Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madre Mia! My Speakers!

Options
  • 07-01-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Arghhh, my oul faithful Boston Acoustic sub and speakers have stopped working. I tried to put the power connector from it into another thing that appeared to have the same voltage requirements, but the thingy wasn't the right size, and since then, the speakers wouldn't turn on, the other thing is fine though? I checked the fuse and it's fine, and I can hear a very low buzzing coming from the box on the cable when I put my ear right up to it, so that shows that it's being powered anyway, it just wont turn the sub on. I don't have another cable the same size/power to check the sub to see if it's ok, so I don't know if it's the cable I did something to, or the sub itself!

Any idea what I could do or what I've done :confused:

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone have any idea? Or where could I take something like this to get repaired even? I think it might just need a new cable/power box/lead, but don't want to go sourcing and buying one incase it wont work. Where could I even find a power lead the same voltage/size/amp to test I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Sounds like the power supply is not working, or the connector was damaged and is not fitting the speaker socket properly. Have a look at the power supply, it should say what voltage it operates at, whether DC or AC, and how much current it can supply.

You buy buy replacements cheap enough online once you know ahat you need. Take a look here for some background information.

Thanks for the reply :)

On the box it says:

Boston Acoustics:
    AC Adapter
    Model No. DM1203a0-3an
    I/P: 230-240VAC 50hz 182mA
    O/P: 12VAC 3000mA

and on the subwoofer it says 12v in ACDC but doesn't mention what polarity like a lot of other devices I have do..

Would you know which one to get from maplin at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Well you can always test your power supply using a digital multimeter or voltmeter. If you don't have one yourself, someone you know is bound to have one. They're very handy to have lying around too, so you might as well buy one!

Anyway, just probe the 12V end of the power supply to see if its working.
    I found this on Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=96964

They stock a univseral 3A AC-AC power supply, but the 12V one is out of stock at the moment.

£14 is grand, phew :) wonder do they have it in the Dublin branch and how much it would be.. I'd be willing to pay extra to get my music back asap!

How could it have blown anyway by just attaching to this: http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_list_comments.php?product=9442 I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'd imagine they would have or they could at least order it in. But sure, failing that, you're
    bound to find something similiar on ebay.

But! Thats not to say the adaptor is the problem though, its just one possibility....

I really doubt plugging that harddrive into it caused the problem! If the adaptor blew, it might have been due to a power surge or something...or just old age maybe. To give you an example, I had a surge there one of the days over christmas which fried my PC but didn't damage anything else!

thanks again for the replies!

Well I have a 4 way socket that the sub was plugged into, and that 4 way socket was plugged into a surge protected 4 way socket. I asked on boards before and was told that anything connected to that surge socket, would be protected itself, so all the plugs on the 4 way adapter would be protected too. Maybe it is just old age, but strange it would happen when I do something like that and the surge would happen at that precise moment, it was about 2 minutes between the time it worked and stopped working, and it was just when I was messing about with it. I hope it's not the sub woofer itself :( if it is, would it be a simple open and replace a lil thing job I wonder?

Zapho wrote: »
    Well you can always test your power supply using a digital multimeter or voltmeter. If you don't have one yourself, someone you know is bound to have one. They're very handy to have lying around too, so you might as well buy one!

Anyway, just probe the 12V end of the power supply to see if its working.
    I found this on Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=96964

They stock a univseral 3A AC-AC power supply, but the 12V one is out of stock at the moment.

Got that one in Maplin today, under 24 euro, got the last one in stock too and now my speakers are back working :D

Thanks again!

Advertisement