Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Wage; Are you better off on the dole?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 thesimpsonsfan

Please mail that to:
    Dr. Bollocko,
    CO Altavista,
    10 years ago.
    :D
    **** OFF THEN I AM ONLY TELLING YOU

YOU ****ING SPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭ronano

galwayrush wrote: »
    Being self employed and finding it tough to collect money, there are many weeks when i would have really appreciated the minimum wage in my pocket on a friday.:(

so true

only reason i'm not on the dole is the emotional impact of not having hope in the current economic climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

TBH i don't know how anyone could survive on 8.65 an hour for a 40 hour week. Then again the dole is what 200 blips a week so that's impossible to live on iswell. Jesus the food bill alone is over 200 a week in our house. 8.65 is slavery imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I believe there is supposed to be a 7% cutback on the dole which means
    €7 euro will be taken away from the 204.80 a week you are now left with exactly
    what they gave you last year 197.80 a week and also the government are thinking of increasing the reduction to way lower than 200 a week and getting a job if you are very lucky these days is DEFINITELY NOT THE ANSWER for it either, whereas a lot of people are better off on the dole than working but if the government DID reduce the dole to more than 7% 1 in 10 of long term dolers are deemed to be UNEMPLOYABLE by the time they go looking for work. And another thing the recession we are facing now is going to take over 10 YEARS OR MORE
    FOR ONLY OUR ECONOMY TO GO BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS 5 YEARS AGO
    But despite all the talk about the reduction of the dole a lot of others are actually saying that FAS should be abolished despite all the money the government is spending into it
    Emm 7% of 204.80 a week is'nt 7 euro mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ainz

Hi All,

Interesting topic...

Im on the dole since jan, got offered a job at min wage, told them will take it and am due to start on monday, only thing im still not sure as by the time i have petrol in my car n food for lunch etc... is it worth it??? Am i better off on the dole?? I know if i take the job i get to meet people looks good on CV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm in college but with no job and going potty from nothing to do - theres only so much going out to pubs and clubs you can do, boredom still happens.

On topic, minimum wage is €330 a week, for 39hrs. The "full" dole is €202 - i know i could find a use for the extra €130, dunno about the rest of you - and id prefer to be working at least part-time. Anyone who's on the dole in the current climate and doesnt need to be should be deported or culled, tbh. Although maybe better that than them taking a job off someone with a brain...
    ainz wrote: »
    Hi All,

Interesting topic...

Im on the dole since jan, got offered a job at min wage, told them will take it and am due to start on monday, only thing im still not sure as by the time i have petrol in my car n food for lunch etc... is it worth it??? Am i better off on the dole?? I know if i take the job i get to meet people looks good on CV...

Take the fúcking job. Don't be a scrounger and believe me you'll go potty bored if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

The minimum wage job can be a stepping stone for you. Doesnt mean you are stuck with it for life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

**** OFF THEN I AM ONLY TELLING YOU

YOU ****ING SPA

/sigh.
    Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'd take the job and see how it goes. If the work is not too intensive and the people are not assholes it might work out in your favour. You might get access to courses and experience which you won't get on the dole. Ask everybody about their jobs, people love talking about their jobs and are very open about how to get them etc.....
    Find the person witha well paying job you would like to do and start getting the courses/skills etc needed for that job.
    If, on the other hand, the job turns nasty and the boss is an asshole you can always leave but do so in your own time and as civilly as you can. Don't walk off after 2 weeks in a temper. I'd give a job 5-6 months at least to rule out temporary blips in the system. If the boss is still an asshole after 5-6 months chances are he will always be one........
    The big danger is getting back on the dole and getting all the bennies you will have lost by taking up a job, this can take 9 weeks or more and you will have to live on fresh air until then and not get sick or need rent etc.... until the relevant departments get you back on their books and get the benefits re-instated.
    People will need a nest-egg of some sort in the future to allow them to skip into and out of jobs more easily without fear of being rock-bottom broke for the time it takes to get the dole nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Your never better off on the dole. But sometimes it makes financial sense.

Bordom is a big killer on the dole.

My local community organisation told me they hope I never find work as I am doing so much for them now.

