Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving In the States

Options
  • 07-01-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

LAds, heading to boston in the next while. Looking to rant out a car when over there. Do I need a European Drivers Liscence to do so or is the bog standard full, pink irish liscence sufficient? Where and how do I get one if nescessary. Any other tips on driving in the States?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    LAds, heading to boston in the next while. Looking to rant out a car when over there. Do I need a European Drivers Liscence to do so? Where and how do I get one if nescessary. Any other tips on driving in the States?
    Thanks

Irish license is enough yeah
    No harm to get the international permit though, but most of the time cops are clueless about this document in the US. Irish/EU license is enough too to rent a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Pink License without endorsements will do you fine. The IDP is of no use. I am going to Thailand in 3 months ish and you must have one over there but I have driven in the US a few times and it is not required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Berty wrote: »
    The Pink License without endorsements will do you fine. The IDP is of no use. I am going to Thailand in 3 months ish and you must have one over there but I have driven in the US a few times and it is not required.
    Without endorsements? Really?

Random wrote: »
    Without endorsements? Really?

Sorry not penatly points but dangerous driving and the like. They can be put on your license by court order. If you have these then the rental company will refuse you or charge you much more.

The back page of your license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Do I need a European Drivers Liscence to do so or is the bog standard full, pink irish liscence sufficient?

Actually it's called an international driving permit.
    You can walk into the AA shop on Drury St without appointment and they'll make you up one there and then. AA Link

But I think it's only "really" required where police can't read the Irish driving language, eg. non-English speaking countries.

You should be grand driving in the States, I drove around Washington DC for 3 months last year.

If you've never driven an automatic, you'll get used to it very fast.
    Basically stick it in "drive" and when stopping at traffic lights, keep your foot on the footbrake, don't bother taking out of gear.

Main differences in driving in the States

1) Some States let you turn right even when there's a red light, as long as it's safe and there's no pedestrians. Thats the rule in Washington DC / Virginia anyways.
    So if someone starts beeping while you're waiting to turn right on a red light, you'll know why.
    Some exceptions, specific junctions may have signs saying "No right turn on red".

2) Garage
    You have to pay first, then fill up. Or, most petrol pumps accept credit/debit cards directly so you don't even have to go into the shop.

3) Sat NAV
    Essential item. If you're renting a car, see if they supply them with the car for an extra charge.

4) Slip-roads to / from highways
    Beware, some of these can be very severe bends only taken at slow speeds.
    It's not like here where you can still go 100kph exiting the M50.

5) Some states/cities allow use of mobile phones while driving, some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

BIG TIP!!!!

Concentrate when turning left across a road...... remember what side of the road to stay on. thats the major crash inducing fault i think.

Oh and if you have never driven left hand drive you may want you co-pilot to remind you when you creep to close to another car. because i found because i was used to driving right hand drive i came awful close to side swiping cars.

3) Sat NAV
    Essential item. If you're renting a car, see if they supply them with the car for an extra charge.

Or cheaper yet. Bring your own or borrow somebodies. Put the US map on the Sat Nav and save yourself a bundle. I often loan out my Sat Nav to family members or the boss because I have all of Europe, the US and the Australia maps on my Sat Nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Driving the states - point straight ahead, after 50 miles turn left, drive straight, repeat :P

Rental companies charge a lot for sat nav, would almost be cheaper to buy a unit.

McSpud wrote: »
    Driving the states - point straight ahead, after 50 miles turn left, drive straight, repeat :P

Rental companies charge a lot for sat nav, would almost be cheaper to buy a unit.

My unit which is the original of the Tom Tom species on sale on Ebay for €69 + shipping including the UK & Ireland map. Could be cheaper than rental company and you can bring it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can also use a bit of the Irish charm and see if they'll give you a free upgrade with sat nav. The desk reps are usually sound and upgrade you or for a small bit extra you can get a nicer car. Say you've never driven on the right and don't want the hassle of looking for at maps after a long flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Berty wrote: »
    Or cheaper yet. Bring your own or borrow somebodies. Put the US map on the Sat Nav and save yourself a bundle. I often loan out my Sat Nav to family members or the boss because I have all of Europe, the US and the Australia maps on my Sat Nav.

