Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn pics, Courtown, Wexford, C+C please

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some constructive criticism please on these dawn shots I took at the weekend.

Predawn: (08:35)
    3174515611_11ca25fa7f.jpg?v=0
    Shot in raw, f10, 1/50sec, iso 200.

Dawn: (08:39)
    3174513731_b45704ff46.jpg?v=0
    Shot in raw, f22, 1/6sec, iso 100.

(click images for large versions)

They are in Courtown Wexford last Saturday from 8am onwards.
    I was shooting with a Canon 400d + sigma 10-20mm (with uv filter for protection) +tripod. I have a polariser on order and would have put that on.

I processed them last evening in photoshop. Levels below the horizon were worked seperately for the earlier shot.

I am surprised by the flare in the later shot. Is this usual for this angle at the sun? uv filter was clean. Perhaps after sea spray and a few wipes it caused this? or would happen anyway?

Do you think it would have happened at 18mm on the kit lens?

Your thoughts and advice appreciated.

I'll put my own self criticisms in later down below.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

They are nice, I like them.
    Though, as you mentioned, there is some pretty bad flare on the second one caused by the spray on the filter. (has happened to me loads of times).

I like the first one more than the second, however you could brighten the rocks on the coast as they are a bit dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

@sasar: thanks for the comments. I guess it was spray. It did look clean later on. I was only taking the cap off when ready to shoot too. Guess I'll know more with more use of this lens.

Anyone for any more? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

There nice, good job on being up and about so early on the weekend :pac:

Just ashame of the spots on the second one which kind of ruins the photo I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Gorgeous clear shots well done. Wish I had shots like that in me but i just dont feel it, you've done good.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

The spots on the lens/filter are made more obvious by using f/22, because of the huge depth of field. With such a wideangle lens, I think f/8 or thereabouts would still give a wide enough DOF for your subject and reduce the spots. I'm not sure how it would affect the flare though. Do you have any other shots containing the sun with different settings?

I still think both shots are great. Sometimes flare adds a nice bit of atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

@Mr. Grieves: thanks for the info and comments. I'll try an f8. I'll just have to get an idea of what flares and what doesn't. More practice will help.

In one way this lense type (UWA) is the least quick to adapt to using. You have to compose more carefully and keep an eye on what you're doing.

Everytime I put the viewfinder to my eye I say to myself "you can't get close enough" and walk forward a few more feet. It's really weird how you can take a pic of a massive oak tree from about 12ft away. Takes some getting used to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 broad_sword

You mentioned that if you had a polarising filter, you would have used it for this shot... to be honest, it wouldn't really make a whole pile of difference for shots like this as you are shooting directly into the sunlight. Polarising filters work best when you are shooting at right angles (or thereabouts) to the sun. Also, adding the filter would have lowered your exposure by about a stop, and in a shot like this would probably add more noise to the image especially in the dark areas.

Great shots though... and well done for getting up early! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would be proud of them shots if they were mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

First shot is very nice - well done.

Second shot looks like there is dirt on the lense but i might be mistaken on that.

Advertisement