Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barista training

• 07-01-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Ireland (i've tried google etc) that run some basic barista training for people that just want to learn the basics.

I don't want to leave my job or anything but I'm very interested in learning coffee.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you'd consider combining a week of annual leave with a course I've come across several in London with good feedback and reviews. I can post you links when I'm back on laptop-messy with boards mobile.

I believe Bewleys and Java Rep provide training here but if it was me I'd go the UK route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Reactor should set up a course in his house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Julia Murray at espressosense.ie might be worth enquiring to, not sure if she caters to the enthusiast market, but if she doesn't she'll certainly know if someone does.

@eclectic - too kind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Ha,careful now. I had similar sentiments once and it very quickly snow-balled! The london school of coffee do a course and i know matthew algie used to do the odd course in dublin but its pricey enough if your not cafe-affiliated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think one of the barista's from 'greenbeanroasters' run a one-on-one course up North and charge by an hourly rate. Worth a call if you're interested.

I was also told that Buzz from 'The Bald Barista' was going to run a course, don't know what's happening now since he moved on from there though.

• Advertisement

ch2008 wrote: »
    Ha,careful now. I had similar sentiments once and it very quickly snow-balled!

Some people don't know where to stop :pac:

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Some people don't know where to stop :pac:

Mr Kettle, we have a Mr Pot holding on line 3 for you...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Wow thanks for all that info. When you guys say training would be expensive because not being with a cafe, could you give me an idea how much? Even a rough guess?

I heard a figure of €50/60 per hr. This would be for a one-on-one type session, a group session would be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Advertisement

FinoBlad wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all that info. When you guys say training would be expensive because not being with a cafe, could you give me an idea how much? Even a rough guess?

The London School of Coffee basic course is £149, though I imagine that is towards the top range of costs. It's a one day course.
    Mr Kettle, we have a Mr Pot holding on line 3 for you...

:pac:

erm... I have no idea what you could possibly mean. :o

The Square Mile one is explicitly non-espresso, though I expect it would be excellent.

SCAE Level One Barista Course

http://www.scae.ie/calendar.htm

22nd January

€150

Again, like some of the other courses, probably overkill for a home barista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

excellent thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bean&Dunne

just a note on the SCAE course, unless your doing level two, you wont gain much from it.. its very very basic, you'd learn more online and playing at home. Not much hands on time with a machine, mostly theory.

but it might look good on your CV.. thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kandi

batchelors coffee company , offer a barrista training course in finglas. the course is overseen by "Lavazza" from Italy. in the 44th school in the world based in dublin . ph 1850323232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Greenbean Coffee Roasters offers barista training. Their coffee is excellent. I'd say the training is good too. http://www.greenbeanroasters.com/t-baristatraining.aspx

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just noticed this on the 3FE site:

"We spent the hottest day of the year planning Christmas so we’ll soon be launching info for our hampers, vouchers, training and tasting classes for gift ideas."

http://thirdfloorespresso.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I was going to start a new thread, but this is actually exactly what it would be about. Let me know if I'd be better of starting a new thread, but I think it's probably best to keep it all in the one place.

I'm looking into basic barista training to give me a good basic starter knowledge of all things espresso. I think I'm on the right road now but I think I'd enjoy a few hours learning and would be happy to take it from there myself.

I've been back and forth with Greenbean Roasters re prices for courses and they run a 3 hour course for a very reasonable price once they have enough interest (3-4 people). This is aimed at people looking to bump up their knowledge rather than actually become baristas and there's no certification at the end. It's run in Dundalk, and organised ad hoc once sufficient interest is there.

Has anyone ever taken this course, and if so, any idea what it's like?

Wasn't aware of that course.

This thread is fine btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

If it's the same 'GreenBean' that's previously operated from Cork, I'd give it a wide berth. The only thing worse than their coffee was their service.

CoffeeAngel and Third Floor Espresso would cater far better for what you're looking for. I'm sure if you mailed them, expressing your interest in a basic knowledge course, they'd be more than happy to oblige.

• Advertisement

From mailing back and forth, it seems they run 2 separate training courses, one in Banbridge, Co Down (for wholesale customer) and the other in Dundalk which I've mentioned above. Rereading the mail now, it looks like the session in Dundalk is actually for wholesale customers too, but also open to coffee at home customers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What do they charge?

3FE run a course every so often, keep an eye on their website blog..

adrian522 wrote: »
    What do they charge?

3FE run a course every so often, keep an eye on their website blog..

PM sent as prices aren't publicly advertised on the Greenbean site so I'd assume they want people to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Hi could you pm me then prices too, would be handy close to home

raytaxi wrote: »
    Hi could you pm me then prices too, would be handy close to home

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

I would be keen to this too, but it would need to last a day at least to make it worthwhile, Bawnmore if they are looking to make up the numbers for certain dates can you pm me the details ?thanks

caol ila wrote: »
    I would be keen to this too, but it would need to last a day at least to make it worthwhile, Bawnmore if they are looking to make up the numbers for certain dates can you pm me the details ?thanks

PM sent.

If there's enough interest in this, I can get in touch with Greenbean and see if they can offer a group discount for pre-assembled groups (as they usually wait until they have enough people booked in and then organize a date).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I just got a mail back from a query I sent to Bewleys.

They do a 3 hour basic course for €200. Next one in October. HQ near Clare Hall

(I notice there is a 'factory tour' included. Surely that would take up a chunk of the 3 hour course?)

Has anyone been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I just got a mail back from a query I sent to Bewleys.

They do a 3 hour basic course for €200. Next one in October. HQ near Clare Hall

(I notice there is a 'factory tour' included. Surely that would take up a chunk of the 3 hour course?)

Has anyone been?

I did it with Bewleys waaaaaay back in 2002 when there was nothing much around except the annual Matthew Algie one. Didn't realise it costed €200 but I assume it's for a group rather than individual?
    From what I remember it did include a wee tour of the factory, but the course itself was run in the factory premise anyway. There were 4 of us doing it, and it was hands on. Pretty basic though to be honest.
    I remember watching the quality control fella sipping about 9 to 10 espresso cups in front of him, thinking maaaaan he must be wired.:pac:

• Advertisement

I did the 3Fe one and it was excellent, went through a load of coffee and was cheaper than that ,125 or 150 can't remember which but that includes lunch and free coffee to take home. Probably the best option in Dublin.

Advertisement