+1

I've a garmin nuvi 250 and I picked up american maps on a SD card (off US ebay) that slots into the sat nav. It worked a treat, the software has most hotels, attractions and gas stations already in it so you can just search for them and the nav will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Standard Irish licence is fine, but if you've recently passed your test check with the rental company before you travel as some of them require you to have held a full licence for 12 months or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

the pink license was fine, i got a ticket in Arizona and the nice man with the mirrored sunglass asked why we hadn't moved to plastic licenses and was it an anti English thing. i assured him I'd inquire when i got home.

american cops are sound as long as you dont give them attitude.

yes sir , no sir, 3 bags full sir.

In america you must stop fully at stop signs.
    NEVER EVER EVER overtake a school bus!!!!!!!!!!!

and make sure all the bulbs on the car are working ;)

they can write you a ticket for that.

Martron wrote: »
    In america you must stop fully at stop signs.QUOTE]

yeah yeah before anyone else says it ..... iknow you must fully stop here but it is enforced over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Watch out for 4 way stop signs. You must stop. If its busy you take your turn (and AFAICR the turn rotates clockwise???) When it is your turn then GO, you'll confuse the hell of out everyone if you don't.
    Also after a certain time at night some less busy traffic lights go onto flashing yellow rather than cycling red green yellow.
    With any kind of merging situation it's always one from each lane. Again if you decide to be extra polite and let two cars out everyone gets confused. It's not worth it.
    In some states if a car is stopped at the side of a fast two lane road the traffic is expected to move out into the fast lane.
    Forget about the posted speed limit on highways, just keep up with the traffic.
    The driving style varies a lot by region in the US. In general the more strict the gun laws in a particular state the more aggressive the driving style. (Boston is very aggressive)
    I found my TomTom worked slightly differently with the US map. Specifically on a highway when you got to 2 miles from your exit it says "Your exit is straight ahead". At first I assumed this meant the next exit is your exit but it really means keep going straight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you drive a manual in Ireland, then take a few minutes if your hire car is an auto. When I was in the US in November we had a couple of hard stops in the parking garage when I went for the clutch with my left foot and hit the brake.

Highway driving is easy, keep within about 5mph of the speed limit and you will be fine. The roads are generally good and US drivers are way better than the idiots you typically find on the M50 or similar here.

We drove in Vegas which has 4 lanes in each direction but it was still pretty stress free even in heavy traffic. The most important thing was to know your route so you can change lanes in time. They don't do they stop-start type of city driving we have here, everyone just rolls along in 2nd or 3rd gear so it all moves smoothly.

Trickiest thing I found was turning left at a big junction with traffic lights and remembering how the "right turn on red" rules applied at junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

In america you must stop fully at stop signs.QUOTE]

yeah yeah before anyone else says it ..... iknow you must fully stop here but it is enforced over there

definitely the "rolling" stop is a no-no,i think in general the level of enforcement in the states is much greater than what you would be used
    to on this side....depending on where you go, you have state,city, township and sherriff departments
    all working for the same revenues from traffic violations.
    also if you decide to travel out of boston...keep on the right side of the
    law if you pass through rhode island...dutiful state troopers they are:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Turning right on a green light at a cross roads - just be aware that pedestrians crossing on the right will probably have a green man, I nearly hit a pedestrian in Illinois. It might just apply to certain junctions, urban areas so just check the ped lights when turning at traffic lights.

Cross roads near schools generally have a sign 'no right turn on red when children present'

Some states dont allow anything to be stuck onto the windscreen so you might want to consider a mat for a sat nav. I dont know how to find out where this applies.

Some (or most) states dont require hands free devices for mobiles.

Always park in the direction of traffic (also the rule here) $30 fine in Utah.

Speeding fines are increased and speed limits reduced at road works and these are usually well signposted.

Forget about your left foot, use your right foot for brake and accelerate, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

lafortezza wrote: »
    If you drive a manual in Ireland, then take a few minutes if your hire car is an auto. When I was in the US in November we had a couple of hard stops in the parking garage when I went for the clutch with my left foot and hit the brake.

I think everyone makes that mistake for first few minutes. Best not to use left leg at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I go to the US frequently. Some things you need to get used to -

Get an IDP, they're cheap but very useful to have. You may not need it, but it can save hassle and time. Some rental companies will insist on it.

