Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering issue

Options
  • 07-01-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Just looking for a little help.
    Having some wee issues with the steering on my Punto. 3 times in the last 2 months or so, when I have turned the wheel fully locked to the left while driving, my power steering has cut out. It just takes me turning off my engine and back on again and it comes back.
    Did a test this evening (in safe conditions!) and noticed that there is a very slight drift to the left also when driving on a straight road.

I assume it's some problem within my steering column. Are the two problems linked, or independent of each other?
    Anyone any idea how much this would cost to fix?
    It's a 2001 Fiat Punto (standard model).

Thanks in advance

Fi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

2 different problems here. Your tracking is slightly off that is why your car is pulling to the left. Very easy to knock the tracking off.....hitting a pothole can do it!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that to get the tracking sorted, you can bring your car to the likes of quick fit and they will have the machine to do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The power steering pump in that is electric as far as I know, so its probably something to do with that. Its not as complicated as an engine run pump.
    About the car going of to the left you need tracking just as Bryn said;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Cool cool.
    Thanking you kindly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Power steering is electric alright.

Advertisement