Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest 2 cars for me please

Options
  • 07-01-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

My sis and I are both currently in the market for newish cars. Neither of us will be trading in so will be a straight forward purchase.

I've got a budget of Euro 16k and have been looking at the 2.0 TDi Passat as I need the room and power with golf clubs, 2 kids, and herself in that order. Possibly a 06 or 07 model.

Her budget is Euro 20k (crazy I know as she's single) and is looking at the Golf 2.0 Tdi GT, again 07 or 08 model.

I'm thinking we'll get more bang for our buck if we hit a dealer up north together and look for the best deal possible. Can anyone suggest a possible dealership I can look at and what sort of deal we should be holding out for given the current situation dealers find themselves in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

yep go north youll make a big saving over down here and if you buy the 2 off the one dealer youll get a nice discount

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's hard enough finding the right car at the right price once without hoping to do it twice at the one dealer, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

fact your both looking at VW will make it easier.
    I reckon the north or the UK if you don't have a trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's hard enough finding the right car at the right price once without hoping to do it twice at the one dealer, IMO.

Really? I would have thought that if you found a dealer who had 2 cars in stock that were interested in, that the dealer would find it easier to do a deal?

Anyhow, I've found the following cars on a VW site up north -

'08 Golf 2.0 TDi GT Sport - 5489 mls - £14,995
    '07 Passat 2.0 TDi SE - 10617 mls - £11,995

As we won't be looking to trade and we're purchasing twice, can anyone suggest what sort of prices/discount we should be looking for here?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

Easy choice - you want a VW at a good price - pick a Skoda - for that money you could get a VRS (2.0 TSFI or TDI are both crackers). It has acres of space in the boot and goes like stink. I'm on my second VRS now and haven't looked back since. Plenty in the UK - you'll pay a premium to get one up north as opposed to going over to England say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

yep i agree go to england if you can instead of up north as they charge more up there.if you are looking for diesel car you will save a fortune buying in england.good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Redroof1

you should try Dreamcars. I bought 2 cars from them last year. They sourced them from the UK and delivered them to my door and save me alot of cash.Its defo worth a call and so easy

Redroof1 wrote: »
    you should try Dreamcars. I bought 2 cars from them last year. They sourced them from the UK and delivered them to my door and save me alot of cash.Its defo worth a call and so easy

No thanks as it looks like dreamcars.com are caught in a time warp...they've got last year's prices on there.

no no dreamcars.ie..they are an Irish company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But why pay a middleman when you can do it yourself?

I tried doing it myself and all the calculations but when I factored in travel and all that it worked out more expensive . They only deal with main dealers so the cars are guaranteed. Plus I didn't have to leave my house. Get a quote you won't be dissappointed

no no dreamcars.ie..they are an Irish company

Typo, I meant dreamcars.ie. Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'll put the legwork in myself.

Just be careful and make sure your calculations are correct thats where I went wrong..I know that dreamcars don't hold any stock so whats on the site are sold cars...best of luck

bazza wrote: »
    Easy choice - you want a VW at a good price - pick a Skoda - for that money you could get a VRS (2.0 TSFI or TDI are both crackers). It has acres of space in the boot and goes like stink. I'm on my second VRS now and haven't looked back since. Plenty in the UK - you'll pay a premium to get one up north as opposed to going over to England say.

Just looking at the VRS options in the UK Bazza and I can't seem to find any with the DSG box? Is this an option on the "old" model, i.e. not the new '09 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Be aware you will have to pay VAT as well as VRT if you import a vehicle less than 6 months old or with less than 7,500 miles on the clock.

Thanks 99er...am a long time lurker on Motors so am aware of that. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bazza

Yeah, AFAIK, the DSG was available on the petrol VRS but not 100% sure it was available on the diesel. The Octavia is being updated this year, but again best I know the updated VRS won't come until late this year, or early next. The current model VRS was introduced around end 2004, so earlier ones are prob less likely to have some of the nicer toys like xenons etc. But the spec has always been excellent on them, electric windows all round climate control as standard etc. Later ones have things like the multifunction display (maxidot its called) and handsfree bluetooth all integrated and standard.

If you're looking at the diesel, theres 2 VRS. One is the older PD TDI and is fine but a little less refined than the newer one introduced earlier last year which is a common rail version. Thats the better option if you can find one at the right price, plus if you're importing a 08 you'll pay the lower VRT and tax. Prior to that would be on the old VRT and road tax scheme.

But anyway, its a good option as all the kit, running gear etc is all VW/Audi under the covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just be careful spec wise on a vRS in the UK. AFAIK they dont come with climate (manual air con instead)/Xenons/drivers arm rest/rear electric windows as standard like the Irish ones(which is a first:rolleyes:). I remember noticing that when I was looking on piston heads a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

try this place
    http://www.tjhamiltonvolkswagen.com/

If they don't have what you want I would say they would source it from you from the UK

• Advertisement
Advertisement