Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Wage; Are you better off on the dole?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Live in another country that's cheaper to live in and fly back here once a month to sign on, seems quite popular now days.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone who's on the dole in the current climate and doesnt need to be should be deported or culled, tbh.

Ghost thread revived.

Doesn't need to be ?

Deported ?

Culled ?

So because of the ineptness of our economies downturn our unemployed are either not looking for work as there is plenty of jobs out there but the 200,000 unemployed in the last year must have made these jobs ?

Or illegal immigrants ?

Or seals ?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

galwayrush wrote: »
    Live in another country that's cheaper to live in and fly back here once a month to sign on, seems quite popular now days.:rolleyes:

But what if your afraid of flying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

There are jobs out there. There's a load being advertised in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

banquo wrote: »
    There are jobs out there. There's a load being advertised in Dublin City Centre.

You find me a job that is not advertising/selling tickets or **** promotional work which allows you work evenings or weekends and I will pay you 50 euro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Venom wrote: »
    But what if your afraid of flying :(

Feck, always a snag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Where?

I bet you can't answer one place that is looking for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

There isn't 400000+ jobs out there though ...Maybe when the construction industry totally fails and theres 600k unemployed you will spout this shiz ? Companies are loving this recession.Sack the higher earners and get away with replacing them with minimum wage agency workers immigrants maybe ?. Unions mean what now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

Yes Caoimhin, everyone on the dole is there because they want to be, it has nothing to do with the fact that there are feck all jobs, that the little jobs there are, are taken up by people that are over educated and over skilled for it. If I had the choice I would be a millionaire...

Yea, your right, but if you want to give up 100 euro so quickly, give it to me, i'd gladly take it.

You must be MAD to do that mate for 40 hours a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

I'm glad i came across this thread because being unemployed and choosing between being on the dole and a minimum wage job has been on my mind recently.

First off let me say that I have a 2:1 law degree, I have worked every summer since i was 16 and pretty much constantly since I left college. I was extremely lucky and got some great experience, and even got a three month internship abroad which ended in Jan 09. Unfortunately when I came back, there were no jobs. I hummed and hahhed about it, but eventually decided to move back with my parents until i finally found something. After a month or two I decided to go on the dole. Fact is, Ive paid taxes, my parents have three other kids to support and put through college and Im not going to prioritise my pride over my parents finances. I was on the dole all summer and it was pretty humiliating.

As you can imagine I sent out cvs to every law firm in town, applied for secretarial jobs, receptionist jobs and I got nada in response. So I started applying for everything else, luckily I got a job. Its minimum wage and I work nights and its tough but its such a relief to be employed again.

Now Im in a tough position, I have my final FE1 to sit. If I fail I have to wait another year to enter Blackhall place. There is no way they will offer me more than a week off at work (I know because we've been through it before), so Im pretty sure Im going to have to quit my job. This means giving up my job and going back on the dole. This is less than ideal but Im not going to waste another year of my life to hang on to a minimum wage job.

So to explain why i gave my spiel: I guess what Im trying to say...is that there are people who really are going through a rough patch. I used to judge people who went on the dole, but now i would say don't judge these people too harshly until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Rather than being lazy, they may just be sticking to their guns rather than grabbing the first job that came their way. Being unemployed is not necessarily a cozy option for them, but them swallowing their pride to achieve their long term goals.

I think that Im going to contribute to society more in the long run as a lawyer than working as a cashier (in tax at the very least) so I think Im doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I think that Im going to contribute to society more in the long run as a lawyer than working as a cashier (in tax at the very least) so I think Im doing the right thing.

Ahem, contribute :eek: is that what you call it???

Have you actually asked for more time off or are you assuming they will not give you it.

I think your FE1 is much more important than the temporary sanity the min wage job is giving you. The economy will pick up again and you'd be better off ready to work as a solicitor when it does than slogging about the night shift for €320 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

How long before it picks up?i think its going to slide down another bit more and it will be 5 years if we are lucky before it picks up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Minimum wage jobs never increased my self worth.
    But then that entire summer I spent drunk on the dole didnt increase my self worth either.
    But the summer was a lot more fun than the minimum wage job.
    I guess it all depends on how much you like drinking and how much you hate work.

yeah, work is the curse of the drinking classes

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

The dole and it's benefits shoud be means tested and more secure. Take Black person (typical, i know:rolleyes:) for instance that sponged 90k out of our social welfare system recently and wasn't penalized. Not even did they have to pay it back!

i suppose if somebody said anything or tried to get them to pay it back they'd be a racist.

good old modern day hippy lefty soft Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 galwaybetty

gerry28 wrote: »
    Ahem, contribute :eek: is that what you call it???

Have you actually asked for more time off or are you assuming they will not give you it.

I think your FE1 is much more important than the temporary sanity the min wage job is giving you. The economy will pick up again and you'd be better off ready to work as a solicitor when it does than slogging about the night shift for €320 a week

You raise an excellent point, I'll ask her for a two day week and see what she says.

Lol I hope to be the kind of solicitor that will 'contribute' to society and not just in taxes. That comment was just a reference to whatever i get if i go back on the dole now I will more than pay back when i qualify through taxes.
    I don't like taking social welfare when the economy is in bad shape and that was me trying to justify it to myself i suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement