Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wire - Seasons 1 - 3 @ €10 each, Season 4 @ €12 [BangCD]

• 07-01-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

Just to bring your attention to a post by johnp here - this really deserves a thread of it's own.

BangCD.com are selling the dual-coded Region 2 / 4 copies of seasons 1 - 4 of 'The Wire' for €12.80. Free delivery too so should work out at €51.20 for the first 4 seasons.

Season 1
    Season 2
    Season 3
    Season 4

Great value it must be said!

EDIT: Tip from bkrangle:

works out slightly cheaper if you pay in sterling (£9.99)

just click UK flag near top right

And you also get a £1 voucher when you sign up as a new member.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

fantastic price .i have bought from them before not the quickest delivery but it will be within 2weeks.best tv show around imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

cheers for the post. great programme

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

great deal either way, ordered seasons 2, 3 and 4 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Quality. Cheers to johnp and basquille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Thnaks for that i've been dying to get my hands on these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Thanks OP:D

bkrangle wrote: »

great deal either way, ordered seasons 2, 3 and 4 last week

that works out at €42.80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Now I have no excuse to not start watching the wire. Got season 1 and 2 for €22 delivered when I paid in sterling, bargain! Cheers OP!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's worth mentioning you get a £1 voucher for registering as a new customer..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It's the white middle class college kid's favourite show.

They all seem to like it.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning you get a £1 voucher for registering as a new customer..
    this is the thread that just keeps giving:)

jayteecork wrote:
    It's the white middle class college kid's favourite show.
    Nonsene... it's "anyone who takes the time to sit down and watch it" favourite show.

And it's because it's absolutely fucking excellent - it's a brillantly crafted show full of top-notch performances and has got so many interweaving and complex storylines going on at once that it's no wonder it's so acclaimed and loved by dedicated TV viewers.

You cant take your Entourage, The Sopranos, Brotherhood (etc) - this blows each of them outta the water!

It's not for the casual viewer.. and it's not easy to "get into" either but it's rewarding television of the highest degree.

But don't believe me... watch the excellent Charlie Brooker's take on the show:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

haha nothing bad should ever be said about the Wire. One of the best tv series of all time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Ordered series 1 & 2 and used the 1 pound voucher. Hope its as good as you say. Cheers OP & Basquille

Ha... found it even cheaper through a link on AVForums.com.

DVDCrave.com are selling seasons 1 - 4 for $16.80 AUD (Australian Dollars) or £7.23 (British Sterling) each.

Season 1 - http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=19626
    Season 2 - http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=46179
    Season 3 - http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=44455
    Season 4 - http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=44456

Added the four seasons to my cart and with air mail shipping, total was $61.80 AUD or £35.55. Now I'm not sure what the deal with paying is as it showed totals in AUD and sterling.. but here's the kicker:

If you pay in Sterling - £35.55 = €39.50..
    If you pay in AUD - $61.80 = roughly €32.50!

So €32.50 for 4 seasons of The Wire.. BARRRGAIN!

SEE EDIT BELOW!

The only problem is they'd be shipped out of Australia and would be liable for customs charges.

EDIT: Made a mistake by forgetting to include shipping... works out at $75.08 AUD (or just under €40).

Just popped off an e-mail to DVD Crave saying the following:
    Dear Sir / Madam,

Am in Ireland and am about to order seasons 1 - 4 of The Wire from DVDCrave. Just have 3 questions:

1) When you charge my credit card, do you charge in British Sterling (which is roughly indicated) or Australian Dollars (which is more likely I'd imagine)?
    2) Is the price of the product indicated on the outside of the box? As could be liable to extra charges and customs when it reaches Irish shores.
    3) On the international shipping page, you state "Please note: Any orders with 10 Discs or more, will be shipped via UPS. If you do not wish to pay the extra costs of the UPS Express Service. Please separate your orders.". Since I'm ordering 4 seperate boxsets together (each with roughly 5 discs), is this liable to the above? Or is it only liable when it's 10 discs in one item (like a large collectors edition boxset like an Angel or Buffy boxset consisting of a number of seasons in one box for example)?

