Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeper hill

• 07-01-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hope i got the right county, keeper hill is in tipperary isn't it??

Just wanna know is it possible to drive up it in a family car??

Is there restrictions??

Thx S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭joeali101

you can drive up 80 % of the way but the last 20% you need to walk unless you have a 4x4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭phog

fryup wrote: »
    Hope i got the right county, keeper hill is in tipperary isn't it??

Just wanna know is it possible to drive up it in a family car??

Is there restrictions??

Thx S.
    joeali101 wrote: »
    you can drive up 80 % of the way but the last 20% you need to walk unless you have a 4x4

While it may be possible to drive up 80% of the way I think members of the public aren't supposed to pass the car park in their vehicles.

phog wrote: »
    While it may be possible to drive up 80% of the way I think members of the public aren't supposed to pass the car park in their vehicles.
    I run up around that area regularly but i've never seen any signs to that effect and I've never been challenged.I usually park my car at the Doonane woods car park ,as you head up the road splits in two,if you take the right turn towards the quarry,if you continue to follow this road you will eventually come to a locked barrier .
    If, however you take the left turn then the second right and then third left,it bypasses the barrier and takes you up to the rough track that leads to the summit,spectacular view by the way,well worth the walk.
    I've often met several cars parked at the bottom of the track that leads to the top so I presume there's no issue with people driving up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:( Scenic areas are for walking, not driving a 4x4 up them. Have some consideration for other users who go the the car park at Keeper to get in a walk.Incidentally take any valuables with you as I have heard of break-ins to the cars on Sundays.

I run up around that area regularly but i've never seen any signs to that effect and I've never been challenged.I usually park my car at the Doonane woods car park ,as you head up the road splits in two,if you take the right turn towards the quarry,if you continue to follow this road you will eventually come to a locked barrier .
    If, however you take the left turn then the second right and then third left,it bypasses the barrier and takes you up to the rough track that leads to the summit,spectacular view by the way,well worth the walk.
    I've often met several cars parked at the bottom of the track that leads to the top so I presume there's no issue with people driving up there.

You don't see signs at the bottom of my driveway either but it's not open for joe public to drive along willy nilly. BTW, for someone who actually uses for running I find it strange that you're encouraging people to start driving up the hill instead of using it for walks as nature intended.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    You don't see signs at the bottom of my driveway either but it's not open for joe public to drive along willy nilly. BTW, for someone who actually uses for running I find it strange that you're encouraging people to start driving up the hill instead of using it for walks as nature intended.

Not encouraging people to start driving up it,just replying to another posters question:)

Not encouraging people to start driving up it,just replying to another posters question:)

Ok, you didn't encourage them but you certainly assisted them and I would have thought a person that uses it for jogging would prefer not to have vehicular traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

Where is this place???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

jagged wrote: »
    Where is this place???:confused:
    its near newport but after that im not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

had a go at this today, followed the Slieve Felim way for a bit as shown on the attachment.
    Didn't see any way up the hill from the path.
    Anyone done it.
    Was up there from the other side last summer and several lads just headed North-North East down the hill.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

From the looks of your track you would have needed to continue on further to meet the marked trail. A red arrow would point you in the right direction at the turn off for the summit 🙂 nothing wrong with taking the ‘by the arrow route’ though 🙂

Thanks for the image, yes I could have kept going all the way around and meet the path from the other side. May have to do that and come down the east side.

Some of the GPS traces on open street map show a more direct alternative but it looks like they have a different starting point.

Thanks for that, there is a gateway at that point on the road so will look at it next weekend, we started from the other place as there is car parking there.

ps
    is it possible to identify one of the tracks and pick up the starting coordinates?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Climbed it a couple of weeks ago, started at Ballyhourigan Woods, parked there (Doonane Car Park, Toor, Co. Tipperary)and walked up and back down the forest loop.

Parked at A at the below map, followed the loop around to C, turned off up the hill, then back down rejoined the loop.

Good pair of walking shoes recommended, though it is track all the way. Food also recommended and enough water essential.

487434.PNG

Thanks for that, there is a gateway at that point on the road so will look at it next weekend, we started from the other place as there is car parking there.

ps
    is it possible to identify one of the tracks and pick up the starting coordinates?

Couldn’t figure out how to pick out one of the tracks easily. However, the following is a link to mountainviews which is a good resource: it has a set of tracks from someone setting out from the east side and a brief description of the route.

https://mountainviews.ie/track/3407/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any reason why its called Keeper hill.

Something to do with the Williamite war perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Paddico wrote: »
    Any reason why its called Keeper hill.

Something to do with the Williamite war perhaps?

"The Gaelic name for the hill means the mountain of guarding" from here:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/ireland/north-tipperary/keeper-hill-hike

and

"It got this name in consequence of its being a place where keepers of cattle meet or met to keep their flocks" from the Archival Records link here:

https://www.logainm.ie/en/67267

Advertisement