Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk Drive Failing

• 07-01-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭

My disk drive is on the blink. There's some horrible noises coming out of it. Games not being read etc. The one game it has major trouble reading is Fifa 09, so I installed that to the hard drive, but I've only enough space for one game.

It's not a massive problem right now, I can live with it. But was just wondering would I be better off just getting a bigger hard drive to fix this problem, and installing all games to the hard drive, or is there an easy way to replace the disk drive? I don't use cd's or dvd's so I only ever use the drive for games. It can definitely read them long enough to install them.

I'd rather buy the hard drive than install and new disk drive if they're gonna work out roughly the same price, at least then I have the benefit of playing games without the noise of the disk drive. The 120gb hdd is about €60 delivered on dealextreme but I know people have said these are dodgy, is that definitely the case?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

My disk drive is on the blink. There's some horrible noises coming out of it. Games not being read etc. The one game it has major trouble reading is Fifa 09, so I installed that to the hard drive, but I've only enough space for one game.

It's not a massive problem right now, I can live with it. But was just wondering would I be better off just getting a bigger hard drive to fix this problem, and installing all games to the hard drive, or is there an easy way to replace the disk drive? I don't use cd's or dvd's so I only ever use the drive for games. It can definitely read them long enough to install them.

I'd rather buy the hard drive than install and new disk drive if they're gonna work out roughly the same price, at least then I have the benefit of playing games without the noise of the disk drive. The 120gb hdd is about €60 delivered on dealextreme but I know people have said these are dodgy, is that definitely the case?

Well i am not gonna comment on the hdd quality but would ask this question, what happens when the disc drive craps itself totally? Doesnt matter how much hdd space you have if the drive wont read the game at all to copy it Also even if you used a friends/whoever's 360 to copy the game to your hdd and then take the hdd back to your console it wont work (or at least wouldnt work for me) i have cod5 on the 20gig hdd from original 360 and got a new elite and cant play the game from 20gig hdd plugged into elite

So i would fix it if i were you, is it still under warranty? If not there are loads of people in Dublin who fix 360's im sure people on here could give you info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's not under warranty (the warranty for non 3 red ring failures is still 1 year, no?). From the sounds it's making the disks are grinding against something inside, it's not a lens failure or anything so I don't ever see it crapping out completely.

For the moment I'm having very few actual failures where it has to quit the game, but my Dad was trying to watch a dvd on it earlier and it wouldn't play. Don't think I'll bother getting it fixed or buying the 120gb drive right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i go with attempting to manually cause rrod and send it off for a new one

If i sent it back to microsoft with rrod they would only repair the rrod for free, they'd still charge for the disk drive.

Ok on closer inspection the disk tray is the problem. When the disk spins, it doesn't spin properly and the edges of the disk end up grinding up against the edges of the tray. So the edges of all my game disks are wrecked, but the surface hasn't a scratch on them so they play fine.

This could be easily fixed without sending it back to microsoft couldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

When I sent mine back with the RROD problem MS also replaced the DVD drive.

The repair slip included with the returned 360 detailed both repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's not under warranty (the warranty for non 3 red ring failures is still 1 year, no?).
    It's 3 years for RROD, and 2 years for everything else. I got my disc drive fixed 15 months after purchase for free. It was the guy on the phone that told me it was 2 years for Irish customers, as I thought it was 1 year only too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

It's 3 years for RROD, and 2 years for everything else. I got my disc drive fixed 15 months after purchase for free. It was the guy on the phone that told me it was 2 years for Irish customers, as I thought it was 1 year only too.

I was told that this morning too. I have paid for the repair, the DVD drive went on mine too. But it is still in warranty, into the second year. However they want a reciept for it that I dont have (it was a gift) gits!! Any reciept scans would be appreciated.....

Hmm, I bought mine more than 2 years ago. It was a second hand console from Gamestop. Don't have the receipt anymore. However after about 6 months it broke and Gamestop replaced it for me with a brand new console. The manufacture date on itis November 2006 I think so it's still out of warranty there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The manufacture date on itis November 2006 I think so it's still out of warranty there.
    You could try and blag it. They never looked for proof of purchase with me, just when my manufacture date and when I bought it. My original manufacture date was August '06, which I bought in December '06. You could say you got it as a gift in March '07 (for your "birthday"), and you don't have a receipt because of it.

The worst that can happen is they say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

If i sent it back to microsoft with rrod they would only repair the rrod for free, they'd still charge for the disk drive.

What? No. I'm not sure who your getting your info from, but stop listening to them for the love of God!! :):):)

The warranty is two years, not one....

Second thing about the disc driver...I had the RROD, but the console would play the odd time while I was waiting for the labels, I noticed that the disc drive sometimes jammed so I included a note saying the drive was jamming when it was standing vertical and they replaced it, without me ever mentioning it to the guy on the phone. No hassle, at all.

Those Germans are quite efficient!

• Advertisement

Well no need to worry about being just outside the 2 year warranty now, the bloody thing just got RROD. Useless piece of shít. Second time with this particular console, third overall. I'll include a note about the disk drive being fúcked too, or should I just say it to them on the phone?

Advertisement