Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clubing and track quality

• 07-01-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

im djing for the first time in a club next week, got a set list made out, only thing is, one of the tracks is only 192 kbps. that going to sound **** out of the sound system and should i take it out?

soooound

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

im djing for the first time in a club next week, got a set list made out, only thing is, one of the tracks is only 192 kbps. that going to sound **** out of the sound system and should i take it out?

soooound

itll be fine man,dont get too bogged down in **** like that.people will more than likely come along andsay they can tell the difference but in a club enviroment almost noone will be able to(unless its an incredibly bad copy).
    i play 192s all the time against 320 and its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends entirely on the quality of the encoder

Can you hear any artefacting (breaking up of audio, missing notes, hiss, ringing - can be a huge range of 'broken' stuff in bad mp3s)? If not, go for it.

I've heard my lent copy of Rank 1 - Airwave burnt from a (bought!) 192k mp3 on a very good club sound system (Cruisicin Lan in Cork) before and I'd not have been able to distinguish it from the CD.

I'd be more concerned about the set listing, you've gotta be able to adapt to the floor ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭fionntang

8/10 in a nightclub will not notice if you played a 96kb vs a 320kb ,granted there'll be a wealth of difference especially depending on the sound system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

MYOB wrote: »

I'd be more concerned about the set listing, you've gotta be able to adapt to the floor ;)
    yeah was gonna say somnething about that also but didnt want it to tur into an epic preplanned set thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

no no, to be honest, ive listened to a 320 track and then this 198 one and i cant tell the difference. ill give it a shot all the same!

as far as the set listing, its just a small club which will prob be filled half with friends from my course (theres like 200 in my class) so ive been getting LOADS of requests, all of similar taste so im grand for tracks :P

while im here, any tips of first live gig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Will you be using your own gear or stuff supplied with the venue?
    Always worth finding out what they're using, and if you can't at least get a go on it beforehand, you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the mixer etc beforehand.

I once bought the vinyl copy of what I though was a badly encoded 192k MP3 (Popowaba), but it turns out it was just a poorly mastered tune.
    It'll sound fine dude, if it sounds alright at home it should sound good on a bigger rig.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm sure it will be fine its just one track, but why don't you just try to find it online and downlaod ti at 320kbs?

tman wrote: »
    Will you be using your own gear or stuff supplied with the venue?
    Always worth finding out what they're using, and if you can't at least get a go on it beforehand, you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the mixer etc beforehand.

bit of both, mixer will be theres, and ill be using my own laptop for now. havnt got decks yet, but will be making the move as soon as i get the funds.

was there last night actually, 2 cdj1000's 2 technics mixers, and an input from a lap top with a 5 Chanel mixer. set up sounded grand, my mate was djing there and he had played a track or two at lower quality, and i couldnt tell the difference so i reckon its going to be grand!
    Zascar wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be fine its just one track, but why don't you just try to find it online and downlaod ti at 320kbs?

could do that, but just wondering if it was worth it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It would probably take about 2 minutes to find it... Give it a shot.

Sods law you play one slightly lower quality track and you have some vinyl loving retard coming up to you preaching about how digital is sh1t...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

no no, to be honest, ive listened to a 320 track and then this 198 one and i cant tell the difference. ill give it a shot all the same!

as far as the set listing, its just a small club which will prob be filled half with friends from my course (theres like 200 in my class) so ive been getting LOADS of requests, all of similar taste so im grand for tracks :P

while im here, any tips of first live gig?

most important thing i cud tell ya is have good headphones man, its a big difference for the first time mixing in a club on a big system, when monitoring you could get a bit of a shock (i did big time) the sound outside your phones can seem delayed etc depending on the amount of speakers or how good your monitor is (if ya even have one hehehe), the best bits of advice i was given was have good lids and learn to mix using just them (on both your ears like). Unfortunately i got told this after trainwreckin half my first gig ooops (had no monitor tho). If ya can do that you dont really need to care what goin on outside until ya have everyting tight as a nuns *****. I see your using a laptop if your on ableton this wont really be an issue but otherwise i think it would be the main thing. And i wouldnt worry too much at the moment about the setlist thing, id say it will help ya first time out to have some structure worked out before hand, i wouldnt worry too much bout the crowd reading thingy just yet either (besides in my opinion the only place you can properly learn that is from behind them decks), the more gigs ya do it will come easier. Just my opinion tho.......good luck dude enjoy yourself

• Advertisement

sound man ill take note of that! headphone wise ive got a grand set, so im happy with em, got a monitor in the booth too so its grand! thanks man, and all who inputed :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Zascar wrote: »
    It would probably take about 2 minutes to find it... Give it a shot.

Sods law you play one slightly lower quality track and you have some vinyl loving retard coming up to you preaching about how digital is sh1t...

:eek: Burn him!!! Thats it, I'm off to set up... erm, beards.ie :pac:

Advertisement