Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortar mix?

• 07-01-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Gonna tackle a bit of block laying shortly to extend a shed. I'll be using 9" cavity blocks. I was just wondering however what is the correct ratio for mixing mortar? What would work best? I've looked it up on the net but one site varies to the next, so its a little confusing!

What worked best for you?? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

See attached pdf sheet outlining mortar mixes.
    Otherwise, just ring your local Roadstone Centre and ask for the rep, who should be able to tell you exactly! PS, blocklayers seem to prefer Roadstone blocks as being of higher quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

id use 5 parts sand to 1 part cement. add some plasticiser for the plasticiser there are instructions about what quantities to use on the back of the drum. also add plasticiser to the water rather than the mix as this way it mixes more evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sparky78

Could you lay blocks in the current weather conditions?
    My builder is keen to go ahead but I have been putting him off all week.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Many thanks for the info guys I appreciate it! I'll think of ye when I'm breaking my back mixing the mortar! :pac:

Good question Sparky, not sure how the cold/frost would, or if it would affect the mix or setting. I wont be doing any brick work for a couple of weeks anyway, so hopefully things will be a little milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chrisinwestcork

try a squeeze of washing up liquid in the mix, and the longer u mix it for the wetter it gets so start of dry and let the mixer do the work,just stand there and ponder " i know this will turn out bad ,why cant i just get some one else to do it!!!!!" and b4 u know it a nice creamy mix!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know its a shed but do you think you will be able to do the blockwork without any experience? Ive seen many many people who presume that it couldnt be too hard especially the cavity blocks as the wall isnt going to fall over but most of the people ive seen get to about cill level and cannot finish it as the wall starts to go everywhere but straight and plum. Ok, if its the size of a dog kennel it would be fine, but something the size of a car would be very dodgy. The most common problem seems to be that the wall starts to run off a little and because the blocks are so wide, you tend to get a stepping effect from course to course in an attempt to keep the wall plum while each block is not sitting plum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Frost and minus zero temperatures does effect the chemical reaction in the mortar, preventing it from sticking. Be very careful in early morning and late evening.

Advertisement