Many thanks in advance.

Got a reply back less than 15 minutes later saying:
    Welcome! Your credit card will be charged in Australian dollars and We mark
    the boxes as a gift and a value of $30.

It should say - Any order with a "ship weight" of 10 are sent via UPS. A
    ship weight of 1 means 1 single dvd case. A ship weight of 2 is 2 single dvd
    cases or a double dvd case and so on. The Wire seasons are only single cases
    for each season so your order will only be a ship weight of 4.

Please note, that we are launching a new site by the end of the month so
    there will be a few changes to our site including shipping costs and
    weights.

Thank you for your enquiry.
    So looks like all is good.. replied back and asked her:
    Regarding the new site being launched at the end of the month, would you suggest I wait and buy the DVD's then? Will the shipping costs be any cheaper? Can't see how as they're very cheap right now - well, Air Mail is - UPS is always that bit more expensive.
    But to be honest... shipping costs are quite impressive at $14 AUD (or €7.30) now and can't see it or The Wire boxsets getting any cheaper.

Ordering now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Sounds good but I notice that according to their website the DVD is only region 4? I may be missing something here apart from playing them on a region free DVD player of course.

Region4 DVD
    (Australia; Oceania; Central and South America; Caribbean; Mexico)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

have season 2 on dvd cause i downloaded season 1 and couldnt wait for season 2 to download had to have it right away. Buying them all now best show ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Good lord thats great value. Almost annoyed I just ordered season 1 from the first link (in euro, without the £1 off... but anyway).

These seem to be region 4 discs EDIT:FROM DVDCRAVE, which may be a problem for people.

EDIT 2: basquille reckons they're probably dual encoded, despite it not saying this on the site, so I dunno

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Am currently addicted to the Wire (finished Season 4 tonight - the strongest yet) and have picked up all the Seasons in HMV, but at these prices anyone who has any curiosity whatsoever should pick these up. As basquille said, The Wire is beyond any other show that has ever existed - a show that does not treat the viewer like an idiot, huge numbers of deep and interesting characters / storylines, and overall an epic, multi-layered narrative exploring one modern city.

Definitely a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

F*cking hell that's a steal.

quite possibly the best TV series ever made.

Regarding the Region 4 rumour, I read a few posts saying they're simply dual-coded Region 2 / 4, similar to the ones on BangCD (even though they don't note it on DVDCrave).

I can't confirm as of yet... and I'm waiting to hear back from DVDCrave on how much insurance is (as you have the option to add it, but no indication on how much).

Got a response from DVDCrave who said they can't confirm what effect the new site will have on shipping costs as their supervisor (who is still on holidays) is sorting that out but she did say "They may be raised but I cannot say by how much.".

EDIT: It's also worth noting that my cheaper price I quoted above ($61.08 AUD / €32) which I thought was a mistake may not be such a mistake. When I logged into my account (indicates I'm an international customer), the prices reduced as they took off the GST (a tax that applies to Australian orders). So $75 became $61.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

just bought them all from the OP link. paid in sterling with the 1 pound voucher. worked out at 43euro including shipping... have to say it is indeed a bargain. now if someone can locate a link to season five for a similiar bargain price we'd all be hooked:0)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Thanks for the info... just ordered seasons 1-4.

Just to let ye know... took the plunge and ordered seasons 1 - 4 from DVDCrave. Cost me $75.08 or just under €40. Didn't bother with insurance of about €4.

1 x DVD - Wire Season 3 (AUD $15.27 Exc. GST)
    1 x DVD - Wire Season 4 (AUD $15.27 Exc. GST)
    1 x DVD - Wire The Complete First Season (5 Disc) (AUD $15.27 Exc. GST)
    1 x DVD - Wire The Season 2 (AUD $15.27 Exc. GST)

Shipping Method: Priority Air Mail

Shipping: AUD $14.00
    Insurance: AUD $0.00
    Total: AUD $75.08 Exc. GST
    GST Included in Total: AUD $0.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yeah Ive just done the same basq, This show looks pretty good and its defo worth a shot for this kind of money!
    Thanks basq.
    One thing I found strange about that site though.. On the page after you enter cc details it actually shows you a page containing your name, address, cc number, expiry and cvv.. just a bit dodgy if someone decided to hijack the site..

