civic. It has the alfa-style stealth handles on the back doors :) I had a 3 door car before it but despite having no kids or any of that I find myself with back seat passengers quite a lot so I went for a 5-door in the Civic instead of the marginally sexier 3-door Type S.

Same here although the first time i gave my parents a lift in it (and had told them it was a 5 door) they still waited at the passenger side for me to lift the seat for them to get in :)

Advertisement