Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you like to do for vday this year??

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

shes/hes single gong to a dinner party on valintines with 6 couples.......think about it

is the not the exact same, as the 7 of us going out on a saturday night or mighting in each others houses for beers and pizza

seriously, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

is the not the exact same, as the 7 of us going out on a saturday night or mighting in each others houses for beers and pizza

I think this kind of scenario very much depends on the people involved. If its 7 good friends who know eachother well who's going to give a flying a hoot what the ratio of couples: singles is in fairness.

But if it's a group that aren't so familiar with eachother then an 'odd one out' can be very much made feel that way - I remember one New Year's Eve Eve dinner gathering where I was the only singleton in the middle of 10 couples, only 3 of whom I knew well. It was, quite frankly, ewwwwww.

\OT

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think it would much more rude to leave them out.

"you know how we usually all met up, well you cant come out with us on saturday night because you are single"

that is a horrible thing to do to your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, g'em is saying it's fine when everyone is friends with each other anyway, but I agree with her - if you didn't know most of the people it wouldn't be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Dear God the 7th of January.

IT'S WORSE THAN CHRISTMAS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

Curl into the foetal position and hope to God I go the day without crying of loneliness.

Or just watch television. The latter being the most likely to happen, unless I lose the remote.

Tut tut tut, its a saturday night this year, why not get together with you single friends and have a laugh,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

j0605 wrote: »
    Tut tut tut, its a saturday night this year, why not get together with you single friends and have a laugh,

I will be, it's my best friend's 21st birthday that night. That's something I just remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Dinner hopefully. We have our anniversary coming up shortly afterwards and then his birthday so I'm hoping to combine the pressies into one or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im sorry i thaught you ment just a single person in genral was';nt aware that you where all friends :)

please dont be mad :)

i tock my back bone out espechilly to say that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sex, but the likelihood of that is extremely low. Will probably end up going for a pint with friends, and bitching about being single.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Thank feck it's on a Saturday this year.

Yes, no random bouquets arriving in the office to be collected by giggling girls, no reminding the boss not to forget the fecking flowers he ordered for his wife, and to pick up chocolates at lunchtime :)

Just a nice normal Saturday, am doing nothing for VDay, have never celebrated that, Mothers, Fathers, or any other makey uppey Hallmark holiday :)

Dear God the 7th of January.

IT'S WORSE THAN CHRISTMAS

Ah no, I'm sure the romantics amongst us need time to plan/book their loved ones a special something to mark the day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Er...14th Feb right? Thats a Thursday this year....
    I remember waiting for my friend on Grafton st last year and I saw a guy with a bunch of flowers crouching down hiding beside Awear scribbling furiously on a card for his 'bird' who he was probably gonna meet in the next few minutes and I just thought...wtf. Why bother? I know some girls (high maintenance) who insist on getting something (as in a gift for the dirty minded peeps out there) because thats the kind of gals they are but I think...hallmark day, marketing invention....instead, meet up and do something with your OH or whatever, the rest of us singles can go out and have the laugh...and celebrate not having to spend 60 quid on a meal, 30 quid on flowers and 5 on a card.*

*disclaimer......I am not cheap or tight...I would accept said gifts mentioned above...I am not made of stone...I am not a bitter biddy....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Doozie wrote: »
    Er...14th Feb right? Thats a Thursday this year....

Nope, it's definitely a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will be in Galway, He will be at the other side of the Atlantic.

It being on a Saturday, I could actually get flowers as I'd be home(I don't have a stationary place of work)

But I'd rather he didn't waste the money tbh, cos it's all a bunch of mercenary consumerist CRAP!!!

I really don't need a designated day of the year to show my man I care.... and vice versa tbh...

Save the fcuking trees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Chill out! and sort thru all the cards i'll get (lol:D)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Lucy Lu

Tom and I will be going to dinner with friends. Much better than all the mushy couples stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

ill probably end up going the pictures with my friend niamh and picking out all the reasons why thoose sickeningly cute couple will break up.
    its tradition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The other half is working that weekend, so it'll be just me, a pizza and a dvd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

I hate valentines. I think I'm the only girl I know that does. Am in the most perfect relationship and don't feel I need to spend a crazy amount of money to show that. We get/make each other cards where we write something from the heart- which is the best I could ask for.
    Plus the last 2 years I've been at weddings. Same this year.

All the same- good excuse to buy new lingerie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LeahBaby wrote: »
    I hate valentines. I think I'm the only girl I know that does.
    Are you serious? Such a shame.

Actually it's not that I hate it, I just think it's hilariously pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

LeahBaby wrote: »
    All the same- good excuse to buy new lingerie ;)

Bingo! Valentine's Day: The sex holiday! But remember girls, llingerie is for life, not just for Valentine's :)

Being single, I have no plans :( But what I like to do for Valentines is just a quiet night in, a nice, homecooked dinner, and an early night! I really hate going to restaurants on VDay, because I detest the sub-par food, service, and atmosphere they seem to keep especially for that night.

Also, despite having been in an LTR for five years, I have never once received flowers, ever. The first man to send me flowers on Valentines Day (or any other day really!) will be a very, very lucky bloke, for I shall adore him forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Don't do anything for vday, its just to mushy and stuff. Wont see OH which is fine by me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Riddle me this - why is it mostly the guys that have to do all the lavishing the OH with gifts, cards etc on Vday? I'm basing this on last year from my own experience and that of all my taken male friends.
    I'm not complaining now cause mine was great but when I think about it, I didn't even get a card when I went to great lengths to impress. It's not really fair. I'm expecting loads of cards in the post this year to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Riddle me this - why is it mostly the guys that have to do all the lavishing the OH with gifts, cards etc on Vday? I'm basing this on last year from my own experience and that of all my taken male friends.
    I'm not complaining now cause mine was great but when I think about it, I didn't even get a card when I went to great lengths to impress. It's not really fair. I'm expecting loads of cards in the post this year to make up for it.

I'd always buy a bf a gift and card for valentine's day... once surprised my ex with a night away in a hotel and he didn't get me anything that year! So we're not all just expecting to be lavished :P

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Dudess wrote: »
    Are you serious? Such a shame.

Actually it's not that I hate it, I just think it's hilariously pathetic.

Yeah I don't see the point of it to be honest.

We buy gifts for each other at birthdays and Giftmas, and mark the anniversary in a non-presenty way (twice a year is enough for presents!). I find marking the anniversary a lot more meaningful to me than marking Valentine's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My other half has just booked his flight over for Valentine's weekend last night. We are both divorcees and its to be our first vday together. The plan is to make some dinner together and chill out for the evening and that sounds like a great plan to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Make love ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think that's stupid tbh - all this demand demand and why should we get anything for him :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to hear what OP got for her bf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'll be sitting the HPAT.

How romantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

This will be my first valentines day not being single...so i'm not expecting too much =D

Advertisement