Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plugging laptop into T.V.

• 07-01-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Can I watch video from the internet on a new t.v ? What ports do I need in a tv to do this? and what cabling do I need ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If your TV is a new one it will have a HDMI connection. Whatever video output your laptop has you should be able to get a cable to go from one to the other.

ie If your laptop has a DVI output you could just get a DVI-HDMI cable and it will work though will not carry sound. You would be limited to the maximum video resolution of the laptop video chipset and possibly also limited by the TV maximum pc resolution but HDMI to DVI is (I believe) the best way.

I found this sony info pretty useful :

At the back of your video and audio devices, you may find the following connectors, depending on the model you have:
    Name* Aspect Quality Signal transmitted

HDMI ***** picture + sound
    DVI ***** picture
    Component video ****(*) picture
    SCART **(*) picture + sound
    S-Video ** picture
    Composite video * picture
    Digital Coaxial ***** Sound
    Digital Optical ****(*) Sound
    * For each connection type, a colour is used to make the diagrams easier to understand.

To enjoy the best audio visual experience with your system, it is preferable to connect your best devices with the highest quality connections available. For example: your Blu-Ray Disc player or HD Set Top Box with HDMI, followed by your DVD player with Component, then your Video Cassette Recorder with S-video etc.
    Note : the quality of the picture also strongly depends on the quality of the cable used.
    HDMI The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is an all-digital audio/video interface capable of transmitting high definition video and audio signals. HDMI provides an interface between any compatible digital audio/video source, such as a set-top box, a DVD player, a PC, a video game system, or an AV receiver and a compatible digital audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV)
    DVI The Digital Visual Interface is capable of transmitting high definition video, but does not transmit sound. You will need to use the audio connectors of your device (usually Optical/Coaxial digital, or RCA).
    It is possible to connect an HDMI device to a DVI device using a HDMI to DVI adapter
    Component video Component video is an analogue connection. It is capable of transmitting high definition signals. Component does not transmit sound. You will need to use the audio connectors of your device (usually Optical/Coaxial digital, or RCA)
    SCART The SCART connection is a European standard that gathers together various common analogue signal types such as RGB, S-Video and Composite into a single connector. It can transmit standard definition sound and video. However the picture quality is inferior to HDMI, DVI, and component video. It can only transmit standard definition signals
    S-Video Separate video, abbreviated S-Video and also known as Y/C is an analogue video signal that carries the video data as two separate signals (brightness and colour), unlike composite video which carries the entire set of signals in one signal line. S-Video, as most commonly implemented, carries standard definition video. It does not carry audio on the same cable. This connector is not represented in our connectivity diagrams
    Composite video Composite video is an analogue video (no sound) format. This is the connector you should use if you do not have any other connector available, in term of quality. This connector is not represented in our connectivity diagrams
    Digital coaxial Digital coaxial connector carries compressed digital audio. This type of connection can transmit stereo and multi channel audio data in various compressed formats like DTS, Dolby Digital etc. It looks similar to a regular RCA audio cable, with the exception that its impedance is of 75 ohm and that it is made of a thicker shielded cable.
    Note: A Digital coaxial connection cannot transmit the new HD sound formats like DTS HD, Dolby True HD etc...
    Digital optical Digital optical connector has the same functionalities, except that the signal is carried through optical fiber.
    Note: A Digital Optical connection cannot transmit the new HD sound formats like DTS HD, Dolby True HD etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,480 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have hooked my laptop to a Tv using the HDMI to DVI method and naturally I have no sound. Is there a separate cable I can use to achieve sound? Or is the prospect of watching a movie on it in this method a no no?

Also what is the name of the Scart Lead you can use with two connectors for the laptop on the back? That could be a backup I guess.

Finally the movie at the moment (with no sound!) is not big enough resolution wise so I assume this can be changed by the settings in control panel.

EDIT: I see that I can use a cable for the audio separately (RCA slots on the TV) but there is also a slot on the tv called DVI AUDIO IN. What is the cable for that?

Thank you.

Advertisement