Edit: Just a heads up for any new customers to Dvdcrave, I just got this from them, so in case you need this in a hurry bangcd would probably be faster.
    Dear Valued Customer,

Welcome! We have received your order at DVDCrave.com. To begin supplying you, we are obligated to ensure that you are authorised to use the credit card submitted. We have a fast and simple process to make this possible.

This security check procedure is done for all first orders paid by credit card order and any subsequent orders using a different credit card. For our Australian customers, we do offer Direct Deposit as another payment form. This payment method does not require our security checks to be performed.

We will process a random amount under $10 to the card. Once you are able to confirm the amount we have charged to the card, we are happy to process the order. Please note that this amount will be deducted from the value of your order.

You should be able to see the amount we have charged to your card within 24 hours using internet banking. Otherwise, simply call your bank and they will be able to help you find out the amount.

Please reply to this email with the amount we have charged to your card - in Australian dollars - and if the amount is correct, we will release your order for processing. A currency conversion site such as http://www.ozforex.com.au/ will be able to help you with conversion rates.

You will have 5 days to verify this amount before your order is cancelled. However, if you are having trouble finding the amount, just send us an email and we will put a note on your order not to cancel.

We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your co-operation. Our customers security is our number one priority. This is our way of keeping our customers and our business safe from credit card fraud.
    Kind Regards,

Customer Service
    Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm AEST

Ph: 1300 885 381 (Australian Customers)
    Ph: +61 7 5556 1869 (International Customers)
    Email: service@dvdcrave.com
    www.dvdcrave.com
    Satisfying your hunger for Games and DVDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jesus i love this forum :D

Unfortunately I'm broke as fook :(

Redisle wrote: »
    One thing I found strange about that site though.. On the page after you enter cc details it actually shows you a page containing your name, address, cc number, expiry and cvv.. just a bit dodgy if someone decided to hijack the site..
    Yeah, the whole check-out / payment stage was done over SSL with 128 bit encryption though. Wouldn't be too worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

To be honest now that I think about it, I'm gonna cancel my order at DVDCrave cos I've no guarantee they're Region 2 & 4 dual-coded.

And my only multi-region DVD player is my original XBox which is hooked up to a 21" CRT - would rather watch it on my 360 / PS3 hooked up to my 37" LCD.

So for the sake of a couple of euro, gonna re-order them at BangCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

Thanks to Johnp and Basquille for this - have been looking to get these for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Halfway through season 1 at the moment. And 24 is starting up again (season 7) on Sky on Monday. What a dilemma. I just can't let myself spend so much time in front of the TV.

Having said that, anyone got a bargain alert for microwave popcorn... and maybe a beer fridge? ;)

EDIT: Season 2, 3 and 4 ordered, thanks OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ordered them from Bang, Total Price : £38.96

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

zAbbo wrote: »
    Ordered them from Bang, Total Price : £38.96

Same here. Great spot OP! Seen all 4 seasons but it's a great one to have in the collection. Great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Nice one guys. I watched the first 2 seasons years back as they came out. Real gritty stuff!
    Never got around to the last 3 seasons cause I missed and episode in season 3 and my rapidshare account ran out... :(
    Now for the price of a few hours work I can have them all in dvd quality, how bad like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

If I didn't own them all already I'd be jumping on this great offer as well. By far the best tv show ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

Absolutely fantastic, what a bargain!

