Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New comer to fish world need ideas

• 07-01-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Can you help?

Want some nice recipes for fish dishes, healthy options please

Grilled etc

What herbs work best wit fish ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Dill, Fennel Seeds, saffron and Bay would be the obvious herb choices.

Dill would usually be paired with Herrings or salmon,
    Saffron in creamy sauces.

I use bay leaves under fish when I barbecue them

and Fennel seeds give a liquorice/aniseed flavor ad get namechecked in recipes.

Grilled salmon/seatrout/ mackerel/trout/herrings are all good,
    whole fish in a tinfoil parcel is healthy,

dusted in flour and shallow fried is good for most white fish fillets- not especially unhealthy if you use a non-stick pan - you'ld use less butter than that for 2 slices of bread.

most fish caught at sea are wild animals - probably much more healthy than any poultry/pork/intensively farmed beef, even if deep fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Gambas Pil-Pil (Sizzling Prawns)
    Roast and serve this dish in individual terracotta dishes
    Ingredients
    • Half a cup good quality olive oil
    • 4 garlic cloves very thinly sliced
    • 1 small fresh red chili seeded and chopped
    • About half pound of raw Prawns, peeled and salted
    • 2 Tbl of chopped fresh parsley lemon wedges
    • Bread to serve
    Preparation
    • In a hot oven with a live flame, heat the olive oil in each individual terracotta dish.
    • Add garlic and chili and cook for 1 to 2 minutes making sure that they do not burn.
    • Add the salt and prawns and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes at a brisk pace.
    • Stir in the parsley.
    • Serve quickly so that the prawns are still sizzling in the cooking juices and accompany with bread and lemon wedges.
    This is my favourite fish dish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

most fish caught at sea are wild animals - probably much more healthy than any poultry/pork/intensively farmed beef, even if deep fried.

I think you could say ALL fish caught at sea are wild.
    This makes fish very undervalued as wild anything is expensive:)

back to the topic

I like lemon and lemon pepper as ingredients, also when steaming fish asian stylee use finely chopped spring onions, ginger, asian mushrooms and pale soya sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I had Coley for the first time recently. Very similar to haddock.

I just laid it on some foil
    Seasoned it with salt and pepper (I would leave out the salt if doing it again though. I didn't realise Coley was salty on it's own).
    A sprig of thyme and a couple of halved cherry tomatoes with a few knobs of butter on top of the fish.
    Wrapped the foil around it and put it into 190c oven for 20 mins.

Was lovely (if a little too salty).

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I had Coley for the first time recently. Very similar to haddock.

I just laid it on some foil
    Seasoned it with salt and pepper (I would leave out the salt if doing it again though. I didn't realise Coley was salty on it's own).
    A sprig of thyme and a couple of halved cherry tomatoes with a few knobs of butter on top of the fish.
    Wrapped the foil around it and put it into 190c oven for 20 mins.

Was lovely (if a little too salty).
    Was it smoked Coley that you had or Fresh?
    All smoked fish has been salted, it has to be otherwise it won't smoke properly.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Was it smoked Coley that you had or Fresh?
    All smoked fish has been salted, it has to be otherwise it won't smoke properly.

It was the smokey Coley. I just wasn't thinking and fired on the salt. I'm a big fan of salt anyways so I wasn't too bothered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

lemon grass lime leave's ginger,lemon& lime juice. rinde coriander, chive's, osyter sauce. / chillie if you like a bit of spice...

blend till its a mulchy lookin roughage..

Then take one machrill with its head, fill where its guts where with the above mixture bit of see salt black peaper top side down side of the fish downinto a some tin foil wrap tightly, cook at 200 in a preheated oven for 15 minites there or there about,s boile some babys, some proper butter couple of peaces of aspargus job done...

you can take any fish you want with any of the ingredent's and it useually works.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I make what I consider a really nice and healthy fish and chips.

Sea bream, filleted and put into tin foil. A whole fish will have 2 small fillets so what I do is I place a small amount of olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary onto one fillet and cover with the other fillet. Cook for 20-25 minutes in oven @ 200 degrees.

For the chips, I cut potatoes into large chunks and par boil. Then I use 1 tablespoon of olive oil, paprika, salt and black pepper and coat the chips in this. Cook in oven at 2000 degrees.

