Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of web development

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, Conor.

And I'd agree - if there's only 3 or 4 pages and they're not going to be regularly updated, then a CMS is definitely overkill. In implementation time alone, the time spent doing a full CMS would easily cover a decent amount of updates using HTML & FTP.

Unless of course you think that something like WordPress would be suitable. You can install, skin and customise it in no time flat. You say you know PHP so you're at a distinct advantage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Conor,

The Wordpress route seems to be the best option for you. The Wordpress structure is a bit rigid but you should be able to make it work for a small, simple site.

You might want to start with a good "bare bones" theme that gives you a head start and then alter the css to your own design.

ThemeHybrid has some good blank themes that you can style with a lot of options built-in.

http://themehybrid.com/themes

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

I f you are looking for a 3/4 page website it should be very simple and quick to do.
    If you have domain name and hosting and a ftp account from your hosting account it can be done in a good 3 days from the time you talk with the designer to getting it live on the web.
    It really depends on " have you a good idea of what you want" , have a look at competiters websites and give the designer a definite idea.
    I see other posts saying it should take a few hours , If you have all the images and text ready for the designer then it will take a few hours, also if you have your file transfer protocol account ready as well with the correct details.
    I recently did a site for family www.zincpublishing.ie and did it all in 4 hours as I had all the relevant information.
    I have done scores where the person is not sure on the style, has no images ready needs a logo designed etc which has taken weeks in delays.
    So my advise is , have everything ready for the designer, they will love you for it, be sure in your design, give the designer 2 websites that you like the look off and you can take the best features from them and intergrate them in you r new site, best of luck to you in your venture, if I can help at all please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Conor,

The Wordpress route seems to be the best option for you. The Wordpress structure is a bit rigid but you should be able to make it work for a small, simple site.

You might want to start with a good "bare bones" theme that gives you a head start and then alter the css to your own design.

ThemeHybrid has some good blank themes that you can style with a lot of options built-in.

http://themehybrid.com/themes

HTH
    Noooo look what you've woken up :eek:

Here we go again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Noooo look what you've woken up :eek:

Here we go again :pac:

Emmmm?? Sorry I don't follow you.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement