Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Prelude Buying advice please...

Options
  • 07-01-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Been saving for a teg the last few months but have been looking at Preludes the last few daysonline and I could buyone outright without gettin a loan like I was going to for the Teg.

My question is, what are they like? Most of them are Auto's and I've never owned an Auto before, are they good performance wise? What model is best?

The two major things swaying me towards the Prelude is the price and the insurance, It'd be 600 euro cheaper to Insure it than the teg. Any advice welcome.

Oh and I was looking at getting the 2.2 V-tech. There's a 98 Auto on carzone for 2800, and there's a 94 Manual for 3400, would it be worthwhile to drop the years for the Manual? It just seems like a lot of years to drop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

...anyone???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Drive a few, it's the only way to get to know whether you like them, and whether you prefer the manual or auto box.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

I feel the new gen preludes are just really nice and don't have "in my opinion" the bad rep of tegs and civics, had one before and they're a very good sports cruiser. Power is relatively good above the 2ltr F20A :p

Try to get a JDM manual 2.2 vtec H22A ( Type S or SIR ) and try not to get one thats been modified. after them maybe the Euro H22A SIR.

If you plan to modify above 300hp then stay away from ATTS in the Type S's, FWD doesn't put down the power above 300 as well as lude members would like and as it's a sports cruiser I feel theres no reason for over standard anyway as it is a nice drive

If you plan to go standard then ANY of the H22A's are wonderful.

They all eat oil due to vtec but I've forgotten what things to look out for when buying

Manuals are available for most models and regional versions, the auto is a semi which is fine but I had heard problems with them when I was a luder (don't remember the details though)

4WS, if it goes kaput, can be expensive to replace/repair but when it is broken the rear wheels align straight anyway so becomes 2WS. Also, as above, try them out as 4WS definitely has a different feeling cornering and in turning manuevers

Older gens are perfectly fine though don't know much about them

I feel the new gen preludes are just really nice and don't have "in my opinion" the bad rep of tegs and civics, had one before and they're a very good sports cruiser. Power is relatively good above the 2ltr F20A :p

Try to get a JDM manual 2.2 vtec H22A ( Type S or SIR ) and try not to get one thats been modified. after them maybe the Euro H22A SIR.

If you plan to modify above 300hp then stay away from ATTS in the Type S's, FWD doesn't put down the power above 300 as well as lude members would like and as it's a sports cruiser I feel theres no reason for over standard anyway as it is a nice drive

If you plan to go standard then ANY of the H22A's are wonderful.

They all eat oil due to vtec but I've forgotten what things to look out for when buying

Manuals are available for most models and regional versions, the auto is a semi which is fine but I had heard problems with them when I was a luder (don't remember the details though)

4WS, if it goes kaput, can be expensive to replace/repair but when it is broken the rear wheels align straight anyway so becomes 2WS. Also, as above, try them out as 4WS definitely has a different feeling cornering and in turning manuevers

Older gens are perfectly fine though don't know much about them
    Cheers for that, the more expensive ones are SIR's but I reckon they'd be the one I'd go for.

The Auto box was my main concern, the tiptronic makes it a lil bit better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The SIR's are expensive alright, and the Type S is rare and expensive!
    The 2.2 VTi had 185bhp up to 1998 and from 1999 till end of life had 197bhp. I think the 197bhp version had the red top engine. The '92 - '97 model is supposed to be mediocre in the handling department, the '97 - '01 model apparently is a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jdmluder

hi i have driven a BB4 for 2 years now and must say that its a fantastic car. Due to bottom end failure on my H22A and availability i dropped in an F22B non vtec. Having experienced the two you should definetly get the vtec equiped model. More power, better brakes and better resaleability. As regards buying tips. The prelude will go through various suspension joints and brake parts with ease. Be prepared for regular maintainance. I would say that these cars can take serious punishment. Driven as a crusier id say that these would be very low maintainence. That can result in a pitfall when purchasing with a long list of parts waiting to pushed pasted the end of there lifetime. Dont be put off by high milage. Buy a manual. IMHO i dont see the point of the Autos. That said the fourth generation autoboxs are strong when coupled with regular oil changes. Fifth gen standard autos i cant say are strong or weak but the auto tip tronic needs oil changes and will break if pushed. As a result of a lot of failures replacments are hard found and if found will probably break. You should get onto www.preludeuk.co.uk and start reading. There are extensive buying guides and advice from a sound bunch of owners on every problem that you may encounter. All prelude will show the same niggly faults all of which can make a purchase more favourable to yourself but be very easily resolved. There are plenty of very good examples out there now so take your time and travel to look at a few. Lastly to add i dont think that the prelude will dissappoint as a n/a fwd cruiser. ;)

jdmluder wrote: »
    hi i have driven a BB4 for 2 years now and must say that its a fantastic car. Due to bottom end failure on my H22A and availability i dropped in an F22B non vtec. Having experienced the two you should definetly get the vtec equiped model. More power, better brakes and better resaleability. As regards buying tips. The prelude will go through various suspension joints and brake parts with ease. Be prepared for regular maintainance. I would say that these cars can take serious punishment. Driven as a crusier id say that these would be very low maintainence. That can result in a pitfall when purchasing with a long list of parts waiting to pushed pasted the end of there lifetime. Dont be put off by high milage. Buy a manual. IMHO i dont see the point of the Autos. That said the fourth generation autoboxs are strong when coupled with regular oil changes. Fifth gen standard autos i cant say are strong or weak but the auto tip tronic needs oil changes and will break if pushed. As a result of a lot of failures replacments are hard found and if found will probably break. You should get onto www.preludeuk.co.uk and start reading. There are extensive buying guides and advice from a sound bunch of owners on every problem that you may encounter. All prelude will show the same niggly faults all of which can make a purchase more favourable to yourself but be very easily resolved. There are plenty of very good examples out there now so take your time and travel to look at a few. Lastly to add i dont think that the prelude will dissappoint as a n/a fwd cruiser. ;)
    Thanks for the advise, think I'll acyually go for the Prelude rather than the Teg after all. There's a gorgeous one for 7k on carzone, when I get a few more quids together and if it's still there I'll give em a shout...

Advertisement