Absolutely yum and trust me, rosemary works really well with this fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I like to keep it simple- oven bake a fish fillet like lemon sole or sea trout covered with thinly sliced lemons (gives lot of flavor and keeps the fish moist). They only need to be in the oven for a max of 20 mins so it's quick to do as well as easy. You could also try just laying the fillets on the baking tray and covering them in breadcrumbs and a squeeze of lemon, bake for 20 mins. The breadcrumbs stay light, keep the fish moist and add a bit of crunch to contrast with the softness of the fish.

I'm not a big fan of sauces with fish (I like the flavor as is!) but one to try could be a creamy pesto sauce- just heat up some creme fraiche or double cream in a sauce pan and mix in some pesto and serve with your cooked fish. I think it works well with salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It was the smokey Coley. I just wasn't thinking and fired on the salt. I'm a big fan of salt anyways so I wasn't too bothered!

The Smoked coley is great, and half the price of cod etc....

I bake it in the oven just on the baking tray.. and serve with homemade Rosemary & black pepper oven chips... and with roasted courgettes, peppers & Aubergine..

• Advertisement

FISH PIE....

fish that you need is

cod
    a small tail of monk
    hadock
    salmon fillit...
    smoked fish of some sort.. all skined i shandy but its easy to skin a fish when its been boiled... so it's not essentiol...
    4 spuds flowereys ones not the waxy one's
    1 onion/ shalot's
    1 stick of celery
    1 carrot
    parsley
    white wine
    cream
    a deep frying pan and a its lid
    porclin baking tray .
    butter and some flour....

So fill the deep frying pan whit water wine and some salt not alot
    I dont go bye mesurements i follow the great keith floyd....:cool:
    so you get that boiling filit the monk fish tail but you need the bone as that's your stock for the sauce.. so bassicly you stick the tail in a boil the water along with thre choped up oion and carrot place in all the fillits into frying pan untill cooked shouldnt take any longer then 15 minits.. it doesnt matter if you over cook the fish because your retaining the flvour il get to that in a bit...

now so all your fish is cooked dont throw away the water as thats your stock very import....

flake up all the fish you may have to chop up all the monk fish tails...

take the siv and a the pot sive the huice getting rid of the oinion and the other stuff so itle be a merky looking water boil the sh!t out of it right down under half....
    shop parseley loads :)

take a small pan melt some butter and add flower till you make a doey looking flower butter playdoh consistoncy...
    at which point wait till the stock halfs take your playdow add a pinch in at a time till it become's i nice thickness like a runny custard but add bit in ata time and wisk figuralsy it will break down....

so your stocks turning into a sauce next add the cream drop the heat right down and just not even simmer for under 5 minites... add parcley

Hopefully uve cooked the spuds at this stage and they are mashed dont use to much butter tho you want the mash fluffy....

add the flaked flish into the ceramic dish, then add sauce over the fish, mix around so the fish in all covere din the gooy sauce..

add the mash gently, cover the dish

in the oven for 30 min's out it come serve with that and some nice peas

good luck :) and to me thats propper comfort food....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you could say ALL fish caught at sea are wild.
    This makes fish very undervalued as wild anything is expensive:)

Salmon and bass are often farmed, while a lot of mussels and oysters are not totally wild either.

Salmon and bass are often farmed, while a lot of mussels and oysters are not totally wild either.

Yes but salmon and bass are not caught at sea, they are farmed and then harvested which is a big difference.

Salmon and bass are often farmed, .

and you can tell if the fish is farmed, buy looking at the tails...:)

and the genral scales of the fish tend to be dull and mor markings on , then a freashly caught fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Dad's Fish Stew Recipe
    Preparation time: 25 minutes.
    Ingredients

* 6 Tbsp olive oil
    * 1 cup of chopped onions
    * 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    * 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    * 1 cup of fresh chopped tomato (about 1 medium sized tomato)
    * 2 tsp of tomato paste.
    * 8 oz of clam juice (or shellfish stock)
    * 2/3 cup dry white wine
    * 1 1/2 lb fish fillets (use halibut, cod, sole, red snapper, sea bass), cut into 2-inch pieces
    * Touch of dry oregano, Tabasco, thyme, pepper
    * Salt

Method

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté 4 minutes. Add parsley and stir 2 minutes. Add tomato, tomato paste and cook 2 minutes longer.

2 Add clam juice, dry white wine, and fish and simmer until fish is cooked through, less than 10 minutes. Add seasoning. Salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve with a good crust bread or Cornbread if ye have it.

Never really cook much fish but really getting into it lately. Just wondering, when a fishmongers is advertising something like "Whole Sea Bass €5". Would you get them to fillet it for you or would you take it home, cook it whole and then cut the meat off after cooking it?

I don't know much about trying to fillet a fish so that would put me off a bit?

Never really cook much fish but really getting into it lately. Just wondering, when a fishmongers is advertising something like "Whole Sea Bass €5". Would you get them to fillet it for you or would you take it home, cook it whole and then cut the meat off after cooking it?

you can oven bake a hol see bass if you want or you can fry the fillits it really depends on what you want/how you want to cook the fish...:)

you can oven bake a hol see bass if you want or you can fry the fillits it really depends on what you want/how you want to cook the fish...:)

Ya but say I cooked it whole, how would i go about serving it? I don't want to land a full fish down on someones plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jennywren

Hey where do you get Clam Juice - I have a similar recipe but can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Clam juice? Just use a good fish stock. Recipes that refer to clam juice are probably american. There is a Canadian cocktail mixer called Clamato - a mixture of tomato and clam juice - makes a caesar - like a bloody mary but the juice is thinner. But I think the recipes are looking for a shellfish stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'e recently been getting into fish too.

Had fish at a dinner party a while ago, and it was amazing.

It was the sauce that did it, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me recreate it lol

Basically, I'm a rubish cook. But I know the cook marinaded the fish in a sauce that he'd made from lime juice, ginger, garlic and chili, amongst other stuff.

Does anyone know a good fish marinade recipe using those ingredients. I wouldn't even know where to start :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

any good fish shops in Dublin city centre? I've been down under for a couple of years but will be back in a few months. The availability of fish here is amazing. Plus most fish is sold skinless and completely boneless. I remember buying fresh fish in Eire it would always be riddled with bones. Do fish people in Ireland not know how to fillet it or something? Or do we just eat tiny fish with bones too small to find? It's about 10 euro a kg for good white fish here, although you can pay more or pay less, how much would a kg of good white fish cost in Eire? I'd imagine around 3 times that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    any good fish shops in Dublin city centre? I've been down under for a couple of years but will be back in a few months. The availability of fish here is amazing. Plus most fish is sold skinless and completely boneless. I remember buying fresh fish in Eire it would always be riddled with bones. Do fish people in Ireland not know how to fillet it or something? Or do we just eat tiny fish with bones too small to find? It's about 10 euro a kg for good white fish here, although you can pay more or pay less, how much would a kg of good white fish cost in Eire? I'd imagine around 3 times that?

kish fish, bow street, smithfield, D7
    wrights of marino, don't remember the road, marino, D3

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jennywren

Minder wrote: »
    Clam juice? Just use a good fish stock. Recipes that refer to clam juice are probably american. There is a Canadian cocktail mixer called Clamato - a mixture of tomato and clam juice - makes a caesar - like a bloody mary but the juice is thinner. But I think the recipes are looking for a shellfish stock.

The recipe is for Cioppino which is from San Fran and most of the recipes I have found say Clam juice or Clamato - do you know anywhere that sells that ? I will probably just try it with fish stock but its always nice if you can get the actual ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sorry, I'm living in the UK so I don't know of an Irish supplier. Waitrose sell it in the UK and I have also bought it from a seller on Ebay. I think Tesco also sell it.

what i love about buying fish is the way it first then fillet it and charge you for the head gut's and skin and bones :D...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I see that lemon has been mentioned quite a bit -- but when cooking most kinds of white fish, I think lemon and parsley make a lovely combination; very light and fresh.

Why on earth would you want to fillet it yourself?!? My great aunt used to buy fish whole, then scale them, and gut them, the whole bit. No thank you! Especially if you don't cook fish much, I think it'd be worth it just to buy the fillets/have them do it for you. (Or maybe I just hate the idea of scales in my kitchen and fish heads in my sink! :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Basically, I'm a rubish cook. But I know the cook marinaded the fish in a sauce that he'd made from lime juice, ginger, garlic and chili, amongst other stuff.

Does anyone know a good fish marinade recipe using those ingredients. I wouldn't even know where to start :P

Sounds like a ceviche to me

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/black-bream-ceviche-07-11-08_p_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Sorry for the bump ,
    If I'm to put a fresh cod fillet or haddock in the oven and rap it in tin foil

How long and at what gas mark would be best ,

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

There are lots of fishcake recps as well that are really tassty. Ill dig a few up.

Only eat pretty fish.

Advertisement