Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Maps for Garmin 255W. ??? (Florida)

Options
  • 07-01-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I recently got an Xmas present of the above mentioned Sat. Nav.
    It has full European maps but no USA.
    I am going on holiday to Florida and it would be very handy if I could somehow get NAVTEQ map of Fl. Is there any open source maps that will work via sd card slot on Garmin devices. ??
    Any tips or advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

speedbird1 wrote: »
    I recently got an Xmas present of the above mentioned Sat. Nav.
    It has full European maps but no USA.
    I am going on holiday to Florida and it would be very handy if I could somehow get NAVTEQ map of Fl. Is there any open source maps that will work via sd card slot on Garmin devices. ??
    Thanks

The US Navteq Mapping formatted by Garmin for their devices is available on SD card from all Garmin suppliers. Suitable mapping is only available from Garmin and you can only get North America as a whole not individual states. Have a read here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58430030&postcount=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are several sources of varying quality maps available for Garmin units. One of which can be found here but they do not yet have any maps generated for the US:
    http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

speedbird1 wrote: »

Thanks

You can download a 2.1GB world map of openstreetmap data here

You can check online here to see if the detail is good enough before you download the big file. You will need Mapsource to be able select the maps you want and send them to your gps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

IrlJidel wrote: »
    You can download a 2.1GB world map of openstreetmap data here

You can check online here to see if the detail is good enough before you download the big file. You will need Mapsource to be able select the maps you want and send them to your gps.

Thank you for the link, the detail looks good' now all I have to do is find out how to import to sd card for use on the Garmin 255. I did consider buying 2008 Garmin US Maps for sale on ebay in the form of dvd. I am sure they can be transfered to an SD card and used, what do u think.????
    Thanks again

Advertisement