I told them any chance of getting paid????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

No. Contribute to society instead of adding another lesion to this damned country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Your never better off on the dole. But sometimes it makes financial sense.

i agree with joey i was on the the dole for a while but when i was offered a job i wanted by the time i had finished paying for travel childminder food ect i would have being better off at home by a lot. buti still took the job just to get back out in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Isn't it clear by now that our scientists should be working furiously, figuring out a way to induce hibernation in Irishmen? We need to snuggle up in caves and wait this thing out. Leave one person un-hibernated -- a caretaker, if you will -- to visit the caves and tuck us all in, make sure we're warm and cosy.

He should be carefully selected though, to ensure he's not the sort that would take advantage of our slumber and fondle us. If I wake up after a year and my boxers are on back to front, I'll be furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

If you think of it in just pure monetary+freetime terms then yes you're probably better off on the dole. However if you think of it terms of an investment in self then you're better to do the minimum wage job. Think of it as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

If I was employing someone I'd be more interested in the person who was working than the person who just sits around on their arse all day collecting social welfare. Plus in pure psychological terms it's not good for a persons ego or ability to interact socially to be out of work. Having a job (even an unrewarding one) gives benefit that more than just money, even if many short-sighted people sometimes forget it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

dublinario wrote: »
    Isn't it clear by now that our scientists should be working furiously, figuring out a way to induce hibernation in Irishmen? We need to snuggle up in caves and wait this thing out. Leave one person un-hibernated -- a caretaker, if you will -- to visit the caves and tuck us all in, make sure we're warm and cosy.

He should be carefully selected though, to ensure he's not the sort that would take advantage of our slumber and fondle us. If I wake up after a year and my boxers are on back to front, I'll be furious.

HE? I don't know about you but this would be my 'caretaker' ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

Gazza22 wrote: »
    HE? I don't know about you but this would be my 'caretaker' ;)

Jesus, what the hell was I thinking? You're right Gazza, of course. And for the record, there'll be no boxer shorts now that we've reduced the gender-pool of our future caretaker. There'll be no clothes of any description, except maybe a butt plug to protect against the possibility that the caretaker is a hermaphrodite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thedolemoocher

Highsider wrote: »
    Emm 7% of 204.80 a week is'nt 7 euro mate.

Unemployment benefits are cutting 10 % off so you are left with

€20.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theforeigner

You'll just end up on boreds. :D

There's a friend of mine who thinks that having a job takes your freedom AWAY nothing more nothing less.
    He is very quiet and VERY AGGRESSIVE at times (some people would say he is a depressed LOSER) when he is asked something like: why dont you get a job? his reply to that is: i dont want a job.

He is then asked Why?

His reply again would be:

I dont want to be on someone elses time clock
    I dont want to be told how many holidays i can take a year
    I dolnt want to be slaving away for the rest of my life
    I dont want to die old with PENNIES
    I DEFINITELY DONT to be getting up in the morning for someone else
    whether or not you are payed well and then excepting paycuts then 40 years later you sit back and CROKE IT and have NOTHING to show for it
    SO WHAT'S THE POINT?

What a life wasted that is.

That would be his reply to that paticular question if you know what i mean.

The only thing he does with himself when he gets out of bed at about 12 or 1 0 clock in the day (sometimes LATER) he just smokes hash and browses on the internet every day of the week and dosent regret one second of not having a job

Any suggestions from anyone PLEASE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Quotin' from page 1 in this thread:
    Peared wrote: »
    The difference between the minumum wage and dole in a lot of cases is dignity imo.

Dignity? I'd consider working a servile job for a pittance to be quite undignified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zillah wrote: »
    Quotin' from page 1 in this thread:

Dignity? I'd consider working a servile job for a pittance to be quite undignified.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Live in another country that's cheaper to live in and fly back here once a month to sign on, seems quite popular now days.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone who's on the dole in the current climate and doesnt need to be should be deported or culled, tbh.

Ghost thread revived.

Doesn't need to be ?

Deported ?

Culled ?

So because of the ineptness of our economies downturn our unemployed are either not looking for work as there is plenty of jobs out there but the 200,000 unemployed in the last year must have made these jobs ?

Or illegal immigrants ?

Or seals ?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

galwayrush wrote: »
    Live in another country that's cheaper to live in and fly back here once a month to sign on, seems quite popular now days.:rolleyes:

But what if your afraid of flying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There are jobs out there. There's a load being advertised in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

banquo wrote: »
    There are jobs out there. There's a load being advertised in Dublin City Centre.

