Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless to Wireless?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey folks,

I had problems picking up wireless in the upstairs of my house so I bought what I thought was a better router. Turns out it's pretty much the same. I had an Apple Airport Extreme and the new one is a Trendnet Wireless N router.

I can pick either up on their own but my question is, is there a way to combine the 2 so that one extends the network of the other?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check the manuals for "bridging mode"

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cake126

That's what bridging is? Super news. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I am not familiar with the routers you mentioned as I usually use Linksys routers, but it sounds like you want to be able to connect the routers together wirelessly, so I am not sure that Bridging will work in this situation.

To connect two routers together wirelessly, you would typically need a special type of device called a wireless repeater, or something like. These devices don't work that well, but for a home would probably be fine. Most standard routers don't include this feature.

If you can connect them together with an Ethernet cord, then bridging would be what you were looking for. Typically, you will set one router as a 'router' and another to a 'bridge.' The 'router' would be the one plugged into the internet and the bridge would be the secondary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭macrubicon

WDS might be another way to go if you have kit from 2 different manufacturers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Bridge mode will only work if both routers support WDS.
    Another way to move broadband around the house is to use homeplugs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The airport extreme uses wds so might be worth checking the specs of the Trendnet.

Has the computer you are using got an 'N' card otherwise the benefits of the 'n' are lost.

Advertisement