Many thanks to OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Going to order series 3 and 4 using another email address to get another £1 off. Only will come in a couple of euro more than the cheaper offer. One could open 4 different accounts and get £1 off each season.
    As I said before I have never seen the wire so am trusting the opinion of Basquille and the other wise boardsies.:)

lindtee wrote: »
    Going to order series 3 and 4 using another email address to get another £1 off. Only will come in a couple of euro more than the cheaper offer. One could open 4 different accounts and get £1 off each season.
    As I said before I have never seen the wire so am trusting the opinion of Basquille and the other wise boardsies.:)

I have them all on my external hard drive.

jayteecork wrote: »
    I have them all on my external hard drive.
    Can we please save family comments or conversations to PM's / phone calls with each other / e-mail etc. ;)

This is not the place!

Muchó gracias!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I've just ordered season 2,3 & 4.You can actually pay with your laser card instead of your credit card but you have to select in euro to pay with laser.
    It works out slightly more expensive in euro but you have to take in to account your paying interest on your credit card and not on your laser.The £1 voucher works out a €1.27 when you pay in euro.
    Absolutely brilliant show but I still don't think its as good as the Soprano's but that's just my opinion,each to their own.:rolleyes:

PWEI wrote: »
    I've just ordered season 2,3 & 4.You can actually pay with your laser card instead of your credit card but you have to select in euro to pay with laser.
    It works out slightly more expensive in euro but you have to take in to account your paying interest on your credit card and not on your laser.The £1 voucher works out a €1.27 when you pay in euro.
    Absolutely brilliant show but I still don't think its as good as the Soprano's but that's just my opinion,each to their own.:rolleyes:

So BangCD accepts laser?
    must take a look.

Got my order cancelled at DVDCrave so i'm gonna order them from BangCD now.

The only problem is there's a couple of threads around the web dedicated to this particular offer (e.g AVForums, HUKD, MoneySavingExperts) as it has been available since the middle of December. And all the threads have a common theme - people who ordered on the back when the offer was launched are all still yet to recieve theirs (like johnp whose Season 1 hasn't been despatched yet).
    Mine was originally due for dispatch 29th December, then it was amended to 5th January .... so far it is still not showing as having been dispatched. With ericthelobster saying FX are showing it next month, I'm starting to get tempted to cancel my order.
    I haven't got mine yet either!
    They've taken the money as well!
    Has anyone actually received these from BangCD?

I ordered series 1 and 2 on 19 December - had an estimated shipment date of 29 December.

Nothing's arrived as yet (CC's been charged though) - just showing an estimated shipment date of 5 January 2009 as of today (8 January 2009)
    Anyone received their's yet?
    Not yet, though I guess for the price we'll be lucky to see it by Easter!

So the wait from BangCD might be even longer than the one from DVDCrave who, to be honest, have probably the quickest-to-reply and extremely helpful customer service I've ever dealt with.

its still a great price especially if you have seen them before the wait wont be too bad

yabadabado wrote: »
    its still a great price especially if you have seen them before the wait wont be too bad
    Here's hoping they honour them... and not go down the CDWOW route of being "unable to source more stock from suppliers".

I'll regret cancelling with DVD Crave then. Haven't ordered with BangCD yet as is it me or is the euro-sterling rate a fair bit weaker than it was this time last week? Was it not up on 94p last week.. it's down at 90p now. Will see if I get a better rate by weekend.. a saving's a saving. Might only be small but still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Thanks OP
    4 box-sets = GBP 39.96 = EUR 44.40 on my credit card statement.

Current status is 'Awaiting Shipment 15 Jan'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭aidz

thx op
    just bought the first 2 series for £19. that should fill my january weekend viewing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

So has everybody who ordered The Wire from bangcd got an estimated shipping date of the 16th? I'm so pi*sed off I ordered from them now,If I'd known they actually didn't have any in stock I wouldn't have bothered even at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My 4 boxsets are also showing a shipping date of Jan 15th.
    No panic as I'm in no rush for them - I've enough to keep me entertained
    for months as it is. At this price they're a serious bargain, Irish shops
    are charging €30 on average for each boxset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Mine says 15th, i have a feeling it'll be pushed back again though, But not particularly bothered

• Advertisement
Advertisement