Right turn on green light, pedestrians always have the right of way.
    Right turn on red (is actually against the law) but everyone does it. Just be careful.
    Turning left, make sure to take it wide and not end up in the oncoming traffic.
    Stick to the speed limit (give or take 5mph).
    The vast majority of cars are automatic. Just put your left leg to sleep.
    Cruise control is handy - use it if you can.
    4 way stops - always come to a full stop. One car from each side then goes, in turn, clockwise.
    There are no yield signs in the US, and there are very very few roundabouts.

Watch out at any roundabout, since Americans just don't understand them.

Other than that, relax and enjoy the open roads.

I think everyone makes that mistake for first few minutes. Best not to use left leg at all.

I nearly crashed the 3.5 V6 I was driving on their polished floors in the underground. I had never driven an automatic and thought if yanks could do it so could I. There was a lot of screeching and a lot of hard braking. Getting to the toll booth on the I95 was funny. I just kept bouncing the car up the road. Silly tourists !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Paulw wrote: »
    Right turn on red (is actually against the law) but everyone does it. Just be careful.

Right turns on red are legal, however you can't turn right on red at all traffic lights. If the junction you are at doesn't allow a right turn on red you will see a sign with black writing on a white background saying "No right turn on red". So always come to a complete stop at any red light if turning right, check to make sure there is no "No right turn on red" sign, and if the oncoming traffic is clear then make the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Paulw wrote: »
    I go to the US frequently. Some things you need to get used to -

Get an IDP, they're cheap but very useful to have. You may not need it, but it can save hassle and time. Some rental companies will insist on it.
    Must have rented 20-30 cars over the years and never once been asked for it in either the US or Canada
    Dont think its against the law. I know NYC its illegal unless signposted. Elsewhere its legal unless stated you cant turn on red.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

NEVER EVER EVER overtake a school bus!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that not just when the stop sign on the side of the bus is out signaling that a child is getting out?

lynchie wrote: »
    Must have rented 20-30 cars over the years and never once been asked for it in either the US or Canada

Dont think its against the law. I know NYC its illegal unless signposted. Elsewhere its legal unless stated you cant turn on red.

In Florida you can turn right on a red unless signposted otherwise. Pedestrians still have the right of way when you are turning.

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Is that not just when the stop sign on the side of the bus is out signaling that a child is getting out?

No, you cannot pass the bus on a single lane carraigeway stop sign or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you're pulled over:

Don't get out of your car, wait for the copper to come to you.
    Don't reach for anything in the car. The copper might think you're going for a gun.

Sounds dumb, but it's true. Firend of mine on a J1 got a face full of mace because some jerkwater sherriff pulled him for speeding, and he stuck his hand abruptly into the glove compartment for his papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

All of the above posts are complete rubbish!!

In Americaland you can drive as fast as you like, no one really cares.

If the tubby policeman does drag himself away from his doughnuts and chases you.....DO NOT STOP.....they all give up on chases within a couple of miles because their crappy cars break down or the cop gets hungry again.

Stop signs are optional, especially on Tuesdays.

As with stop signs.....traffic lights are more of a guide line than an actual rule.

Don't bother spending money on a satnav, just pull off the highway and stop in the first neighbourhood you find and ask for directions. And if you are in LA there are specially trained tourist guides that will be extra helpful, they are so easy to spot as they will be wearing a red or blue bandana and can usually be found sat on the porches of houses in the area. Their supervisors dress in red or blue from head to toe so look out for them if you need any extra help.

Dont bother spending money on the extra insurance those car rental firms charge, everyone knows it is a rip off. Just buy or rent a gun for your stay and if you are involved in an accident then the easiest thing to do is shoot your way out of trouble.

Let us know how you get on.

Disclaimer: Some or all of this post may not be true. You are advised to seek independant advice.

Glad to be of help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think a lot of people have missed this ..... ask for the smallest or one of the smallest cars available....as compact as possible - unless you are taking a full car around.

I asked for a normal car in LA last year - ended out with a monster about 20feet long (slight dramatisation)

all the advice previously given is what I would say, oh.... guess it normally only applies to San Fran but - if you are parking on a hill make sure you kerb your wheels (turn them towards the kerb).

Parking the same direction as traffic is important as well as the junction advice given earlier.

Best of luck and have fun !!!

Advertisement