Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fly fishing in Winter?

• 07-01-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Anybody do it ?

I know rivers are closed but is there any lakes? Is rathbeggan a lake you can fish all year round ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I don't know if Rathbeggan is open or not, I know Rathcon is, Maynooth is, and I'm pretty sure Corkagh Park is. Actually I'd say most private fisheries are the EFB site has a list. I'm hoping to get up to Rathcon myself this weekend if some bits I've ordered arrive, it's supposed to be pretty good.

edit: actually looking at the EFB site, Rathbeggan does seem to be open year round

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There is also Annamoe.
    And O'Malleys in Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Cant wait for 1st march yo ho ho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Maynooth is open, so is Rathbeggan.

Or, Pike on the fly if thats beter for you? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭premiercad

They look like good waters. Could be a good bit of practice before the start of the season! Do the trout take the traditional lake flies as the browns would out west? Or will they hit any ould thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

They can be fussy because those fisheries are mainly catch and release. So the trout have all have several lessons.
    The good traditional wet patterns all represent one or two natural items anyway, so they will work if the size and colour matches the hatch, or simply looks buggy enough to be worth a taste to see if it's as good as it looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭premiercad

Match the Hatch ...Hmmm Ive heard that before with this Fly Fishing Lark!:)
    I reckon it looks well worth a day trip to keep the interest from waneing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭ravey

Just to let you know, Rathbeggan is open all year round although we have just introduced a new business to the venue until Easter. As a result, we are only open for fishing monday to friday, with the venue converting to an airsoft skirmish ground at weekends. I know that this will probably p*** some people off and we apologise but with our overheads we just werent cutting the mustard in terms of angler numbers through the winter.
    Details of our changes are always on the fishery website www.rathbegganlakes.com and if you want to see what we are doing at the weekends you can check www.rathbegganairsoft.com
    So apologies again to weekend anglers but you can now get a full day catch and release during the week for just €20 to make up.
    Dave Robinson:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PETEMCL2003

corkagh is definitely open as there was guys fishing 2 days ago in the snow

Advertisement