You find me a job that is not advertising/selling tickets or **** promotional work which allows you work evenings or weekends and I will pay you 50 euro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Venom wrote: »
    But what if your afraid of flying :(

Feck, always a snag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Where?

I bet you can't answer one place that is looking for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

There isn't 400000+ jobs out there though ...Maybe when the construction industry totally fails and theres 600k unemployed you will spout this shiz ? Companies are loving this recession.Sack the higher earners and get away with replacing them with minimum wage agency workers immigrants maybe ?. Unions mean what now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

Yes Caoimhin, everyone on the dole is there because they want to be, it has nothing to do with the fact that there are feck all jobs, that the little jobs there are, are taken up by people that are over educated and over skilled for it. If I had the choice I would be a millionaire...

Yea, your right, but if you want to give up 100 euro so quickly, give it to me, i'd gladly take it.

You must be MAD to do that mate for 40 hours a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

I'm glad i came across this thread because being unemployed and choosing between being on the dole and a minimum wage job has been on my mind recently.

First off let me say that I have a 2:1 law degree, I have worked every summer since i was 16 and pretty much constantly since I left college. I was extremely lucky and got some great experience, and even got a three month internship abroad which ended in Jan 09. Unfortunately when I came back, there were no jobs. I hummed and hahhed about it, but eventually decided to move back with my parents until i finally found something. After a month or two I decided to go on the dole. Fact is, Ive paid taxes, my parents have three other kids to support and put through college and Im not going to prioritise my pride over my parents finances. I was on the dole all summer and it was pretty humiliating.

As you can imagine I sent out cvs to every law firm in town, applied for secretarial jobs, receptionist jobs and I got nada in response. So I started applying for everything else, luckily I got a job. Its minimum wage and I work nights and its tough but its such a relief to be employed again.

Now Im in a tough position, I have my final FE1 to sit. If I fail I have to wait another year to enter Blackhall place. There is no way they will offer me more than a week off at work (I know because we've been through it before), so Im pretty sure Im going to have to quit my job. This means giving up my job and going back on the dole. This is less than ideal but Im not going to waste another year of my life to hang on to a minimum wage job.

So to explain why i gave my spiel: I guess what Im trying to say...is that there are people who really are going through a rough patch. I used to judge people who went on the dole, but now i would say don't judge these people too harshly until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Rather than being lazy, they may just be sticking to their guns rather than grabbing the first job that came their way. Being unemployed is not necessarily a cozy option for them, but them swallowing their pride to achieve their long term goals.

I think that Im going to contribute to society more in the long run as a lawyer than working as a cashier (in tax at the very least) so I think Im doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I think that Im going to contribute to society more in the long run as a lawyer than working as a cashier (in tax at the very least) so I think Im doing the right thing.

Ahem, contribute :eek: is that what you call it???

Have you actually asked for more time off or are you assuming they will not give you it.

I think your FE1 is much more important than the temporary sanity the min wage job is giving you. The economy will pick up again and you'd be better off ready to work as a solicitor when it does than slogging about the night shift for €320 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

How long before it picks up?i think its going to slide down another bit more and it will be 5 years if we are lucky before it picks up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Minimum wage jobs never increased my self worth.
    But then that entire summer I spent drunk on the dole didnt increase my self worth either.
    But the summer was a lot more fun than the minimum wage job.
    I guess it all depends on how much you like drinking and how much you hate work.

yeah, work is the curse of the drinking classes

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

The dole and it's benefits shoud be means tested and more secure. Take Black person (typical, i know:rolleyes:) for instance that sponged 90k out of our social welfare system recently and wasn't penalized. Not even did they have to pay it back!

i suppose if somebody said anything or tried to get them to pay it back they'd be a racist.

good old modern day hippy lefty soft Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

gerry28 wrote: »
    Ahem, contribute :eek: is that what you call it???

Have you actually asked for more time off or are you assuming they will not give you it.

I think your FE1 is much more important than the temporary sanity the min wage job is giving you. The economy will pick up again and you'd be better off ready to work as a solicitor when it does than slogging about the night shift for €320 a week

You raise an excellent point, I'll ask her for a two day week and see what she says.

Lol I hope to be the kind of solicitor that will 'contribute' to society and not just in taxes. That comment was just a reference to whatever i get if i go back on the dole now I will more than pay back when i qualify through taxes.
    I don't like taking social welfare when the economy is in bad shape and that was me trying to justify it to myself i suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement