Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband....all lights on but no wireless?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

hey guys...

Never have problems with this BB...always reliable..until tonight..

had connection up until 7:30....both my BB and my flatmates BB disconnected at the same time and cannot connect back to it....although..my third flatmates connection is fine?

we're puzzled to say the least....

I rang UPC , they told me that they dont cover netgear modems....so I needed to ring this tech service that was going to cost my 95cent a minute (no effing thank you).....

he thought that netgear might have launched a new update?...that it might be interfereing with the connection?...(hello?...what update kills your connection?..defeats the purpose of being able to download it..? )

Im connected via the modem directly as we speak (cable)....but I cant use it as its downstairs and I work in my room...

anyone know wha it could be?..we've done all the usual.......unplug...replug etc....

connection either times out or doesnt connect.....never had this problem before...

anyone experiencing the same?...thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi,
    Okay,
    There are three of you in the flat.
    All three of you have PC's/Laptops.
    All three of you are connecting wirelessly through a Netgear router to a UPC cable internet connection.
    One of you are still able to connect through this connection.
    The other two are not.
    I am assuming all of the above.

Does the third person by any chance have access to the netgear router and is it possible they may have changed either the security on the device or stopped all but his one machine connecting due to some issues with payment for said broadband or just for the craic?

Failing that has yourself and the other guy who cant connect changed any settings or installed and new software on yer machines just before the issues started happening?

Netgear wouldnt be able to autoupdate the router to be honest and the fact that one person is connecting okay would rule out a physical issue with the device but may point to him changing something on the router or an issue on your own and the other flatmates PC.

Kippy

EDIT:

Assuming you've digested the above and ruled it out, are you actually connecting to the wireless network? What errors are you getting?

thanks for that reply kippy....

an update from this is that the third person now can't connect at all..so all three of us cannot connect....connecting directly to the modem works but its the wireless that doesnt work....

it just doesnt connect...it just times out or no connect..there are no error messages...

none of us installed anything and Ive enough internet knowledge to know what ****s it up....what to avoid etc....

no one has the knowledge in the house maybe apart from me to go fiddling with the settings..they just use the net..thats all....none are that computer literate to do anything..

its just bizarre that it was working fine up until now.....could UPC be doing some sort of service on the wireless?......no?..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

hi, came home from work this morning and same thing
    had happened all lights on modem and router as normal...
    using upc broadband and netgear router,checked my b/fs lappie too
    same thing no connection!!!!:(
    unplugged all power to everything and waited 10,15 secs
    back to normal, no prob,try it might work...:)

Teddi,
    Did you try unplugging both the UPC modem and the netgear?
    Can you connect to the net if you connect to the wireless router using a lan cable?
    Again, what if any error messages are you getting?
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Can you get to the page http://192.168.100.1 ? That'll get you the cable modem's page.

What happens if you type ipconfig /all in a DOS prompt? Are you getting an address beginning with 10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x or are you getting one starting with 169.x.x.x?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Cable Modem is working.
    (because you can connect directly to it and reach the web)

The Netgear WiFi Router isn't working
    (because of the above, and 3 different computers can't reach the router)

I reckon the Netgear router has overheated, and lost its settings. At least mine, do occasionally, and I've seen it happen elsewhere. Just reset the Netgear router. (hold in recessed button on back with a pen or something) Then login into the router (default password and username are underneath the router) and reset the wifi settings. Then configure your laptops to match.

Right...ok...

It worked after minxie's advice to shut everything off..then reboot....

we did and it worked...Thanks minxie...

But now...again this morning, the ****ing thing wont work again!

the modem is fine, its just the router that has the problem..

I can connect via the lan cable, so I know its the wireless capablities that are having the problem..

BostonB : I could try doing that, though I'd be a bit scared I might mess something up and then not make it work at all....

Kippy: doing all of the regular trouble shooting methods dont work like Ive mentioned...there is no error message..just either that it times out, or just doesnt connect....nothing pops up alerting me of an issue.

I rang UPC and they couldnt help me as they dont look after Netgear modems and Im not ringing their 95c a minute line to have someone trouble shoot with me for ages...

could it be that it overheated Boston?..I mean I've never encountered that problem before?..

If its just the wireless part that seems to not be working it could be caused by interference from another wireless device.... http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1497111
    Has anyone recently setup a wireless TV sender for example (I've had problems with these and wireless networks before causing intermittant issues similiar to what you describe.
    When I asked about any errors I mean, is the PC showing as still connected to the wireless network or has the connection to the wireless network dropped?

ahhhh..I get you now kippy...

no...It shows signal for about a second..then disappears...and sometimes just connects for 20 seconds...then goes again......but it hasnt been working all day ....now everyone is taking turns using the cabled net!!....this cannot be kept up.

I want to reset, but worried that the cabled connection mightent work after?..

so...if I were to... I just press in at the reset button, go to 192.168.1.1...open the netgear interface , then where do I enter the username and password?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Teddi wrote: »
    ahhhh..I get you now kippy...

no...It shows signal for about a second..then disappears...and sometimes just connects for 20 seconds...then goes again......but it hasnt been working all day ....now everyone is taking turns using the cabled net!!....this cannot be kept up.

I want to reset, but worried that the cabled connection mightent work after?..

so...if I were to... I just press in at the reset button, go to 192.168.1.1...open the netgear interface , then where do I enter the username and password?.
    have you tried totally resetting router as from new???
    this link might have some answers:
    http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

as my most suggests just above..Im not entirely sure how to reset it all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Teddi wrote: »
    as my most suggests just above..Im not entirely sure how to reset it all...

Ok, in that case, I reckon you should find a mate who knows how to do this. Everyone knows someone who works in IT. Get them to do it, and show you how.

Advertisement